Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Jerry Brown is (as per OTL) currently serving as California's Secretary of State. He has announced interest in running for Governor in 1974 or Senator in the future, though he is in a crowded field for the Gubernatorial race should he choose to enter. Jesse Unruh, James Roosevelt II, and others are all eyeing the position as well.

Is Reineke still the Lt. Gov. ?

Recently while perusing some interesting threads here on AH.com, I came across an idea which someone mentioned in a "Cool Alternate History Ideas that Aren't Often Used" Thread. Someone made the suggestion of telling a relatively "typical" story set in an alternate timeline. Rather than taking a "macro" view of history, one which weaves its narrative primarily through the eyes of the TL's major movers and shakers, they suggested taking a more "micro" view, and zooming in to tell the stories of average, everyday people living in this alternate timeline, to see the real, lived effects the major changes have at the ground level. I've been mulling this concept over in my head and possibly applying it to Blue Skies in Camelot intrigues me greatly. I am, with finals and this TL, already rather busy, but as the new year approaches, I had been hoping to start working on another project as well.

Thus, I want to pitch this to you, my beloved audience, and gauge your interest. How interested would you be in a second, supplementary story, starring some original fictional characters of mine (and possibly your's, I always welcome suggestions), and set in the world of Blue Skies? I've been thinking that it would be a sort of "family scrapbook" of diary entries, letters, and memoirs, written by the Rogers family, a typical American family which begins in 1962 around our POD and carries through to whenever Blue Skies comes to an end. I would, of course, continue to update the primary TL as regularly as possible. I just think it would be cool to cover both the macro and micro viewpoints.

Let me know what you think! :)

What is Saddam, Assad (the elder) and Khomeini doing?

Saddam - Serving as Vice President of Iraq and slowly consolidating his grip on power there.

Assad (the Elder) - Just recently come to power as President of Syria, he is positioning for a continued close alliance with Egypt.

Khomeini - Living in exile in Najaf, Iraq.

I would absolutely be interested! I might have some ideas...

Thank you, Your Majesty! :D I'd be happy to hear them. :) I think this would definitely be a secondary project to the primary TL, as its my baby and I'm really enjoying sharing it with all of you. That being said, I think stretching the old creative muscles a bit and going small scale will be cool too.

Recently while perusing some interesting threads here on AH.com, I came across an idea which someone mentioned in a "Cool Alternate History Ideas that Aren't Often Used" Thread. Someone made the suggestion of telling a relatively "typical" story set in an alternate timeline. Rather than taking a "macro" view of history, one which weaves its narrative primarily through the eyes of the TL's major movers and shakers, they suggested taking a more "micro" view, and zooming in to tell the stories of average, everyday people living in this alternate timeline, to see the real, lived effects the major changes have at the ground level. I've been mulling this concept over in my head and possibly applying it to Blue Skies in Camelot intrigues me greatly. I am, with finals and this TL, already rather busy, but as the new year approaches, I had been hoping to start working on another project as well.

Thus, I want to pitch this to you, my beloved audience, and gauge your interest. How interested would you be in a second, supplementary story, starring some original fictional characters of mine (and possibly your's, I always welcome suggestions), and set in the world of Blue Skies? I've been thinking that it would be a sort of "family scrapbook" of diary entries, letters, and memoirs, written by the Rogers family, a typical American family which begins in 1962 around our POD and carries through to whenever Blue Skies comes to an end. I would, of course, continue to update the primary TL as regularly as possible. I just think it would be cool to cover both the macro and micro viewpoints.

I'd love to see this :D Can't wait to read!

This sounds like something worthy of the effort you already place in this TL! Do it!

My list--note that I'm playing with an idea of the partisan divide working very differently than OTL, where basically the Republicans are interventionists (ranging from neocons to neolibs to "spread democracy even if they elect someone who doesn't really like us" types) and the Democrats are soft isolationists and care more about helping the American people economically (ranging from Johnson-esque populists to anti-intervention socdems to borderline syndicalists):
'76: Bush/Reagan def. Johnson/Glenn on sympathy vote but fail to flip the South.
'80: RFK/Glenn def. Bush/Reagan as infighting splits the Republicans.
'84: RFK/Glenn def. Reagan/milquetoast moderate on incumbency advantage.
'88: Glenn/leftist southerner def. unexciting moderate/Gingrich.
'92: Glenn/leftist southerner def. Dole/Quayle but narrowly lose Congress due to conflicting effects of voter fatigue and USSR breakup.
'96: W. Bush/Gore (moderate Democrats) def. Kerry/Rodham Bush (liberal Republicans) in the friendliest election ever.
'00: Rodham Bush/Edwards def. W. Bush/Gore, Republicans get first female President.
'04: Rodham Bush/Dean def. Gore/McCain but lose Congress in aftermath of Edwards committing financial crimes to hide that he was cheating on his beloved, dying wife, and being summarily impeached. Edwards leaves politics the most hated man in America, and eventually spends a few years in Sing Sing.
'08: Sanders (left Democrat)/McCain (moderate Democrat) def. Dean/Obama, Dems get first Jewish POTUS.
'12: Sanders/McCain def. Romney/Graham, the "Romney family comeback tour" fails.
'16: Obama (left Republican)/Harris def. Biden/Warren, original Dem ticket of McCain/Biden has to be shaken up halfway through the campaign as it's revealed McCain has terminal brain cancer, McCain retires from politics a national hero and dies 18 months later surrounded by friends and family, given state funeral. Republicans get first black POTUS

This probably has too many dead butterflies but it's more for personal fun than anything. :)

That's a great idea, in alternative stories I always think how everyday life is different from OTL, keep up with your great writing will be very good

I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I "give" the Republicans the first black President. They've already taken Hillary away from me, what more can they take!?

I don't know, this is a time line where Ed Brooke could theoretically do well. He's actually young enough he could run in '88.

He'd probably need Johnson to win in 72, then a successor in 76 (Johnson's health isn't great) against Reagan, showing conservatives can't win with the GOP, then that successor getting a second term and Brooke in 84. Alternatively, Bush could win in 72 and then Reagan makes some missteps and lose and 76 with conservatives going to the Democrats and Brooke in 84 or 88.

Slim chance but possible.

Last edited:

Wow ... honestly you just never fail to amaze me with your creativity and ideas, Mr. President! Just do the readership a favor ... and Make this a reality! :D