Alternate Electoral Maps II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there is an easy access for determining the number of slaves vs non slaves in each of the censuses up to 1860? I'm trying to look to see what elections would be altered based on other fractions than 3/5. For example, if slaves were fully counted, then Jefferson would have beat Adams in 1796.
I've got this.

Attachments

• Population Data.pdf
    201.7 KB · Views: 188
So is my example with California correct? Or should I do something differently? If I'm reading you right, I would add 20% to Clinton's score in each individual state. But what about D.C.?
Yes, it's correct. you could swing each state by a different margin, if you want it to be more realistic. for instance, if you do a 20% swing to Clinton, she's going to get 81% in California which isn't really plausible in reality, even if she were winning 68% of the national popular vote. I would swing solid blue states by slightly less than swing or usually competitive states, with the rest of her PV margin coming from making major inroads in solidly GOP states. that's probably more realistic than her getting over 80% in states like California, Maryland, and Hawaii while only very narrowly winning - or losing - states that still have slight ancestral Democratic strength like Arkansas and West Virginia.

Yes, it's correct. you could swing each state by a different margin, if you want it to be more realistic. for instance, if you do a 20% swing to Clinton, she's going to get 81% in California which isn't really plausible in reality, even if she were winning 68% of the national popular vote. I would swing solid blue states by slightly less than swing or usually competitive states, with the rest of her PV margin coming from making major inroads in solidly GOP states. that's probably more realistic than her getting over 80% in states like California, Maryland, and Hawaii while only very narrowly winning - or losing - states that still have slight ancestral Democratic strength like Arkansas and West Virginia.
I see. So I guess that every state would swing differently. So basically, @Reagent's formula would be what I would use.

One final scenario, in honor of our late 41st President, George H.W. Bush. This is a map of a Bush landslide in 1988, based off the results of a Campaign Trail game:

genusmap.php

George H.W. Bush (R-Texas)/Danforth Quayle (R-Indiana)-535 EV-64.67%
Michael Dukakis (D-Massachusetts)/Lloyd Bentsen (D-Texas)-3 EV-34.66%
Others-0 EV-0.67%
Some interesting statistics:
  • Bush wins all fifty states. Not only does he win them, but he wins them all by double-digit margins. The closest state in this scenario is Rhode Island, which Bush wins by 11.25%. Dukakis is humiliated in Massachusetts, losing it by 14.90% (56.97-42.07%).
  • Bush receives over 60% of the vote in 28 states, including in Lloyd Bentsen's (and his adopted) home state of Texas. Texas gives 66.64% of its votes to the Bush-Quayle ticket.
  • Bush receives over 70% of the vote in 13 states: Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana (Quayle's home state), Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Utah, Virginia, and Wyoming.
  • Bush gets 20.55% of the vote in the District of Columbia.

9EE567D7-DCA4-4CE2-806F-39540F6E51E1.jpeg
676CBD54-500E-4D84-AD0E-88367E773586.jpeg

2012 Election on Earth 76

Tennessee Governor Gore-Arkansas Senator Blanche Lincoln

45.32%

266 ECV

Frm Secretary of State( 1993-1997) Condoleezza Rice

Illinois Senator Hilary Rodham

272 ECV

California Senator Jerry Brown

Frm New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson

9.89%

0 ECV

Others

0.19%

What formula would that be?
It was a uniform swing formula that he devised. I had wanted to swing the 2012 and 2016 elections to make them match 1964, in terms of PV and margin. The formula that he devised was basically this:

[(61.05-48.02) / (third party + (45.93-38.47))] * (third party + what you removed from Trump).

This is what I think it would have actually looked like if Clinton got 68% of the popular vote in 2016:

6RVoExHr.jpg

Most of her margin comes from doing much better in red states, as the most solidly Democratic states are already close to being maxed out. she gets into the low-to-mid 70s in states like California, Illinois, New York, Vermont, and Massachusetts, but only clears 80% in Hawaii and DC. she improves dramatically in red states that are trending D, like Texas and Georgia, and wins narrow victories in the most solidly GOP states like Utah, Wyoming, and Oklahoma. those last three states would be the only ones decided by single digits IMO.

This is what I think it would have actually looked like if Clinton got 68% of the popular vote in 2016:

6RVoExHr.jpg

Most of her margin comes from doing much better in red states, as the most solidly Democratic states are already close to being maxed out. she gets into the low-to-mid 70s in states like California, Illinois, New York, Vermont, and Massachusetts, but only clears 80% in Hawaii and DC. she improves dramatically in red states that are trending D, like Texas and Georgia, and wins narrow victories in the most solidly GOP states like Utah, Wyoming, and Oklahoma. those last three states would be the only ones decided by single digits IMO.
I see. How do you think she would have done if she got 61.05% of the popular vote, like Johnson?

1968 election but instead of Nixon and Humphrey, Reagan and RFK get their party's nominations instead. (And obviously RFK survives)
genusmap.php

Senator Robert F. Kennedy/ Governor John Connally - 276 EV
Fmr Governor Ronald Reagan/ Governor James A. Rhodes - 217 EV
Fmr Governor George Wallace/ General Curtis LeMay - 45 EV

And here's 1972
genusmap.php

President Robert F. Kennedy/ Vice President John Connally - 332 EV
Governor Nelson Rockefeller/ Senator Howard Baker - 206 EV

1968 election but instead of Nixon and Humphrey, Reagan and RFK get their party's nominations instead. (And obviously RFK survives)
genusmap.php

And here's 1972
genusmap.php

Why does Kennedy do so well in the Mountain West, and why does he lose West Virginia both times?

My take on what the electoral maps for the 1912 and 1916 elections for Bullmoose at Bay. (Only he doesn't end WW1 in a year.)
genusmap.php

Fmr President Theodore Roosevelt/ Governor Hiram Johnson - 292 EV
Governor Woodrow Wilson/ Governor Thomas R. Marshall - 231 EV
President William Howard Taft/ Nicholas M. Butler - 8 EV

genusmap.php

President Theodore Roosevelt/ Vice President Hiram Johnson - 268 EV
Speaker Champ Clark/ Mayor James H. Preston - 167 EV
Governor Charles Evan Hughes/ Fmr Vice President Charles W. Fairbanks - 96 EV

genusmap.php

And here's 1972
genusmap.php

Reagan would take much of Wallace’s support in the south

Status
Not open for further replies.