I say re-do them from now. Don't waste energy on continuing from the 1940s into 1958. You already have the basic map information so the re-do should not take as long as the original effort. You could also do it in a sequence such as this:

2 redone maps in a post and one new map in a follow up post.

Then create an index which places the maps in the correct order by post.

For example:

Post 358 has 1913 and 1914. Post 359 has 1945.

Post 370 has 1915 and 1916. Post 371 has 1946

Index shows:

Post 358
Post 370
Post 359
Post 371

Is that possible?

That way you get to re-do the maps without keeping people waiting forever for new ones and still get to post at least 3 maps at a time.

I think I’m going to try a new format that will be easier to edit, so I can go back and make corrections and it will take less time to make them, and the annotations wil be in the actual image. Thank you for the feedback, @Chris S however could you explain to me again how the index system works?

I think I’m going to try a new format that will be easier to edit, so I can go back and make corrections and it will take less time to make them, and the annotations wil be in the actual image. Thank you for the feedback, @Chris S however could you explain to me again how the index system works?

Oh, I have no idea how to do the index system sorry. I know I've seen it on some timelines so that you don't need to click through all 200+ pages of a thread in order to read the core entries of the TL itself.

EDIT - Found the way: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/how-do-i-create-an-index.411598/

Hmm...you might have to experiment to be sure that you can add posts in a sequence like what I suggested. I think you can.

You already have an index for this thread, it's just to see if you can order the index so that the posts are done in such an order that they show the maps in chronological order.

Oh, I have no idea how to do the index system sorry. I know I've seen it on some timelines so that you don't need to click through all 200+ pages of a thread in order to read the core entries of the TL itself.

EDIT - Found the way: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/how-do-i-create-an-index.411598/

Hmm...you might have to experiment to be sure that you can add posts in a sequence like what I suggested. I think you can.

You already have an index for this thread, it's just to see if you can order the index so that the posts are done in such an order that they show the maps in chronological order.
Oh, you meant threadmarks? Yeah, I kind of forgot to keep doing those. I'll delete the existing ones and repurpose them for the improved series.

There's a button at the bottom of each post that allows me to thread mark it:

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 3.48.17 PM.png

Okay, so I'm trying out a new format, which unfortunately isn't all I'd hoped it would be. As is you can actually use and edit the maps yourself, but placing text in GIMP is very brain damaging, so I've included an outside-image text colour key. Is this suitable or should I add names the normal way and sacrifice usability?

LcnyE0C.png

Chinese Empire:
Yellow - Great Qing

Chinese Revolutionary Alliance:
Light Gray - Tongmenghui
Dark Red - Jin
Brown - Yunnan
Dark Green - Gan
Bluish Purple - Fujian
Reddish Purple - Old Guangxi Clique
Dark Gray - Guangdong
Light Green - Shandong
Bluish Green - Su

Unaffiliated:
Beige - Mongolia

I vote to keep things the way they are. We don't want you getting brain damage.
Alternatively I could add text in a separate program that is friendlier to text placing, which was what I used to make the earlier ones. However that would make it so that you can’t edit the finished image.

What I tried to do initially here was cut out that other program and do everything in GIMP, which turned out to be impractical, so thus the awkward colour key at the bottom.

Alternatively I could add text in a separate program that is friendlier to text placing, which was what I used to make the earlier ones. However that would make it so that you can’t edit the finished image.

What I tried to do initially here was cut out that other program and do everything in GIMP, which turned out to be impractical, so thus the awkward colour key at the bottom.

Well either do that, or take up DracoLazarus' offer I guess.

WIP_France.png

It's just Gimp
Eyeball the font size and the greatest dimension
Place horizontally text there
And then rotate it into position.

The problem is that, as I said, doing that for so many text boxes just isn't worth it.

Is this satisfactory?

l7RT323.jpg

October:
On October 10 an uprising occurred in Wuchang, initiating further uprisings in Hunan, Jiangxi, and Shaanxi. Shanxi, Jiangxi, and Yunnan also declared independence in support of the Tongmenghui revolutionary alliance.

November:
Although Qing armies were able to capture Wuhan from the revolutionaries the spread of revolution continued unabated. Six more provinces declared independence and Tongmenghui forces attacked Nanjing. At the same time Mongolian leaders overthrew the Qing military governor in Urga.

December:
Although anti-Qing forces had solidified their control over much of China the Qing army was still superior to its opponents in the field. An armistice was put into effect. Qing garrisons and administrators also withdrew from Outer Mongolia, effectively conceding that nation's independence, but Inner Mongolia remained under Chinese administration. Forces loyal to the new Great Mongol State would stage raids and invasions into the region but ultimately Inner and Outer Mongolia would remain separated.

Okay, this one has significantly lower quality, since I can't find any way to import the full image. So here's 1912:

mlUSDVV.jpg

January:
On January 1 Sun Yixian was declared Provisional President of the Republic of China, with his capital in Nanjing. However, although rebellions in Xinjiang attempted to spread the revolution there, his control was limited to areas that had rebelled against the Qing government last autumn.

February:
Prior to this point the New Army under Yuan Shikai had been the only thing propping up the Qing. This ended on 12 February, when Yuan decided to align himself with Sun's government and depose the last Qing emperor. Meanwhile the Tannu Uriankhai region of Mongolia seceded and declared itself a Russian protectorate, although Russian troops would not arrive until 1914.

March:
Yuan and Sun agreed to the North-South Compromise in early April: Yuan agreed to join the new Republic and be declared its president, but the capital of China would be moved to Yuan's power base at Beijing. Almost immediately the seeds of the later warlord era were planted, with most provinces being put under a dual military-civilian leadership that allowed many military officers to achieve a high level of autonomy under the government in Beijing.

April:
Chinese military rule in Tibet had been decidedly precarious following the unrest during the Xinhai Revolution, and in early 1912 the Tibetan leadership officially declared independence, with official recognition from the fellow secessionist government of Mongolia and de facto recognition by the United Kingdom. The Ma Clique that had risen to prominence in the late Qing Dynasty also established itself in Kansu under the new regime.

September:
Tan Yankai establishes a Xiang Clique in Hunan and is appointed as both military and civil governor of the province.

Last edited:
I do really dig the new maps. Looks very clean. Watch out for artifacting tho.

Last edited: