AHC/PC: a King's Russian Legion in alt-WWII?

As it says on the tin, assuming for whatever reason the UK and USSR/any other kind of Russian power are on different sides of the war, how far outside the realm of possibility would it be for the British government to recruit Russians to fight against said Russian power?

Marc A

There was the Murmansk Legion in British employ IOTL, made up of Finnish Reds. In the right circumstances I could see something similar done with Russians, plausibly in a rather small scale.

Do you mean Alt WW2? Because in WW I the mention of the USSR makes no sense
I'm currently working on a series of stories that takes place in an alt-WWII, in which a reformed British Empire + Allies had to deal with a German-Russian alliance.

But to answer your question: yeah, I'm opening up the possibility of a KRL being raised against a non-Communist Russia, too - I dunno, Generic Fascist (TM) or Theocratic Russia would be interesting to fight against, I suppose.

Marc A

There was the Murmansk Legion in British employ IOTL, made up of Finnish Reds. In the right circumstances I could see something similar done with Russians, plausibly in a rather small scale.
I'm guessing that was during the Russian Civil War?

"Rather small scale", you say... so a battalion at most, then, probably. I guess I can work with that, yeah... [twirls non-existent moustache]

Marc A

I'm currently working on a series of stories that takes place in an alt-WWII, in which a reformed British Empire + Allies had to deal with a German-Russian alliance.

But to answer your question: yeah, I'm opening up the possibility of a KRL being raised against a non-Communist Russia, too - I dunno, Generic Fascist (TM) or Theocratic Russia would be interesting to fight against, I suppose.

Marc A

Ah. You might want to fix your title than. This may have been an accident, but you put up "WW-I" not "WW-II".

In that case, yah its certainly possible. There's plenty of Russian White Emigrees who could form the core of an Anti-Soviet legion. Especailly if the alt-Russian Civil War results in the British being the ones to evacuate White leadership and military forces from the front to an exile in the Empire, they could form a verteran basis for paramilitary/forgein legions to train recruits for the liberation of the Motherland. Especially if you have German resistance forces added to that (which is certainly possible if there's a tradtion of hosting dissidents in that White Russian example) it could be formidable especially as irregulars that are designed to operate behind the lines.

Here's a few examples you might want to look into as an inspriation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_émigré#Organizations_and_activities

WI the KRL was recruited in Canada?
Large numbers of Ukrainians emmivrated to Canada shortly before WW1. Many came from parts of the Ukraine occupied by the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. They did not enjoy the way AHE treated Ukranans. Most settled on the Canadian Prairies and farmed.

Ah. You might want to fix your title than. This may have been an accident, but you put up "WW-I" not "WW-II".

In that case, yah its certainly possible. There's plenty of Russian White Emigrees who could form the core of an Anti-Soviet legion. Especailly if the alt-Russian Civil War results in the British being the ones to evacuate White leadership and military forces from the front to an exile in the Empire, they could form a verteran basis for paramilitary/forgein legions to train recruits for the liberation of the Motherland. Especially if you have German resistance forces added to that (which is certainly possible if there's a tradtion of hosting dissidents in that White Russian example) it could be formidable especially as irregulars that are designed to operate behind the lines.

Here's a few examples you might want to look into as an inspriation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_émigré#Organizations_and_activities
Yop tvayu mat, how did I even - yup, title fixed, thanks.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm shooting for... oh, I got it: a main-line Romanov survived. I don't know about you, but Tsarina Anastasia, Breaker of Chains, Colonel-in-Chief of the KRL would be... utterly awesome (yeah I'm totally looping Once Upon A December when posting this).

WI the KRL was recruited in Canada?
Large numbers of Ukrainians emmivrated to Canada shortly before WW1. Many came from parts of the Ukraine occupied by the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. They did not enjoy the way AHE treated Ukranans. Most settled on the Canadian Prairies and farmed.
Ooooo, that's new to me. Certainly worth looking into. Although... those were Ukranians. Would they be okay with being lumped in the same group as Russians?

Then again, Queen Elizabeth's Ukranian Lancers, Canadian Army, sounds pretty cool by itself.

Marc A

I am not an expert, but I imagine something like this would be very likely in a world where the Soviet Union formally joins the Axis.

Yop tvayu mat, how did I even - yup, title fixed, thanks.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm shooting for... oh, I got it: a main-line Romanov survived. I don't know about you, but Tsarina Anastasia, Breaker of Chains, Colonel-in-Chief of the KRL would be... utterly awesome (yeah I'm totally looping Once Upon A December when posting this).

Marc A

No need: there are other heirs to the Ronanovs. Legitimatist claims would be for Nicky's cousin Kirill and his line,especially since it's paternal and would be steadily headed by adults who's identity could be easily verified. His son Vladimir would even be of ripe military age during the mid-30's tension and could even fight alongside his loyal subjects

That is a great suggestion. I've already written a few lines for an exchange between Captain Vladimir Romanov of the KRL, Emperor of All the Russias, and [redacted].

Marc A

One of the dangers of me writing a story is that brief scenes would require massive research...

[scribbles note about Kerensky and Denikin]

Marc A

If Britain is invading Russia in alt-WWII, it is eminently plausible. Even the Nazis found some ex-whites and antibolsheviks to fight for them, and recruitment can only be bolstered once the "genocide the Slavs" rhetoric is removed. IMO the limiting factor would be the ability of the British to find trustworthy officers who spoke both English and Russian to organize their logistics and convey their orders.

As for a Romanov commanding it, particularly if it is somehow claiming to be a legitimist Russian military and exists as a peacetime establishment, well, Stalin will be investing in some extra icepick repositories.

If Britain is invading Russia in alt-WWII, it is eminently plausible. Even the Nazis found some ex-whites and antibolsheviks to fight for them, and recruitment can only be bolstered once the "genocide the Slavs" rhetoric is removed. IMO the limiting factor would be the ability of the British to find trustworthy officers who spoke both English and Russian to organize their logistics and convey their orders.

As for a Romanov commanding it, particularly if it is somehow claiming to be a legitimist Russian military and exists as a peacetime establishment, well, Stalin will be investing in some extra icepick repositories.
I freely admit my idea of a KRL is greatly inspired by the Hitler "NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN" from Inglorious Basterds, only this timr it'd be "NYET". Watching Stalin go off the chains is morbidly hilarious.

My current plan is to have a White Russian general (will resort to using an OC if necessary) as nominal commander of the KRL, which would comprise of several regiments (like KGL from the Napoleonic Wars), and ITTL Vladimir Kirillovich would pursue a military career, likely reaching company-grade by the time war breaks out.

Marc A

Last edited: