Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Since two separate branches of my own family controlled Italy and Portugal, in order to strike an alliance I kind of paired two couples of cousins to each other.

I did something like that because two branches of the family developed different bloodlines, so I arranged marriages between cousins so the offsprings would have both.

You are a better player then me. I have never had a genius character. Ever.

Maybe I should make that a goal in my next run. Thinking Reconqusita.

Also never let random lowborns be a first wife. Only like a third wife. Even with the best stats.

Unless you’re a count. But Dukes and Kings wouldn’t just marry someone without a name.

Two successive rulers died in the middle of attempting to get the Alexander bloodline.

Third ruler who is pursuing the Alexander bloodline gets sick, chooses the "brave" treatment option, is healed via castration and thus survives to get the bloodline. Is this a victory?

Two successive rulers died in the middle of attempting to get the Alexander bloodline.

Third ruler who is pursuing the Alexander bloodline gets sick, chooses the "brave" treatment option, is healed via castration and thus survives to get the bloodline. Is this a victory?
a07cb42a7412b233ff98ddc187af3142.jpg

It took about 6 restarts, but I finally got a good ironman Karling run going. Seized Rome from the pope before he had the chance to build any churches, looking forward to 5 baronies in my capital.

Enthroned Ogier as Duke of Normandie. His martial is an insane, in the mid 30s. Hoping his descendants form the norman culture. Also stuck Roland in Vannes, safely away from battle or the Basque. Both have at least two sons, their heirs married to the daughters of Grifo Karling and his brother Karl.

Adopted Italian culture for the pike retinue. I swear by the swiss company, so having my own pike man should be awesome.

Also overthrew the pope for my canidate. Now just waiting for my threat to go down before I seize Bavaria for my cousin Grifo.

Soban the Great Tiger is dead. His last few years were... a bit of a failure.

Not much because of his warring abilities as he finished the conquest of Persia (I know have all of the de-jure Empire) and because the Zuhaid Empire technically didn't lose any territory aside from a Nomadic province on his death (no buildings had been built there and they belonged to a vassal). But in terms of personnal life?

To start off, he contracted smallpox. Though he eventually recovered, he kept suffering from the illness for his last campaign.
This didn't stop him from trying to acquire the position of Hero in the Keepers of the Sun. His opponents was twenty years older than him... He lost both the fight and an eye to her. It's probably my fault as I wasn't expecting a duel for the position (first time it happened to me) and, had I known, I probably would have waited for his fighting abilities to go back into the positives (Smallpox is a bitch in terms of fighting abilities).

And then came the Monk. On his way back to Kandahar after his last war (or to crush nomadic raiders in Khojand, reports disagree), Soban encountered a Christian Monk by the name of Augusto. He invited him to stay at his court for a time. The next day, the monk had disappeared and Soban was found dead behind his chessboards... Having lost the game.
To clarify, I basically got the "Chess with Death" event which can pop out randomly and is incredibly hard to win. As expected I lost... Which kinda pissed me off because I knew this was going to happen when the Monk showed up. It also doesn't help that I really wanted to do more with Soban.

Anyway, after the 12 years of Soban's reigns, the Elders still agreed to nominate his son as successor. Mursalin II is thus now the seventh Dastur of the Church of Zun and the third Emperor of Zuhaid Persia at the tender age of 19.

In other news, my vassals have essentially destroyed two of my neighbours after wars I fought. The once proud Kingdom of Armenia is nothing more than a shadow of its former glory: after losing the war against Mursalin I, the Ashtakids, one of the dynasties I installed as Satraps, took a huge chunck of territory. And then the realm imploded, leaving most notably a pretty large independant Duchy of Edessa. And to the South, the Satraps of Baghdad have conquered the de-jure Al Bahreïn in a Holy War against the Uwaysid Caliph. To make it clear though, this probably would have failed had the Caliph not foolishly tried to invade Hormuz while Soban was busy kicking butt in India for the Keepers of the Flame.
What's the most inbreeding you've done outside of Zoroastrian/Targaryen playthroughs?
I tend to avoid inbreeding, unless I have no other option to ensure dynastic heirs. So outside of Zoroastrian/Targaryen playthroughs, I've generally avoided close kin marriages.

My current Zunist run probably fits the bill though as Zunism technically didn't start with divine marriage until I reformed it with the Dawnbreakers doctrine (and that also includes Polygamy). And even then, my rulers and their heirs are a bit of an exception as I tend to look for non-aggression pacts and alliances primarily when looking for spouses. That said, I've also had no problems accepting requests to see my character's daughters marry their relatives when said relatives ask.

Depends. Did he have children before being castrated?

Depends. Did he have children before being castrated?

Aye, he was in his forties and had had five children with his imperial Chinese wife. Indeed getting the bloodline was made possible because he'd just installed his second son as King of Africa via Crusade.

I see they have stepped up their game with military headgear.

And that's not the weirdest thing about her.

She's the daughter of my current character, married to the half-brother of my current character (to keep the crown of Lithuania in Grimaldi hands), and her daughter is married to one of my sons (because she's her only daughter, and Matilda looks like she'll die in battle soon, and I got to keep that crown and the alliance close).

Wincest.

And that's not the weirdest thing about her.

She's the daughter of my current character, married to the half-brother of my current character (to keep the crown of Lithuania in Grimaldi hands), and her daughter is married to one of my sons (because she's her only daughter, and Matilda looks like she'll die in battle soon, and I got to keep that crown and the alliance close).

Wincest.

I approve.

When my current character dies, I'm going to grant the eldest son the Kingdom of Wealas (Wales), the second son the Kingdom of Mierce (Mercia), and the third son the Kingdom of Ireland. After that I'm sure there will be lots of intermarriage between the three kingdoms. As it is, up til now we have been intermarrying a lot with the descendants of Halfdan Ragnarrson Hvitserk, Sigurd "Snake In Eye" Ragnarrson Sigurding and Ubbe Ragnarrson Ubbing. Not so much Ivar Boneless or Bjorn but Ivar's descendants have lost most of their land or gone Catholic... Though they inherited the Fylkerate when the male line Sigurding's died out... I assume they will die out soon too as they've continued to lose the land under the Fylkerate's control. Meanwhile the descendants of Bjorn are also losing land in Sweden... and will live on as Rurikids...

At least the Reformed Germanic Pagan faith is strong and spreading across Europe.

Forged my first bloodline as Charlemagne, or Emperor Carlo the Philosopher. He is 66 years old.

My third wife was the genius Italian Augusta Corvina. Are second son and my youngest son, Dioniso, took after his mother and now reigns over west and middle Francia as king.

Are first son together came out ugly and is known as Cesare the Hideous. He reigns over the Kingdom of Burgundy.

My oldest legitimate son, Carlo II, inherited the Kingdom of Italy from his mother Anselperga, an Alachisling princess turned Queen. I had originally gifted Italy to the son of my brother Karloman, Pepin, but Desiderius succeeded in overthrowing him and lived till I murdered him, at the spry age of 71.

Aquitaine is ruled by Pepin the Hunchback, a bastard still, but matrilinealy married to a daughter of the Bavarian Karlings. Luckily his condition did not pass on to his 4 children.

East Francia is ruled by Tancred, a son of the Bavarian Karlings. He spent most of his life despising me, after I raised him and pushed him to seek true greatness. He has plotted my death and Carlo II's demise once each, but even as a rival his opinion of me was near or at 100 most of his reign.

The Kingdom of Frisia is ruled by King Ferruccio, the son of my legitimized daughter Amaudru and a scion of the Folcwaldings, the old Kings of Frisia. Amaudru was murdered shortly after giving birth to her third Karling child by her husband Nordalah. I suspect his involvement, but have no proof. His second son, a member of his dynasty reigns as Duke of Gelre and is Ferruccio's heir.

Ogier af Sully, known as the Dane, adopted the Frankish culture, so my attempt at creating Norman's is a bust. He was my Marshall for around 30 years, before I gifted West Francia to Dioniso. He led a short lived rebellion against my son in favor of the Merohingi, Theoderic. I asked him to stop his rebellion, he agreed, but died in my sons dungeons at age 68. His second son Alfgeir now reigns over Normandie.

The Kingdom of Brittany was ruled by King Roland, who spent most of his career simply as the count of Vannes, until my finances and threat were ok to push for claims on half of the duchy of Brittany. He was a decent steward for the Empire, and a true friend. His son Austol de Bretagne rules the Breton now.

When I murdered old King Desiderius, his substantial holdings were divided between his surviving daughters, who had all been married and produced legitimate heirs with myself, and my Bavarian cousins. With a little luck, fortuitous marriages, and some murder, a few other Italian duchies and counties fell to my dynasty.

I also matrilinealy married off my sister, and two of my daughters by Augusta, to superb commanders I had attracted to court. Their children rule Kleves and Luxembourg.

I am quite pleased with this Karling run so far. Emperor Carlo is 66 now, and my only regret is that I was never in a position to press the claim of the Bavarian Karlings to Bavaria before they passed. Despite this, their sons rule or are married to the rulers of several territories in Italy, as well as the Kingdom of East Francia.

And one other thing. My heir Carlo II is married to the granddaughter of Karloman, so I'm proud to say the family is finally healed.

Last edited:
Question pre holy fury release in the dev dairy wasn't the middle kingdom in italy called romaga or something related to the romans? Cause in game its called the papal states if i conquer it will it still be called that?

I hope at some point they make it so the Fraticelli Papacy can also get k_papalstates (that's the Papal States that becomes Romagna, k_papacy is the Catholic Papacy).