Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Ah, well good they are fixing it then.

-Made the Pope somewhat less likely to accept Excommunication requests on behalf of AI rulers and significantly less likely to accept Excommunication requests from landless mercenaries/holy orders.
Thank goodness they’re fixing this. Hopefully after the patch comes out, I will no longer have to search through all the characters in the world looking Captain Henri the Quarreler, with whom I’ve never interacted, and trying to figure out why he hates me so much.

Ah, well good they are fixing it then.

Thank goodness they’re fixing this. Hopefully after the patch comes out, I will no longer have to search through all the characters in the world looking Captain Henri the Quarreler, with whom I’ve never interacted, and trying to figure out why he hates me so much.
In my Neostorian game my leader kept getting excommunicated, I constantly had 6 of the seven virtues and thousands of piety. I was so holy I became a god damn Saint after I died.

Is there any way to see who excommunicated your character by the way?

In my Neostorian game my leader kept getting excommunicated, I constantly had 6 of the seven virtues and thousands of piety. I was so holy I became a god damn Saint after I died.

Is there any way to see who excommunicated your character by the way?
There's apparently something wrong with the hardcode that is supposed to make religious leaders care about AI weights when they consider excommunicating someone, so they don't (but they might still do it when the religious leader is asked to consider excommunication requests, there it is just too likely in general) - which means you can get excommunicated right after repenting, because that's on a soft limit of -1000 AI weight to excommunicate for a while after rather than on a hard limit...

Question how does this set up sound like for reformed slavicism: Unyielding, Children of Perun, Ancestor Veneration, and Hierocratic leadership?

Yeah, I had a character in my Jerusalem game who was clunked on the head fighting an excommunication war at the Pope's behest in an attempt to get a coronation, then the war was invalidated and the Pope immediately turned around and excommunicated him on the request of some random Polish countess. Templars and Hospitalliers bailed. Then the maids drowned my incapable ruler in the bath.

His son was almost immediately excommunicated, again at the request of the Polish countess, but he managed to get past that and installed an uncle in a crusade for Castile (which had previously been ruled by a Muslim d'Ivrea in vassalage to the Almohads). He was also making progress at the Alexander bloodline, then the plague hit and killed him (as well as 2/3 of his brothers, 3/4 of his male-line nephews, his sister and all her children, and innumerable cousins), leaving the throne in the hands of his infant son.

Said infant has proven remarkably resilient, shrugging off bouts of the plague and pneumonia before his third birthday.

Question how does this set up sound like for reformed slavicism: Unyielding, Children of Perun, Ancestor Veneration, and Hierocratic leadership?
Children of Perun is an obvious choice for reformed Slavic religion because it's a unique doctrine only Slavic religion can unlock. The rest is dependant on what you choose to focus on.

Unyiedling nature is a valid choice because Slavic pagans were "defensive" pagans before Holy Fury came out. So it's basically allowing them to keep the defensive bonuses that came with it. Plus, with missionnary work coming from Abrahmic religions as well as potential wars against them and/or other faiths, it's likely Slavic reforming their religion people would be resilient to conversion. So in terms of roleplay, it could make sense for Slavicism to reform that way.
There are two other Natures that I could consider for Reformed Slavicism, based on the description of Children of Perun. It reads All of the Children of Perun will come together, sharing a new, harmonious understanding of the gods, so that we can live in peace and prosperity with our neighbors. Since the text insists on harmony, peace and prosperity, taking Peaceful nature could make sense. The other alternative would be Cosmopolitan because of the "new understanding of the gods" part as well as the fact they mention neighbors: the Slavic faith could thus reform in a way that would be more open.

In terms of the second doctrine, Ancestor Veneration seems like a very solid choice. One of the bonuses Slavicism keeps on Reformation is the Ancestor Worship ability, the event where you make a sacrifice (A body part, a prisonner/courtier, gold or a carved idol) for your ancestors in exchange for a bonus. From a thematic perspective, Ancestor Worship takes things to the next level as you would have cults for worthy Ancestors showing up. That said, it depends on whether or not Ancestor Worship already translate into Ancestor Veneration upon Reformation. From my understanding it doesn't, so you don't need to fear redundancy.
Plus I have a bit of a hard time seeing another good alternative doctrine to pick.

In terms of leadership... Well, given that you've picked Ancestor Veneration, this unlocks the Eldership succession doctrine. Eldership has your ruler elected by the six oldest living members of your court. And generally speaking, Elders kinda occupied a religious function... So you could make the argument there is a separate clergy already existing and that they have their own mechanism for choosing their leader. Thus Hierocratic is a logical choice to pick.
That being said, Children of Perun also give the same boost as stability does. And stability's description itself seems to insist on the fact that what matters is that Kings are chosen by the gods so they should be respected as such. Plus it does get rid of the short reign penalty. So I feel Temporal probably could work too.

On a side note... Is it just me, or does it feel like Autocephalous is the least attractive choice among the leadership choices you can pick on Reformation?
Temporal has obvious gamey advantage, but you can also choose it to pick it for roleplay if you feel Temporal and Spiritual authority could be mixed (or want to play a God-Emperor).
Hierocratic seems like the most logical choice because you're likely to unify your religious practices, thus you'd need a unified leadership.
Autonomous basically fits if you want to play open-minded religions, especially if you've decided to go for Cosmopolitan nature and Syncretism.
But Autocephaly? It's a bit of halfway point between Hierocratic (unified practices) and Autonomous (no unified leadership as it's collegial) and thus suffers from that fact.

