Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

I wonder what Muhammad Ali is up to ITTL? Without being absent from the sport for several years due to dodging the draft (1), he probably is the undisputed king of boxing ITTL...

(1) One might disagree on this, but at least Ali was straightforward and honest as to why he refused to go to Vietnam, and was willing to take the punishment for it...

I wonder what Muhammad Ali is up to ITTL? Without being absent from the sport for several years due to dodging the draft (1), he probably is the undisputed king of boxing ITTL...

(1) One might disagree on this, but at least Ali was straightforward and honest as to why he refused to go to Vietnam, and was willing to take the punishment for it...

Ali not losing 3 years "might" butterfly away his Parkinsons as if he didn't get more or less banned from boxing he would have made enough money to retire at a much earlier age. By the end of his career in the OTL, he had been hit 200000 times which surely attributed to his later illness. One possible thing with MLK not dying is Ali could be convinced that the Nation of Islam does not have his best interests in mind and could split from them earlier which means that a large part of his money isn't lost to them. I could see Ali maybe even run for politics being convinced that now that the black community has the same rights as whites that someone will need to defend them and who better than the Louisville Lip.

(Sorry if this makes no sense to anyone I just finished work after 18 hours and tend to ramble on)

Zwinglian

Banned

He might not be called Mohammed Ali in this tl because the Nation of Islam only let him in as a public member after he beat Liston in a close fight. Things could go very differently

Recently while perusing some interesting threads here on AH.com, I came across an idea which someone mentioned in a "Cool Alternate History Ideas that Aren't Often Used" Thread. Someone made the suggestion of telling a relatively "typical" story set in an alternate timeline. Rather than taking a "macro" view of history, one which weaves its narrative primarily through the eyes of the TL's major movers and shakers, they suggested taking a more "micro" view, and zooming in to tell the stories of average, everyday people living in this alternate timeline, to see the real, lived effects the major changes have at the ground level. I've been mulling this concept over in my head and possibly applying it to Blue Skies in Camelot intrigues me greatly. I am, with finals and this TL, already rather busy, but as the new year approaches, I had been hoping to start working on another project as well.

Thus, I want to pitch this to you, my beloved audience, and gauge your interest. How interested would you be in a second, supplementary story, starring some original fictional characters of mine (and possibly your's, I always welcome suggestions), and set in the world of Blue Skies? I've been thinking that it would be a sort of "family scrapbook" of diary entries, letters, and memoirs, written by the Rogers family, a typical American family which begins in 1962 around our POD and carries through to whenever Blue Skies comes to an end. I would, of course, continue to update the primary TL as regularly as possible. I just think it would be cool to cover both the macro and micro viewpoints.

Let me know what you think! :)

Why not? Sounds interesting!

Recently while perusing some interesting threads here on AH.com, I came across an idea which someone mentioned in a "Cool Alternate History Ideas that Aren't Often Used" Thread. Someone made the suggestion of telling a relatively "typical" story set in an alternate timeline. Rather than taking a "macro" view of history, one which weaves its narrative primarily through the eyes of the TL's major movers and shakers, they suggested taking a more "micro" view, and zooming in to tell the stories of average, everyday people living in this alternate timeline, to see the real, lived effects the major changes have at the ground level. I've been mulling this concept over in my head and possibly applying it to Blue Skies in Camelot intrigues me greatly. I am, with finals and this TL, already rather busy, but as the new year approaches, I had been hoping to start working on another project as well.

Thus, I want to pitch this to you, my beloved audience, and gauge your interest. How interested would you be in a second, supplementary story, starring some original fictional characters of mine (and possibly your's, I always welcome suggestions), and set in the world of Blue Skies? I've been thinking that it would be a sort of "family scrapbook" of diary entries, letters, and memoirs, written by the Rogers family, a typical American family which begins in 1962 around our POD and carries through to whenever Blue Skies comes to an end. I would, of course, continue to update the primary TL as regularly as possible. I just think it would be cool to cover both the macro and micro viewpoints.

Love this idea, man.

...Thus, I want to pitch this to you, my beloved audience, and gauge your interest. How interested would you be in a second, supplementary story, starring some original fictional characters of mine (and possibly your's, I always welcome suggestions), and set in the world of Blue Skies? I've been thinking that it would be a sort of "family scrapbook" of diary entries, letters, and memoirs, written by the Rogers family, a typical American family which begins in 1962 around our POD and carries through to whenever Blue Skies comes to an end. I would, of course, continue to update the primary TL as regularly as possible. I just think it would be cool to cover both the macro and micro viewpoints.

Great idea - be interesting if the Rogers lived in an affluent neighbourhood (in New York maybe) at the start of the timeline, then see it going downhill during the 70/80's only for it to get yuppie-ifed and revived in the 90/2000's...?

Sorta like what happened to this House in Liverpool: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09l64y9

Speaking of, what's Lucille Ball doing?

And did the Paramount deal happen? Looking back over the Timeline I cannot find any mention of the sale of Desilu to Gulf+Western/Paramount. I'd like to think Lucille Ball had the dream meeting with Carole Lombard that @Brainbin describes in That Wacky Redhead and didn't sell out to G+W - (not that this Timeline is that one obviously - Just look at the Presidents! ) just so we get better Star Trek and just for the butterflies...

BP Booker

Banned
Hows the ERA looking up to pass in the near future? I cant imagine the Democrats would support it at the moment, as it seems Johnson has taken over the party. But Bush's Republicans dont seem to be going in that direction either, if only to appease the Right faction

Hows the ERA looking up to pass in the near future? I cant imagine the Democrats would support it at the moment, as it seems Johnson has taken over the party. But Bush's Republicans dont seem to be going in that direction either, if only to appease the Right faction
Would Johnson necessarily oppose it? His whole platform is "bigotry is a tool the fat cats use to keep the little guy down". He has a strong reason to support antidiscrimination measures.

Great idea - be interesting if the Rogers lived in an affluent neighbourhood (in New York maybe) at the start of the timeline, then see it going downhill during the 70/80's only for it to get yuppie-ifed and revived in the 90/2000's...?

Sorta like what happened to this House in Liverpool: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09l64y9

That could be a really interesting way to write things! I'll have to keep that in mind, Ogrebear. :)

Have you read "That Wacky Redhead"?

Speaking of, what's Lucille Ball doing?

And did the Paramount deal happen? Looking back over the Timeline I cannot find any mention of the sale of Desilu to Gulf+Western/Paramount. I'd like to think Lucille Ball had the dream meeting with Carole Lombard that @Brainbin describes in That Wacky Redhead and didn't sell out to G+W - (not that this Timeline is that one obviously - Just look at the Presidents! ) just so we get better Star Trek and just for the butterflies...

Unfortunately, I have not yet had the time to read That Wacky Redhead, but I've heard some really wonderful things about it and I plan on reading it as soon as I get the chance to! :)

As for Lucille Ball's activities at the moment ITTL... she's currently focusing on running Desilu Productions, which she did not sell to Paramount ITTL. She's also popping up from time to time in television programs and on Broadway. One prominent cameo of hers was as the President of the United Federation of Planets in the series finale of Star Trek in 1971. The decision to depict the President of the Federation as a woman was seen as a major pop cultural event and part of the increasing progress of empowered women in television. :D

Would Johnson necessarily oppose it? His whole platform is "bigotry is a tool the fat cats use to keep the little guy down". He has a strong reason to support antidiscrimination measures.

I have to agree with @Worffan101 on this one. :) Both Johnson and Bush have come out in favor of the ERA, and it has been passed through Congress for ratification or rejection by the states. ITTL there's a lot of momentum riding behind it, and I'll be sure to cover whether it's ratified or not when we get there. ;)

Did Nat King Cole still die in 1965?

Unfortunately, yes, the great Nat King Cole still passed in '65. :(

Is Fred Hampton dead?

The raid on Hampton's apartment does not occur ITTL, and he is currently serving as the National Spokesman for the Black Panther Party.

upload_2018-12-9_14-37-8.jpeg

I just realised that Brian Epstein meeting Freddie Mercury could have some very interesting consequences, if you know what I'm saying;)

Indeed it could! :) I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on how Queen is doing as TTL rolls forward.