Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

I just had an idea: Bush Sr. & Bush Jr. have a falling out, leading to Junior falling in with the Democrats. Skip forward a few years and Al Gore asks George W Bush to be his running mate

One thing that just hit me--if Reagan doesn't come into power, he won't have the chance to massively deregulate all aspects of the economy including TV. And that means that all those toy commercials barely disguised as cartoons that came out in the '80s and '90s will not exist. Transformers might not happen or might happen differently. He-Man probably won't happen, good chance the Power Rangers won't either. So much '80s pop culture will be VASTLY different!

As a thought without the rise of the religious right do we see the 'moral panic' over D&D and other rpg's?

Also do we lose Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and other 'dark' indie comics?

With a point of divergence in 1962 I’m hard pressed to say that any of these franchises would have come into existence ITTL even if Reagan got into office and did the same things he did to the television industry. There’s just far too much different in pop culture IMO—Elvis as the King of Rock and Roll without Vegas and the ‘70s decline, the Beatles holding together, Star Trek OS lasting longer and being more successful—all of these things should have gigantic knock-on effects that render random pop culture from the ‘80s (and honestly the ‘70s too) totally gone. If we want to be “realistic” there should be a bunch of expies of famous franchises instead of the classics—“Space Wars” instead of Star Wars, for instance.

Still, though, it might be more fun to keep OTL franchises with their names intact and just show how they’re different to how they were historically instead?

Well here is my prediction of who will win in the 1972 presidential election:

The candidate is a former Senator of Texas and a former Vice President of the United States! :px'D

The candidate is a former Senator of Texas and a former Vice President of the United States! :px'D
And is his running mate a celebrity with minimal poltical experience? :p

Last edited:

And is his running mate a celebrity with minimal poltical experience? :p

Har! Well done, both of you. ;)

My predictions

George H.W. Bush 1972-1981
Shirley Temple 1981-1985 (the Paleoconservative mentioned a while back)
Robert F. Kennedy 1985-??

An interesting prediction here, your Majesty! :) I really enjoy seeing all of the different Presidents lists you all come up with. :D

@President_Lincoln did James Stockdale still get shot down?

He did! Because President Kennedy's withdrawal was not completed until 1967, Stockdale was still shot down and captured, as per OTL.

BP Booker

Banned
My-not-at-all-serious-but-maybe? List:

1972: Johnson/Glenn def. Bush/Reagan
1976: Reagan/Buckley def. Glenn/Jackson
1980: Kennedy/Finch def. Reagan/Percy [1]
1984: Kennedy/Finch def. Laxalt/Baker
1988: Young/Simon def. Dole/Goldwater Jr.

[Replaced Buckley as a way to appease the liberal faction after a strong primary challenge by John Anderson from the left]

My-not-at-all-serious-but-maybe? List:

1972: Johnson/Glenn def. Bush/Reagan
1976: Reagan/Buckley def. Glenn/Jackson
1980: Kennedy/Finch def. Reagan/Percy [1]
1984: Kennedy/Finch def. Laxalt/Baker
1988: Young/Simon def. Dole/Goldwater Jr.

[Replaced Buckley as a way to appease the liberal faction after a strong primary challenge by John Anderson from the left]

Another solid list, Booker! :D

What’s Jerry Brown up to ITTL? Will he go onto being Governor or perhaps Senator?

Jerry Brown is (as per OTL) currently serving as California's Secretary of State. He has announced interest in running for Governor in 1974 or Senator in the future, though he is in a crowded field for the Gubernatorial race should he choose to enter. Jesse Unruh, James Roosevelt II, and others are all eyeing the position as well.