Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Crazy Boris

Banned
BA0E1303-6D49-409C-86FD-3257FDDC3F8B.jpeg

I picked up this book from the library today: “Nowherelands: an atlas of vanished countries 1840-1975”, by a Norwegian author who basically uses his stamp collection to share the stories of some weird obscure places from history. In this entry, for Eastern Rumelia, the locator map shows Romania has been annexed into Russia, Macedonia is independent and ruling most of Thrace, and Anatolia has sunk.
Generally, the maps in this book are pretty good (and the book itself is really interesting), but this one’s inaccuracies were too interesting to not share.

I picked up this book from the library today: “Nowherelands: an atlas of vanished countries 1840-1975”, by a Norwegian author who basically uses his stamp collection to share the stories of some weird obscure places from history. In this entry, for Eastern Rumelia, the locator map shows Romania has been annexed into Russia, Macedonia is independent and ruling most of Thrace, and Anatolia has sunk.
Generally, the maps in this book are pretty good (and the book itself is really interesting), but this one’s inaccuracies were too interesting to not share.
Eastern Rumelia was also not that big and was never a country in its own right, at most being an autonomous region. Which may be properly within the scope of that book, I'm not sure.

Crazy Boris

Banned
Eastern Rumelia was also not that big and was never a country in its own right, at most being an autonomous region. Which may be properly within the scope of that book, I'm not sure.

Yeah, it has non-independent places too like Labuan and German Qingdao

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
WASHINGTON DC IS THE FUCKING KESTREL

Fun fact: that map's actually used to keep state magnets on

71nUk69KRdL._SX466_.jpg

Rascally Swedes are up to no good in NW Finland.

'Tis a unique Finland, with coasts on both the Baltic and the White Sea, its northwestern and southeastern borders running through the two divided cities of Oulu/Uleåborg and Viipuri/Viborg. A Greater Finland with a lot of grudges towards its neighbours. Let's add a Finnish exclave in Estonia and vice versa to complete the picture.

'Tis a unique Finland, with coasts on both the Baltic and the White Sea, its northwestern and southeastern borders running through the two divided cities of Oulu/Uleåborg and Viipuri/Viborg. A Greater Finland with a lot of grudges towards its neighbours. Let's add a Finnish exclave in Estonia and vice versa to complete the picture.

Estonian Aland Islands.