Medieval America Mark III

tehskyman

Banned
Albany is still technically the "capital", the governor happens to live just outside of Syracuse. However, Albany county is either a vassal, independent, or an ecclesiastic state. I'm leaning towards an ecclesiastic state run by a holy order. There aren't nearly enough of those so far and Quebec is right there. Vermont should also be an ecclesiastic state too.

tehskyman

Banned
Hmm, I wonder if Boston could have dual status as both an important port for the rump USA and the capital of the State of Massachusetts. Perhaps, there is a federal quarter of the city which contains the port and there is a state quarter. The same could go for Providence as well.

As well, which of the great American universities would survive? The Ivy leagues probably would, but what about in the midwest, south, west etc.

Hmm, I wonder if Boston could have dual status as both an important port for the rump USA and the capital of the State of Massachusetts. Perhaps, there is a federal quarter of the city which contains the port and there is a state quarter. The same could go for Providence as well.

As well, which of the great American universities would survive? The Ivy leagues probably would, but what about in the midwest, south, west etc.

The universities of the Great Plains are definitely screwed. It just depends on what the Cowboy position on literacy is.

Alternate idea for Albany, Corporate State under the Canal Guilds.
I agree with teshkyman, we need more monastic states and it makes sense. I suppose canal guilds could have an outsized influence, though.

It's worth noting that Albany is not within the Great Lakes: the only post that NEEDS to be done now is the rump State of New York. After that all that's left is flavor and detailing. Once its done, we can move on to the Gulf.

I'd considered this for a while especially with boston, as the line seems to be cutting though the city itself. I'd tenatively say that the US controls East Boston, South Boston and Charlestown, perhaps with a few other concessions here and there.

As to universities that would last;

The UC schools would probably be maintained in California, both for training the priesthood and the civil service.

Colleges proliferate in the highly intellectual Northwest (Laska excepted), with Eugene being the largest center.

I could see Brigham Young surviving as a Mormon seminary or civil service school.

Most colleges in New Mexico were destroyed by the Simpletons, what ones survived were eclipsed as educational centers by temple complexes.

None on the plains of course.

Most Texan colleges were probably burned by the Andersons when they invaded.

UChicago was likely destroyed but considering the prestige it may be in an ongoing process of rebuilding.

William and Mary survives as a quasi-Ivy.

I could see Penn State surviving. Same goes for Ohio and Michigan.

Difficult to say with Louisiana, but I see most of the colleges dissappearing into the swamp.

I would think that most of the schools in ajd around Washington would survive but become minor with the capital movinf to Baltimore.

hmmmm what to do about human structures

thus far we've mostly ignored skyscrapers

It’s been centuries since they had any sort of maintenance. If I remember Life After People well, that means they should’ve collapsed long ago. Especially the newer glass-walled skyscrapers.

Once the Syracuse post gets made, I might make a post on the Canal Guilds, since that feeds into (both literally and figuratively) the Great Lakes.

tehskyman

Banned
Once the Syracuse post gets made, I might make a post on the Canal Guilds, since that feeds into (both literally and figuratively) the Great Lakes.

I'm personally not sure that the canal itself would remain. However the valley through which it runs is still an important trade route.

Since Tk. II it's been standard procedure to largely ignore them, with occasional exceptions for aesthetics (as in the case of Las Vegas).

Then NYC could be another such exception since it'd be filled with artificial hills formed from the debris and maybe a couple of rivers where streets used to be.

tehskyman

Banned
Then NYC could be another such exception since it'd be filled with artificial hills formed from the debris and maybe a couple of rivers where streets used to be.

I don't think NYC should be another exception because then people would switch to mining those hills for steel and stone.

Last edited:
MedievalAmercaWIP.png

Here's a WIP