Islam in Japan

The Islam that might hypothetically grow in Japan has to deal not only with the concept of coexistence with a polytheist religion that is central to imperial authority, but also things like a general popularity of alcohol. The more it adapts to Japanese culture and customs- the more unique it will become, and such a community might get the same treatment from Middle East Muslims as Alawites or Ahmadiyya get in our timeline.

The Islam that might hypothetically grow in Japan has to deal not only with the concept of coexistence with a polytheist religion that is central to imperial authority, but also things like a general popularity of alcohol. The more it adapts to Japanese culture and customs- the more unique it will become, and such a community might get the same treatment from Middle East Muslims as Alawites or Ahmadiyya get in our timeline.

The Korean alcohol soju and Japanese alcohol shochu can trace their descent from the Levantine alcohol araq. There was a caliph of the Ottoman Empire named Selim the Sot. Islam's effect on alcohol historically wasn't to destroy it, but to impoverish it via discouragement (leading to the extinction of many historic grape varieties from Mauretania to Iran). Remaining sorts of wine, or later distilled drinks like araq, would be eagerly consumed by less orthodox Muslims, up to and including the ruling class.

Traditional Hui Islam was generally heterodox, so any traditional Japanese Islam would likewise be the same. If there's a Japanese ruler who declares himself Caliph, then odds are good his variety of Islam won't be very orthodox either. Pork was and is a major meat in Japan, so there needs to be a workaround. Sake was a huge part of government revenue since the Middle Ages (as late as the Russo-Japanese War, about 30-40% of government revenue on either side was funded by alcohol taxes). There's always been a loophole in some groups of Muslims about what alcohol Muhammad forbade (in opposition to the orthodox Muslim position that all alcohol is forbidden)--some say only intoxicants of grapes and dates are banned, and not those of wheat, honey, etc. Sake, made from rice, would thus be exempted under this view (nowadays a heterodox view), as would most all shochu, which is made from rice, barley, buckwheat, and even more odd ingredients like sweet potato, green tea, etc.

The Korean alcohol soju and Japanese alcohol shochu can trace their descent from the Levantine alcohol araq. There was a caliph of the Ottoman Empire named Selim the Sot. Islam's effect on alcohol historically wasn't to destroy it, but to impoverish it via discouragement (leading to the extinction of many historic grape varieties from Mauretania to Iran). Remaining sorts of wine, or later distilled drinks like araq, would be eagerly consumed by less orthodox Muslims, up to and including the ruling class.

Traditional Hui Islam was generally heterodox, so any traditional Japanese Islam would likewise be the same. If there's a Japanese ruler who declares himself Caliph, then odds are good his variety of Islam won't be very orthodox either. Pork was and is a major meat in Japan, so there needs to be a workaround. Sake was a huge part of government revenue since the Middle Ages (as late as the Russo-Japanese War, about 30-40% of government revenue on either side was funded by alcohol taxes). There's always been a loophole in some groups of Muslims about what alcohol Muhammad forbade (in opposition to the orthodox Muslim position that all alcohol is forbidden)--some say only intoxicants of grapes and dates are banned, and not those of wheat, honey, etc. Sake, made from rice, would thus be exempted under this view (nowadays a heterodox view), as would most all shochu, which is made from rice, barley, buckwheat, and even more odd ingredients like sweet potato, green tea, etc.
Interesting bit about the different sources of alcohol being treated differently. Forgot about the pork issue, as I thought Japanese in those times didn't get to eat meat often. I guess it was more available than I thought. Climate plays a role in food preference. The colder a winter can get in any given area, the more caloric food will be preferred.

Interesting bit about the different sources of alcohol being treated differently. Forgot about the pork issue, as I thought Japanese in those times didn't get to eat meat often. I guess it was more available than I thought. Climate plays a role in food preference. The colder a winter can get in any given area, the more caloric food will be preferred.

IIRC pork would have been the most common meat the peasant in Japan would have eaten (except fish in some parts). They normally would have eaten millet, buckwheat, or brown rice, which wasn't as prestiged as white (polished) rice like the elite ate, which ironically gave the peasants an advantage in nutrition since buckwheat, brown rice, etc. have important nutrients which white rice lacks. A lot of rice was also sold to sake breweries, which were often under the control of monasteries or the government (and monasteries had an unfortunate tendency of fighting with the government).

It's also worth noting that to this day, shochu production is most associated with Kyushu.

Or the Emperor/Shogun could convert and declare himself Caliph/Amir al-Mu'minin and thus still be the spiritual leader of the country, which when you're facing such strong religious opposition, would be an option. Not much difference from that and the early Christian Roman Emperors, other than that Islam has a longer tradition of rulers recognised as heads of the religious community (even to this day, like the Sultan of Sokoto's role amongst Nigerian Muslims).