5K7D3I6.jpg

My Grimaldi run keeps being one hell of a blast: after I poisoned the previous Doge in order to succeed him during the crusade for León - I was too young to succeed my father as Doge right away - and get all the nice crusader bonuses, I set sail for Spain, and one of my distant relatives decides to carve a realm for himself in Portugal.

Said distant relative belongs to the Pomeranian branch of the family, that seized the kingdom on the Baltic Sea during yet another crusade. So now there are two crusader kingdoms run by the same family, at opposite ends of the continent, one of which is a vassal kingdom of the other.

Shame I couldn't keep Jerusalem, but the new Children's Crusade kingdom (I made money snow on those kids when they were planning it) is doing a great job conquering the whole Levant.

Well, Mursalin the Great is no more. The fifth Dastur of the Church of Zun has ruled the Zuhaid Empire for nearly 45 years. And for 37 of those years, he was also known as the first Shahanshah of Persia.

Having finally agreed on his successor towards the end of his realm, the Elders have acknowledges Mursalin's only son Soban as his heir. Soban thus became the second emperor of Zuhaid Persia and the sixth Dastur of the Church of Zun at the age of 26. He's already proven himself to be quite the warrior even if the realm hasn't expanded much. But many are already calling him "the second Great Tiger". This promises a lot.

Soban still has to ensure his succession. Currently, his heir is the eldest son of his sister Yasmoon as he is the the closest adult relative of the dynasty. The Elders are however extremly divided and there is no guarantee this will change. Fortunately for Soban, his eldest son Mursalin should soon come of age at which point his candidacy should pose no issue. Furthermore, the new Dastur recently became the father of a second son, Gulraiz.

I'm only one province short of owning all of de-jure Persia. But at the moment, India's gotten me busy. The last war launched by Mursalin the Great was the mission the Keepers of the Faith had asked him to conquer Karur in India. Mursalin died in the middle of the campaign, but Soban took over and ended his father's war. Now Soban himself has another mission requiring him to invade a province in India. I also seem to have a lot of troubles with my Hindu subjects as I already had two revolts in Punjab, that I had no problem crushing.

I still haven't given up on the idea of invading Egypt at one point. But right now, nearly every war I launch results in me becoming threatening and having to wait for Threat to decrease before going for the next war. There are also a bunch of rulers in Syria and Palestine that I will have to submit beforehand... Which kinda has me worried as that could attract the attention of Islam and Christianity. Fortunately, Shi'a Islam can't launch a djihad before twenty years while Sunni Islam isn't strong enough to attack me. As for Christiannity, it's still heavily divided and will probably have more important targets to consider in the future for its Crusades: Rome is notably held by the heretic King of Sardinia.

Also, there is still the issue of the Knights of Saint Anthony owning nearly all of what makes the Absyssinian Empire...

My custom Anglo-Saxon Germanic Pagan began in the 867 start as a Count of Cardigan (HIP Mod) and went through three wives before he had his first son. The first wife died of Rabies. The second wife died giving birth to his second daughter. Then Halfdan Hvitserk requested a marriage for his son. Looked at her stats and went yeah no and promptly married her off to my character Beorhtwulf Beortwulfing, the newly crowned King of Wealas. She has given Beorhtwulf two sons, Beorhtwulf and Beornwulf, who are each betrothed to descendants of the Sons of Ragnar Lothbrok. One to a granddaughter of Halfdan Hvitserk (whose daughter had been Beorhtwulf's first wife prior to death by Rabies following the birth of a daugther) the King of Northumbria and Jorvik and one to a daughter of Ubbe Ubbing, the king of East Anglia and Wessex.

Germanic Pagans control most of Britain and have toeholds in Ireland.

Praise be to Thunor and Woden and Seaxneat

Hmm...the 3.0.1 patch seems to have created a small Dragon Break in my Ironman game causing everyone to change appearance.

No, I stand corrected. Not everyone. Just the Saxons and Anglo-Saxons. Or most of them, anyway, but I think the ones who haven't changed technically have Celtic portraits. They appear to have reverted to the old vanilla faces from the English faces that came as part of...I dunno, was that Monks and Mystics? I think it was. I had forgotten quite how bad the old vanilla faces were.

Here's a before and after of my character Sæbert. Admittedly, he's also gone up an age bracket.
before and after.png

Curious.

EDIT: Aha! If anyone else encounters this problem, know that it revolves around the Early Western Clothes pack somehow, and deactivating that restores the English faces from M&M. (I didn't even know I had the Early Western Clothing Pack, honestly.)

Last edited:
I have a problem: I created a new empire while under a republican form of government as the Most Serene Republic of Italy, turning it into the Principality of Italy but, when my son inherited my position as Grand Prince, it turned into an Empire, whose form of government is Anarchy. Bug?

I have a problem: I created a new empire while under a republican form of government as the Most Serene Republic of Italy, turning it into the Principality of Italy but, when my son inherited my position as Grand Prince, it turned into an Empire, whose form of government is Anarchy. Bug?
Anarchy? That’s an actual form of government?

What's the most inbreeding you've done outside of Zoroastrian/Targaryen playthroughs?

Since two separate branches of my own family controlled Italy and Portugal, in order to strike an alliance I kind of paired two couples of cousins to each other.

Since two separate branches of my own family controlled Italy and Portugal, in order to strike an alliance I kind of paired two couples of cousins to each other.

Last year when I was playing as the Solomonids I had posted this in Chat:

"Family Tree Time

Falasha Solomonid, age three
Patrilineally, she is both my current character's granddaughter and the great-granddaughter of his uncle

Matrilineally, she is my great-niece, the granddaughter of my sister

She is betrothed to Raphael Hadendowa, age 2
Patrilineally he is my uncle's great-grandson

Matrilineally he is my grandson and my uncle's great grandson."