Moonlight in a Jar: An Al-Andalus Timeline

Central Asia and Anatolia are a whole shit show for whoever is fighting, you really got to feel for those Turks who just wanted to loot, but ended up speaking Greek somehow. I can see Lions easily being introduced to Andalusia through Arabic and African traders. How about Barbary monkeys being bought over to be as pets for the nobility?
I'm surprised the Canary Isles still havent been conquered yet, I'm kind of guessing the Rezkids will get to that.
I'm kind of curious what you got in plan for the Americas, since many of the conquistadors ITTL are probably either butterflied away, speaking Arabic, or doing whatever.
The Canaries have been taken! Andalusi mariners found them in the 12th century. They're known as the Juzur al-Kaledat, and Madeira is Liwaril.

Getting past Cape Bojador is the tough part.

BTW, will the Javanese Singhasaris undertake Pamalayu expedition in OTL next decade? Malay ethnogenesis and Islam adoption were contingent on this...
Good question. Southeast Asian history, along with India, is an area I have very weak knowledge of.

Egypt: The Fatimids, long slouching along and plagued by military infighting, have been set aside by the Bedouin element in their military, the Harabids. These elements are Sunni, as are most of the Muslims in Egypt, really. As a result, there really is no major Shia power anymore.
Which caliphate do they follow?

How has saraqusta been so powerful, they are far from the capital and most likely have the least muslim region. How come the new emirate with native troops haven't just washed over them?

Do the abbasids rules Baghdad?

Can we get a Egypt update?

Btw harabids is a cool name for a muslim dynasty. Going to use that in my egypt campaign normally amirids but h names are prefer more. Sorry question what muslim names begin with h. As the they dynasty often is named after the founder in some way.

Abbasid I think. Being closer to them and have more recent history as former part of Abbasid empire. Plus as a reason not to give those turks free casus belli against them like "restore true caliph rule in Egypt".
But who ever rules Baghad is weak, look at the map egypt looks strong compared to its muslim neighbours. The turks are broken, egypt has new strong leadership which is sunni, i think they can fight off any turkish invasion at this point.

But who ever rules Baghad is weak, look at the map egypt looks strong compared to its muslim neighbours. The turks are broken, egypt has new strong leadership which is sunni, i think they can fight off any turkish invasion at this point.
Yeah, I think it'd be a 50:50 with either the Egyptians preferring the distant, powerless Umayyads, that got ruled by Saqalibas and then Muwalladis, or the nearer, but still as powerless, Abbasids, that got ruled by Shi'ite Persians and then Turks.
But I think most Ulamas in Egypt are Hanafiyyah, which means they'd prefer the Abbasid Caliph.

IIRC the Andalusians are mostly Malikis and Zahiris, right?

I think Egypt is Syafi'i mix with Hanafi. Regardless @inawarminister is right Maliki will tend (not all) to follow Umayyad which mean everything west of Tunis with Libya somewhat gray area but from Egypt & Horn of Africa to east beyond will acknowledge Abbasid caliph.

Last edited:
Very nice map! Although Brythonia seems a little large: if my Penguin Atlas of European history is at all correct, independent Welsh territory had been already been cut down to close to modern dimensions by the time of the POD.

So the Mongols have been butterflied: still think the Steppe has at least one major eruption left in it before gunpowder armies become too efficient. :)

Constantinople is in Turkmen hands after a bloody siege in which disease spread through the city yet again. As a result, the capital of Rüm is actually at Nicomedia, and Constantinople is seen as something of a cursed city.

Eyy, my Curse of Constantinople made it on the timeline! :D

I wonder if there will be any future iconography coming out from Europe and Asia on the city's downfall. I can see medieval and early modern artists depicting images of the capital (and it's rulers) in the same manner as my inspiration for the whole thing: Alagadda, the Cursed City.

The Hanged King.jpg
The Hanged King 2.jpg

'Course, the whole imagery would look different due to regional cultures and painting styles, but you get my point.

So the Mongols have been butterflied: still think the Steppe has at least one major eruption left in it before gunpowder armies become too efficient. :)
There is one more wave of steppe fun coming. :D

Is the Capital of Angland really Grimsby? That will certainly be a very different city from OTL!
The capital was originally Gainsborough, but moved up the river to Grimsby; it's closer to the sea, being on the Humber-mouth, and well-positioned to conduct maritime trade with Scandinavia. That said, London is still an important city because it's the centre of trade with sub-Scandinavian Europe. A lot of French and Normans trade there, and as a result, something resembling English probably exists as "the London language."

There is one more wave of steppe fun coming. :D

The capital was originally Gainsborough, but moved up the river to Grimsby; it's closer to the sea, being on the Humber-mouth, and well-positioned to conduct maritime trade with Scandinavia. That said, London is still an important city because it's the centre of trade with sub-Scandinavian Europe. A lot of French and Normans trade there, and as a result, something resembling English probably exists as "the London language."
Still sad london isnt the capital the themes better than the trent any day.

May one hope for a Safavid-style Shiite revolutionary movement in the Levant? I've wondered if a Levant-based state, perhaps including the horse pastures of East Anatolia and Armenia, could survive independently of the Anatolian and Persian hegemons on either side of it. It would be the first such state since the old Caliphates...

That has interesting consequences, actually, if the capital of Angland isn't the same as the most important city you could have interesting consequences for social development-more important cities being major centers, the entire country not being drawn to London/the same place, possible rivalry, etc

Oh thank God (or Allah I guess) you provided a North up version. I like the aesthetics of the South up version but it screws up my pattern recognition way too much.

Be right back, looking at the beautiful map.

That has interesting consequences, actually, if the capital of Angland isn't the same as the most important city you could have interesting consequences for social development-more important cities being major centers, the entire country not being drawn to London/the same place, possible rivalry, etc
I want to see londoners complaining about the beer prices in Grimsby.

I want to see londoners complaining about the beer prices in Grimsby.
I live in surrey and im still pissed london isn't the capital, it doesn't feel right. London is the capital no matter what. Why of all places did the danes choose northern England, london has been the heart of the isles for a long time before. William the conqueror so this, the north is piss poor compared to the south back in the old days.

I live in surrey and im still pissed london isn't the capital, it doesn't feel right. London is the capital no matter what. Why of all places did the danes choose northern England, london has been the heart of the isles for a long time before. William the conqueror so this, the north is piss poor compared to the south back in the old days.
Poor, poor lost soul :openedeyewink: