EVEN MOAR ETHIOPIA TLS

Despite the fact that I've made several threads about this, I'd like to give people the option of giving me ideas for more Ethiopia-centered TLs. So, welcome to whatever . . . this is and please give me all the ideas you can!

*despite the fact i'll never know if i end up finishing some of these lmao

Axum? That opens doors of possibilities, taking Nubia, taking Himyar and Hejaz, butterflying Islam or altering it significantly, etc. etc.

Axum? That opens doors of possibilities, taking Nubia, taking Himyar and Hejaz, butterflying Islam or altering it significantly, etc. etc.
If you consider Axum to be Ethiopia, then of course but I am also interested in some post-Axum Ethiopia TL recommendations!

If we're going with Aksum, a good POD would be under the rule of Kaleb (who coincidentally I share a name with). Himyar was lost under his rule, but if aksumite forces are successfully able to recapture himyar, aksum's ascendant position in the red sea and dominance of south arabia could remain indefinitely.

If we're going with Aksum, a good POD would be under the rule of Kaleb (who coincidentally I share a name with). Himyar was lost under his rule, but if aksumite forces are successfully able to recapture himyar, aksum's ascendant position in the red sea and dominance of south arabia could remain indefinitely.
What effects do you think this might have on the Horn of Africa?

Well, aksum would most likely have greater resources and manpower to throw around, which could be used in attempts to conquer the south (and thus secure the whole of ethiopia)
Perhaps we see Axumite Ethiopia to expand to include Djibouti and parts of Somalia?

Do you have some post-1900 recommendations?

Actual kingdom of Prester John? I don't have a clue where this would go, I just think it would be cool if the kingdom was more than legend.

Considering how much contact Ethiopia had with India, i think it'd be interesting and quite unique to see a Buddhist Axum/Ethiopia TL.

Can you elaborate on this idea?

Perhaps.
From Wikipedia:
Prester John (Latin: Presbyter Johannes) was a legendary Christian patriarch, presbyter(elder) and king who was popular in European chronicles and tradition from the 12th through the 17th centuries. He was said to rule over a Nestorian (Church of the East) Christian nation lost amid the Muslims and pagans of the Orient, in which the Patriarch of the Saint Thomas Christians resided. The accounts are varied collections of medieval popular fantasy, depicting Prester John as a descendant of the Three Magi, ruling a kingdom full of riches, marvels, and strange creatures.

At first, Prester John was imagined to reside in India; tales of the Nestorian Christians' evangelistic success there and of Thomas the Apostle's subcontinental travels as documented in works like the Acts of Thomasprobably provided the first seeds of the legend. After the coming of the Mongols to the Western world, accounts placed the king in Central Asia, and eventually Portuguese explorers convinced themselves that they had found him in Ethiopia.
/QUOTE]

From Wikipedia:
No, I'm aware of what/who Prester John is but I'm not sure what your scenario was supposed to entail - a surviving Axumite state within the borders of Ethiopia IOTL? A Solomonic Ethiopia that manages to hold its own against surrounding Islamic states and maintain contact with Christendom?

No, I'm aware of what/who Prester John is but I'm not sure what your scenario was supposed to entail - a surviving Axumite state within the borders of Ethiopia IOTL? A Solomonic Ethiopia that manages to hold its own against surrounding Islamic states and maintain contact with Christendom?
It would be the latter, I don't believe the Prester John legend had any relation to Axum.

What do you mean by "mainline Orthodoxy"?

It wouldn't be considered Miaphyte I think he means.

As for some interesting ideas... well, maybe Ethiopia helped the Arabs with their revolt and getting someone friendly to them (as in not anyone from the House of Saud) onto the throne.

Maybe it could convince Arabia to take more Southern Arabic inspiration like switching writing styles.

It wouldn't be considered Miaphyte I think he means.

As for some interesting ideas... well, maybe Ethiopia helped the Arabs with their revolt and getting someone friendly to them (as in not anyone from the House of Saud) onto the throne.

Maybe it could convince Arabia to take more Southern Arabic inspiration like switching writing styles.
Perhaps we see closer ties between Ethiopia and Byzantium where the Ethiopians adopt Eastern Orthodox Christianity?

You mean the Arab Revolt of 1916?

We might see Ethiopia take a more Eastern-oriented POV.

Despite the fact that I've made several threads about this, I'd like to give people the option of giving me ideas for more Ethiopia-centered TLs. So, welcome to whatever . . . this is and please give me all the ideas you can!

*despite the fact i'll never know if i end up finishing some of these lmao
A stronger Greek-Ethiopian relationship across centuries would be interesting. Interesting is the fact that thousands of Greeks and Armenians fled the Ottoman Empire in the 1800es and formed communities active until the 20th Century.