Decades of Darkness

Decolinization will happen but not in the same was as OTL. A gradual shifting responsibilities to natives followed by 'independence'. It is doubtful many nation's will be truly independent because they cannot leave the sphere they exist in.

Decolinization will happen but not in the same was as OTL. A gradual shifting responsibilities to natives followed by 'independence'. It is doubtful many nation's will be truly independent because they cannot leave the sphere they exist in.
So, neocolonialism?

The Newest South is something different enough from your standard colony not to warrant the label. Due to racial reasons, its locals are granted autonomy from Columbia, and have some type of rights only in their territories. This may have the side effect of making the creation of regional fiefdoms easier, as the locals a) have no incentive to identify with the US that conquered them b) are outside of the US political system by being in the territories c) are or will be granted autonomy for racial reasons. I 'expect' this to lead to them effectively running the show in their regions, and gradually 'seceding' from the US proper through drains on the economy through patronage, much like the Brezhnev-era fiefdoms of the USSR.

I would not stretch the USSR analogies far. The *US still has far more in common with the OTL US than it does the OTL USSR, most significantly being the incredibly strong hold that the idea of 'America' (or *America) has on the citizens of that country. The *USA has more legitimacy in their eyes than the USSR ever could in the eyes of Russians, Ukrainians, etc, as it is synonymous with their nation. All of the territories ruled by the *US are going to be tied to it by political, economic, and military forces. It's certainly possible that large territories will be dominated by a small number of wealthy men, but they are more likely to do so with the backing and support of the US government than in opposition to it. This USA exists to enrich its upper class, an upper class which has seen rather enormous benefits from working together as a single state. As for locals having their own autonomy, with the kind-of sort-of exception of Chile there is no reason to think that any of them will not be dominated by 'white' Americans. Chile would be extremely lucky to get an Argentina-style deal wherein it causes no trouble for the US and in return runs itself. It will never be independent so long as the USN dominates South American waters.

xsampa

Banned
Will Islamism have any role to play in the Silent War? I'm talking about one faction backing an Islamist group to spite the other, and allowing them to gain control over a country.

The *US still has far more in common with the OTL US than it does the OTL USSR, most significantly being the incredibly strong hold that the idea of 'America' (or *America) has on the citizens of that country. The *USA has more legitimacy in their eyes than the USSR ever could in the eyes of Russians, Ukrainians, etc, as it is synonymous with their nation.

Just because the empire that conquered them is named after their shared continent, it does not make it synonymous with their nation.
If anything, the legitimacy of the *USA among tets, peons and slaves is going to be weaker than the legitimacy of the USSR among Soviet citizens.

Just because the empire that conquered them is named after their shared continent, it does not make it synonymous with their nation.
If anything, the legitimacy of the *USA among tets, peons and slaves is going to be weaker than the legitimacy of the USSR among Soviet citizens.

It almost certainly will be - I specfically was talking about US citizens.

xsampa

Banned
If the *US manages to coopt the Chileans on the basis of shared whiteness and perks for collaboration, combined with indoctrination and purges of *nationalists, it can expect to see a loyal Chile within a generation or so.

If the *US manages to coopt the Chileans on the basis of shared whiteness and perks for collaboration, combined with indoctrination and purges of *nationalists, it can expect to see a loyal Chile within a generation or so.

The timeline ends with O'Brien being inaugurated as president of the United States. That's the good fellow who start directly enslaving non-American whites. Of course he's supposed to be an improvement over his opponent who proposed outright killing them and making einsatzgruppen, sorry kill squads in DTL a permanent feature. So colour me unconvinced.

The timeline ends with O'Brien being inaugurated as president of the United States. That's the good fellow who start directly enslaving non-American whites. Of course he's supposed to be an improvement over his opponent who proposed outright killing them and making einsatzgruppen, sorry kill squads in DTL a permanent feature. So colour me unconvinced.
I think O'Brian enslaved the Canadians as a political manuever to embarrass his opponents and raise his profile when he was recalled. I doubt he will extend it any further as president as it undermines the *US' message of putting everyone in racial order. Furthermore O'Brian himself is the byproduct of co-opting local whites so he knows the importance of it the way his opponet may have forgotten.

Speaking of conquered territories, would the US be able to conquer *Nigeria if Portugal collapsed?

I doubt the US would want it. It has nothing of value for them. They already have an unlimited labor force and as it is alluded to in the TL mechanization is going to eliminate many unskilled jobs. There are also no natural resources the US needs from it. The only major Nigerian resource I know of is oil and the US has all it needs in Texas and Venezuela.

Additionally the terrority gained would create other problems. Both the Germans and the British Remnant would be unhappy with American expansion. Perhaps most important is the resistance that the locals would have to the American forces. It could quite easily be worse than the other resistance movements they have faced in their past.

xsampa

Banned
If the US doesn't annex Nigeria, how would it develop as a part of a much larger Kingdom under Portuguese rule?

xsampa

Banned
Does anyone know if/where there is a map detailing the political ideologies of the various countries in DoD? I swear I saw one.

If the US doesn't annex Nigeria, how would it develop as a part of a much larger Kingdom under Portuguese rule?

Probably with an extreme level of German influence. Portugal on its own would be unable to stem Imperial influence, which with it's essentially non-racist/anti colonialist foreign policy has some pretty strong cards to play. Nigeria is valuable enough that the Germans would make sure this influence was minimised. It probably becomes autonomous in a generation or so.

Probably with an extreme level of German influence. Portugal on its own would be unable to stem Imperial influence, which with it's essentially non-racist/anti colonialist foreign policy has some pretty strong cards to play. Nigeria is valuable enough that the Germans would make sure this influence was minimised. It probably becomes autonomous in a generation or so.
We'd probably see Germany use Portugal and Aragon (the owners of the Congo) as proxies for imperialism in sub-Saharan Africa. Given that they're already trying to hold down their European and North African vassals, they probably don't want to get bogged down in it themselves, but the continent's too valuable to simply leave to the other great powers. Plus, while both Portugal and Aragon hold a great deal of imperial wealth on paper, their metropoles are small and vulnerable to invasion by Germany if they decide that they have ideas above their station. We'll probably see Germany effectively bankrolling the Portuguese and Aragonese colonial forces, hoping to keep both the Restored Empire from spreading further into Africa and the leaders of Portugal and Aragon (especially local colonial elites, who are much further from German guns than the people in the metropole) from getting the idea that the *US might be a better bet to help them save their empires.

Of course, OTL's US didn't want to get involved in South Vietnam, and wanted to use local forces as proxies for its anti-communist efforts, and look how that ended up. West and Central Africa are probably going to be a mess of proxy wars.

xsampa

Banned
One wonders what would happen if Germany had not included reducing the Royal Navy, and Britain gave up her colonies. Germany, in addition to her existing colonies, would possess British China, Egypt, Nigeria, Sudan, Oman, Palestine, N. Borneo, Minandao and Somaliland. Combined with the French colonies seized at that point, Germany would effectively rule all of Africa, half of East Asia, almost all of SE Asia and a good portion of the Middle East. With victory comes victory disease. I expect Germany to do the following: 1. Incorporate as overseas duchy. Formosans suggested that Formosa be incorporated as a province in the past. Now that Germany dominates the Med and Indian Oceans, and West Pacific, incorporation of cturally Germanized regions like Libya or Formosa is possible and reduces the # of troops needed.
2. Protectorate status. It allows newly conquered peoples some autonomy and makes Germany look better thanBritain, France or Aragon. Practiced inMorroco and Egypt.

This is going to be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. What it would take for Germany to win a war against Russia in this timeline, after the events of the last major war?

One wonders what would happen if Germany had not included reducing the Royal Navy, and Britain gave up her colonies. Germany, in addition to her existing colonies, would possess British China, Egypt, Nigeria, Sudan, Oman, Palestine, N. Borneo, Minandao and Somaliland. Combined with the French colonies seized at that point, Germany would effectively rule all of Africa, half of East Asia, almost all of SE Asia and a good portion of the Middle East. With victory comes victory disease. I expect Germany to do the following: 1. Incorporate as overseas duchy. Formosans suggested that Formosa be incorporated as a province in the past. Now that Germany dominates the Med and Indian Oceans, and West Pacific, incorporation of cturally Germanized regions like Libya or Formosa is possible and reduces the # of troops needed.
2. Protectorate status. It allows newly conquered peoples some autonomy and makes Germany look better thanBritain, France or Aragon. Practiced inMorroco and Egypt.

Hard to see Germany reestablishing itself in Asia. IJN+RAN is more than enough to make any incursions east of India difficult, and if the RN is intact it will be very difficult for Germany to exert its full naval strength against those two. Not to mention that Japan/Aus have been arming the locals in the various colonies for a few years, while China is already a coherent state with a large land army. Germany would struggle to digest all of East/South East Asia even without the interference of the remaining powers. Africa would probably role over pretty quickly though, including IMO South Africa.

This is going to be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. What it would take for Germany to win a war against Russia in this timeline, after the events of the last major war?

Define 'win'. Germany ITTL is more industrialised and much richer than Russia in the immediate post-Great War period, though much more exhausted. It has only one front to worry about, though it is tied down occupying large parts of Western Europe. German allies, in particular Poland, are no slouches. IMO it is unlikely that even a combination of any two superpowers would be able to actually destroy the third (Nineteen Eighty-Four anyone?), but a German victory that saw Russian influence/power broken in the Middle-East/Africa seems pretty plausible, as is a Russian victory that sees modest gains in Eastern Europe. The geography is too vast and international variables too volatile to make any other sort of victory for each side likely.

xsampa

Banned
Russia also launches a determined effort later in the war and post-war in China where it still tries to move into the power vacuum caused by the fall of Britain.
In the no-NAW ATL, would Russia create multiple Chinese states or just colonize the rest?

SuperZtar64

Banned
Let's be honest, the people who really drew the short end of the stick ITTL are the poor, poor American schoolchildren who will be forced to memorize 77+ American states and capitals.