I disagree with regards to Islam, as only a direct descendent of Muhammad (ie an Arab) can be a Caliph. I don’t know much about the Sokoto Caliphate, but my guess is the ruler was of mixed ancestry and could claim Arab paternity.
For the Japanese, it would be tricky to achieve being the direct descent of an Arab without being a half-breed, which would be seen as ‘less pure Japanese’

At least in the case of Christianity, being an heir to Christ’s throne was more spiritual than biologically genealogical, so an Emperor crowned by a pope could claim to be the Prince of Heaven regardless of his ancestry

I disagree with regards to Islam, as only a direct descendent of Muhammad (ie an Arab) can be a Caliph. I don’t know much about the Sokoto Caliphate, but my guess is the ruler was of mixed ancestry and could claim Arab paternity.
For the Japanese, it would be tricky to achieve being the direct descent of an Arab without being a half-breed, which would be seen as ‘less pure Japanese’

At least in the case of Christianity, being an heir to Christ’s throne was more spiritual than biologically genealogical, so an Emperor crowned by a pope could claim to be the Prince of Heaven regardless of his ancestry

The Sokoto Caliphate didn't claim the mantle of the Universal Successor of the Prophet, and in Sunni Islam there isent any strict ethnic requirement anyways (Shia Islam is different, believing the title is hereditary down the Line of Ali, but wouldn't be the sect involved here if we're talking about it being introduced by an Arabic and Malay merchant class). Rather, they were taking on the title as "Commander of the Faithful"; the protector and guide of a particular Islamic community.

A Japanese Emperor would by tricky to fit into a contemporary Islamic theological framework, that is true. However, the Muhgal Emperor's managed to square that circle, so I imagine you'd see a similar scenario that consolidated the Shinto traditions and spiritualism into an Islamic framework. One possability might be the melding of the spirits and the Jinn, with the Emperor being cast as a decendent of a great good Jinn that sealed away Ibles at God's command, and their tradition had involved Allah the whole time by a series of intervening spirits to advocate for their souls since they weren't directly exposed to the Revelation.

IIRC, only the Shi'ites have that requirement for the Caliph, specifically having him as a descendant of Ali via his children. Sunnis don't have that requirement, though it does add to the prestige if one is.

Based on the topic of this thread, I'm going to add in my opinion on the subject. It is not impossible to have Japanese Muslims in Japan but not in very large numbers, nor being dominant group in Japan. It'll be similar case to the Christians. Just as one of the religious minorities to say the least. But it can be started as the religion of merchants in Kyushu or fitted in Japanese framework like the Hui Chinese Muslims.

Although off-topic, I thought the main Japanese meat diet is seafood. Even though, pork is one of the main meats in Japan. Well, this is based on my observation from my Japan trip in 2016. I could be mistaken.

elkarlo

Banned
One thing that we've failed to mention is the Japanese themselves. Their leaders have deeply vested interests in keeping the Japanese away from ANY foreign influence, especially religious influence.
The Emperor is the highest priest of the Shinto religion. Any Japanese person who converts to a non-Japanese religion is effectively renouncing the leadership of the Emperor, which in turn leads to a rejection of the Shogunate's authority, which is treason against the nation.
This is exactly why the Japanese military dictatorship persecuted Christianity. The fact that Christianity had an organized church with foreign imperialist leaders at the helm only made it even more dangerous if people accepted their authority.

Basically, foreign religion can only gain traction in Japan if either:
A-The Emperorship and all traditional power structures are destroyed. Not even the USA in WW2 accomplished this. It would take genocide.
B-The foreign religion remoulds itself to be subjected to the Japanese system, like how Buddhism became syncretized with Shinto to form the modern Japanese ethno-religious culture. However, doing this would take away all the foreign aspects of said religion and just make it new Shinto with a new funny hat. Japanese Islam wouldn't really be Islam.

So basically, this late in the game, it's not doable. Maybe with a POD before the 11th Century, it's possible to replace Shinto in Japan with something else, but after the Shoguns take power, that chance slips away.
I agree. And as a long time resident , I've found two religions to have little appeal to the Japanese. Islam and Mormonism seem to be pretty low on interest level here. Not every religion matches with every religion. I feel that Catholism matched pretty well with pre edo Japan, while Islam wouldn't.. Islam never became popular in any oriental country ala Vietnam , Korea, Japan and China

I agree. And as a long time resident , I've found two religions to have little appeal to the Japanese. Islam and Mormonism seem to be pretty low on interest level here. Not every religion matches with every religion. I feel that Catholism matched pretty well with pre edo Japan, while Islam wouldn't.. Islam never became popular in any oriental country ala Vietnam , Korea, Japan and China
I think is more to do with european controling trade network in 1600s onward and colonization of South East Asia. Say for some reason European expedition to Asia happen significantly later than otl. While I doubt it will gain majority, 3-5% is plausible I think. With merchant made up majority of their communities.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but from what i read about portuguse expedition they are usually accompanied by some priest not to mention some support back home while Muslim state tend to focus convert their own domain with much of outside realm work done by merchant and occasional sufi traveler independent of state support. No wonder Catholic will spread faster.

Last edited:

It did in Indonesia and the Malay States as Oriental Countries.

And the Champa in Vietnam were Muslim for a while.

Islam was never attempted to spread in Korea, Vietnam or Japan. If they did there could be a small existing minority. Majority is unlikely if not impossible.

There might be some Sufi Orders with Shintoist and traditional elements.