2018 Presidential Election

Well I am not plotting anything like that it is just silly stand alone stuff,

Leo didn’t really die. He simply embraced his true Bigfoot heritage and now lives in the woods surrounding Camp David. Some say that if you listen quietly you can hear someone crying the name “MARGARET!!”

mspence

Banned
Folowing up on a possible idea for a crisis in Mexico:

Hollis Supports Use Of Troops Against Cartels "If Absolutely Necessary"

NBS-Washington:

Vice President-elect Franklin Hollis generated more controversy when he suggested that the US military might be used to confront and conduct operations against the growing threat of drug cartel violence along the Mexican border, perhaps even by sending American troops into Mexican territory itself, which he said might or might not happen "with or without the Mexican government's cooperation or knowledge." Hollis, who already caused controversy with his remarks during an interview on NBS over Inksoft's job cuts in Minnesota, has reportedly been in talks with senior military officials about such a plan, which immediately drew condemnation from many Democrats and a few Republicans in Congress.
"The proper role of the US military is to defend the United States. The drug cartels are a matter for law enforcement," one Democratic representative, who otherwise identified himself as a Seaborn supporter, said. Seaborn's transition team had no public comment on Hollis's remarks, with incoming Chief of Staff Will Bailey saying only that the President-elect was putting together a "formidable law enforcement policy" that would tackle both the drug cartels and the country's rapidly growing opioid epidemic.
The mayor of Tijuana, meanwhile, says that he will, personally, do "whatever it takes" to deal with the cartels, and has gone so far as to say that all drug dealers should be executed "on the spot, when caught," a statement that drew criticism from human rights activists.

Senators open to possible carbon tax

Washington-A group of Republican and Democratic senators have said that they are open to the idea of a state-by-state carbon tax, which has gained support among members of both parties despite concerns over the possible impact on gas and fuel prices. "As stewards of the environment, it would be irresponsible for us not to deal with this issue, before the costs of inaction are passed on to our children," one Senator, a member of a moderate faction which is hoping to get legislation signed by President-elect Seaborn, said. Many Democrats echoed this sentiment, saying that they would be willing to work with their colleagues on other matters if the environment were made a priority, which they say was largely ignored by the Walken administration. "We've had eight years of benign neglect on the environment," one member of the Democratic coalition said. "Seaborn is going to change that, but I hope our Republican colleagues will take the opportunity to lead on this, as well."

mspence

Banned
Well I am not plotting anything like that it is just silly stand alone stuff

GNN News Entertainment

Are JFK and Sam Seaborn Really The Same Person?

A new conspiracy theory is making the rounds on the Internet, namely that incoming President Sam Seaborn and John F. Kennedy are in fact the same person, or that Seaborn is himself a time traveler. This is all based on comparisons of the President-elect with photos and paintings of the late President, which have generated popular memes like the one below and have led to speculation that Seaborn went back in time and switched places with Kennedy, leading conspiracy fans to give Seaborn the nickname "Time Seaborn."

So, is Seaborn a time traveler? Are he and JFK in fact the same person? You be the judge!
BYwKi_SIMAEWmx_.jpg

kennedy-cover.jpg

Ooc: Hey guys! I’m one of the folks who did the original 535 series back in 2010, and I thought of no better way to rejoin the fun than to revamp one of the biggest projects I worked on in my four years on the thread. Last time there were three of us slaving away on it (Westbrook, Tim, and myself) and it still took us the whole summer of 2010 all the way up to election day to finish. Given that, I am under no illusions of how long this endeavor will take. My goal is to be finished within the next few months, but if anyone wants to get involved and take a few states here or there, it would be much appreciated. I have a few states I did last time that I want to handle in this update, otherwise you can have your pick of the litter! If interested, just shoot me a PM and I’ll get you up to speed. And a big shoutout to Lord Caedus for providing me with lots of supplementary and technical support in launching this update. But without further adieu, let’s get started!

Ic:

QWuf8Lv.png

From the editors of 535.com,

Welcome back to all of our loyal readers, and greetings to any new readers! Following the success of our 2010 edition, our then-blog was purchased by first the New York Times, and now more recently ESPN. While owned by the Times, the editorial board made the decision to remove our 535 moniker and just had us doing political profiling as part of the Times’ politics section. However, since being sold to ESPN in April of this year, they have allowed us to readopt our old logo and reassume control of our original site. And our first order of business is to bring you all a new, updated edition of 535: Who’s who in the 116th Congress.

Just as we did eight years ago, we’ve reached out to political commentators and writers from across the country and the political spectrum from each state to write about their senators and representatives. And returning to kick off 535: 116th Congress edition, is Jennifer Turner! Born and raised in Montgomery, Alabama, and now a reporter and nationally syndicated columnist for Time Magazine. We will turn it over to her now.

A big thanks to the 535 team for asking me to come back, and a big shout out to all my friends and family back in the Cotton State! While my home state continues to trend redder by the year on the national level, on the state level it has generally remained in democratic hands – until this year. Republicans were able to flip the state house this year, and while the state senate remains democratic, their majority has narrowed considerably. Plus, Republicans won most of the statewide offices up for grabs this year. It is important to note the large gaps in the voting results is partly due to gerrymandering, but the state has been getting redder every year. However, I don't want to waste time so let us begin.

Alabama, the Heart of Dixie

AL.jpg

Senior Senator: Cody Riley, Republican
Elected:
2006 (special election to replace retiring senator Dale Killy (D-AL)
Election Results: Won a full term in 2008, and won in 2014 with an astounding 87% of the vote
Committee Memberships: Appropriations; Foreign Relations; and Intelligence (ex officio as Senate Majority Leader)
Biography: Cody Riley is a legend in the state of Alabama. The Republican golden boy for the last decade, and the likely President of the United States right now had President Santos defeated Walken in 2010. He is generally as conservative as they come, but has always shown the skill to work with democrats on key pieces of legislation. Notably on campaign finance reform with former Senator August Adair (D-OH) when he first got to congress, and more recently on education reform with Senator Nicole Kershaw (D-CA) over the past four years before it became law earlier this year. After his big reelection win in 2014, he rode that wave of popularity into the GOP senate leader’s office. His fundraising ability is second to none in the party, and he put that ability to good use when he took back the senate in 2016 barreling through typical apathy shown by an incumbent parties’ voters in their 2nd midterm. Already on 2022 GOP presidential shortlists, his first priority will be navigating the first two years of a Seaborn Presidency, while preparing for a midterm where he’ll be running for reelection and trying to expand his senate majority.
Re-election Prospects: Safe Republican. He won with 87% of the vote in 2014. This seat is as safe as any in the country at the moment.
Portrayed By: Wil Wheaton

Junior Senator: Alan Garland, Republican
Elected:
2010 (appointed after the death of Senator John Hoback)
Election Results: Won with over 75% of the vote in 2016
Committee Memberships: Budget; Commerce, Science, and Transportation; and Governmental Affairs (Chair)
Biography: Once hated on the right due to personal grievances with Nash Rockford, he has since won over his constituents and firmly established himself as a mainstream conservative (and has patched things up with Nash). As evidenced by his Chairmanship of the Governmental Affairs committee and history in the state senate, he is an experienced legislator that knows how to get things done. And while he hasn’t done too much investigating from his post, many believe he’ll start wielding that power now that Sam Seaborn will be in the White House.
Re-election Prospects: Safe Republican. Almost as safe as his senior counterpart, though he’s not up for reelection until 2022.
Portrayed By: James Rebhorn

1st District: Jim Doldier, Republican
Elected:
2010, ousting former Rep. Stanley Valence in a primary
Election Results: Won with 68.7% in 2018
Committee Memberships: Energy and Commerce; Small Business; and Transportation and Infrastructure
Biography: A tried and true pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps conservative, Jim Doldier started his own shipping business based in Mobile in 1994 and the business was worth $100 million when he sold it in 2006. After heavily investing in his old high school’s football facilities, he decided to put his money into winning a congressional seat and did just that. He ousted incumbent republican Stanley Valence (who may have been too moderate for our deeply red state) in the 2010 primary and easily won in the general. Given his knowledge of shipping and maritime laws, he is the ranking member on the subcommittee for Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation.
Re-election Prospects: Safe Republican
Portrayed By:

2nd District: Bryan Mason, Republican
Elected:
2014, defeating incumbent blue dog Siou O’Bannon in a narrow race
Election Results: Won with 68.2% in 2018
Committee Memberships: Armed Services; and Veteran’s Affairs
Biography: A former lieutenant in the Marine Corps, attended Troy University before becoming the mayor of Troy, Bryan Mason had the right narrative going for him when he unseated popular democrat Siou O’Bannon in 2014, and has not looked back since. As a veteran, he takes veteran’s issues very seriously and all matters pertaining to the military.
Re-election Prospects: Likely Republican. While this district is fairly red, its main population center is Montgomery which is heavily democratic. In a good year for democrats, this seat would be in play.
Portrayed By:

3rd District: Simeon Puller, Republican
Elected:
Election Results: Won with 72% in 2018
Committee Memberships: Agriculture; and Education and the Workforce
Biography: A former Dean of Admissions at Auburn University, Puller is considered by many of his colleagues to be the most boring member of congress. He speaks in a monotone drawl and shows very little emotion at any given moment. He does care about education reform however, and was a co-sponsor of the house legislation passed earlier this year as part of President Walken’s reform effort.
Re-election Prospects: Safe Republican
Portrayed By:

4th District: Grady Bridges, Republican
Elected:
Election Results: Won with 86% of the vote in 2018
Committee Memberships: Appropriations; Financial Services; and Science, Space, and Technology
Biography: A legendary maverick despite representing possibly the most conservative district in the country, his positions are a dynamic blend of who he is. A former pastor from Cullman and close friend of Cody Riley, he is staunchly socially conservative, but he has economic positions to the left of some democrats – let alone most republicans! He is in favor of universal healthcare, in favor of stricter regulations on wall street, and believes wealthier people need to pay more in taxes. He says about himself, “I’m pro-life. Life. That means I believe in all of Jesus Christ’s teachings, namely in taking care of the poor and the needy. Be it an unborn child, a child born into poverty, or a family of six not knowing where their next meal is coming from, you name it, a society that accepts those things while cutting taxes for the richest among us is not a virtuous society. We must strive for a more virtuous country.”
Re-election Prospects: Safe Republican, Bridges is a legend in the state.
Portrayed By:

5th District: Mackenzie Dreifort, Republican
Elected:
Election Results: Won with 73.8% of the vote in 2018
Committee Memberships: Agriculture; and Judiciary
Biography: A former all-star baseball player for the Atlanta Braves, decided to return home and run for office after tearing his ACL and never truly recovering. Apart from that he is a fairly generic conservative. Took some flack in 2017 for supporting the allocation of public funds for new sports stadiums, but that blew over quickly.
Re-election Prospects: Safe Republican. A generic conservative that will always do well in his district.
Portrayed By:

6th District: Corey Parker, Republican
Elected:
2018, after incumbent Roger Callahan stepped down
Election Results: Won with 75.8% of the vote in 2018
Committee Memberships: Budget; Oversight and Government Reform; and Ways and Means
Biography: A co-founder of the Alabama Policy Institute, a conservative think tank, Parker is a very thoughtful conservative. He has huge, grand ideas for how to evolve the American government and economy for the 21st century and makes his views quite well known on the Sunday talk ever since winning last month.
Re-election Prospects: Safe Republican, Parker fits this district like a glove.
Portrayed By:

7th District: Billy McCain, Democrat
Elected:
Election Results: Won with an incredible 98.4% of the vote in 2018
Committee Memberships: Armed Services; Education and the Workforce; and Ethics
Biography: Born into a family of civil rights legends that marched with Martin Luther King Jr, Billy joined the Navy and played football for the school when they offered him a full scholarship. While he’s a solid liberal in most areas, he is hard-core pro-military. After his service, he joined the football coaching staff at the University of Alabama. Eventually some of his players convinced him to follow his family’s legacy and make a difference in the world. First by running for Mayor of Selma in 2006, and then for congress in 2010. He focuses on military issues for the most part, but discrimination in the workforce is a big one too. From his day’s coaching, he also believes that student athletes should be allowed to unionize.
Re-election Prospects: Safe Democrat. He is the most popular democrat in the state, and he’ll hold this seat for as long as he wants to.
Portrayed By:

Last edited:
Just to make it clear and clear up any misunderstandings about what MIGHT happen.

On Monday December 17th in each state Capital during the course of the day, the electors of each state vote for both President & Vice President. They don't vote for the ticket eg Seaborn & Hollis or Shallick & Hunter.

To be elected to either office, each candidate must reach 270 votes. Thus it is possible for Seaborn to be elected President but if enough electors abstain or vote for another candidate, Hollis could be left short of the required 270 votes. This has happened once in US history in 1836 when 22 Democratic electors in Virginia abstained and refused to vote for the VP nominee Richard M. Johnson. This caused what is known as a contingent election which is the procedure used in Presidential Elections in the case where no candidate wins an absolute majority of votes in the Electoral College.

Each states Votes are sent to Congress which confirms the votes on Thursday January 3rd 2019 (the new Congress) and Vice-President Clark announces the results. If no candidate has reached 270 votes in the Vice-Presidential counting, the Senate is required by the terms of the 12th amendment to go into session that day and vote for Vice-President. The Senate votes between one of the top two vice presidential electoral vote-winners as vice president. (Meaning it could not vote for say Andrew Thorn unless he finished higher in the voting in the electoral college on December 17th than Hollis).Senators cast votes individually in this election. Additionally, the 12th Amendment states that a "majority of the whole number" of senators (currently 51 of 100) is necessary for election. The language requiring an absolute majority of Senate votes may preclude the sitting vice president from breaking any tie which might occur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contingent_election

Before you all go into meltdown, I am not saying it is going to happen, I am just saying it could and what would happen if it did.

I am preparing for headaches, hopefully there won't be any but it is better to have a raincoat with when they say there is a chance of showers. Then you're not soaked.

NBS.COM
Thursday December 6th 2018

President-Elect Seaborn holds "crises" meetings with the Democratic Leadership over Hollis Vice-Presidency

President-Elect Seaborn held talks late into the night on Wednesday at Blair House with the Democratic leadership, as the crises over the likelyhood that VP Elect Franklin Hollis could very well not be elected by the electoral college when it votes on Monday December 17th.

There is a very strong possibility that Democratic electors when voting for Vice-President could abstain or vote for another candidate. It would only take five electors to go "rogue" (faithless) and Hollis would fail to reach the required 270 votes to be elected by the electoral College. If this happens and no candidate is elected Vice-President by the electoral college, than the election would be decided by the incoming Senate once the results have been confirmed by Vice-President Clark in a Joint session of Congress due to be held on January 3rd. In that event it looks likely that the Senate which has a Republican majority would vote Jack Hunter Vice-President.

Seaborn spoke at length with Senate Minority Leader Jimmy Fitzsimmons, the likely Speaker of the House, Daniel Maddox, and the head of the Democratic Governors Conference Maine Governor Paris Stray. It is believed that Fitzsimmons believes that Hollis will not reach 270 electoral votes, and that Seaborn should ask Hollis to stand aside, and then allow the Electoral College a vote on an agreed new candidate, he is believed to have suggested Maine Senator Stephen Wilson, former Democratic Senator and Defence Secretary under President Walken,now a registered Independent Brian Cambridge, and a Republican former Vermont Senator Matthew Skinner. All three candidates he said would likely have support and been voted in. Maddox said that if "something wasn't done you are facing the very real possibility that Jack Hunter is going to be your Vice-President". Paris Stray like Fitzsimmons suggested Stephen Wilson as a possible Vice-President but adding that "only happens if you get Hollis to withdraw now or you throw him under a bus, as it stands at the moment Hollis will not reach 270 electoral votes, but he is likely to be the second highest candidate, so it would go to the Senate, and Hunter would win".

The transition team has so far refused to say anything, especially after Hollis interview with NBS on Tuesday night and the incoming administration is facing it's first crises and it is not even in office yet.

Last edited:
If the electors meet on December 17, it's not too late for Hollis to withdraw and Seaborn to name another vice president. I remember from the Election Day episode after Leo McGarry died that a new Vice President can be named before the electors meet and they can vote on that person. If a new Vice President is named after the electors meet, he/she needs to be confirmed by Congress.