The Sun, The Stars and The Sickle: Alt-WWII and a Tripolar Postwar World

What would you like to see next

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
More like co-belligerents. [/nitpick]
I can't imagine either nation is thrilled at the prospect. The U.S.A. and Japan will just have to make the best of it. Co- belligerents describes it nicely. Not the war they wanted. But this the war they got. Obviously they would prefer to fight each other. Oh well never mind.:cool:

I did agonize over the wording, admittedly. I went with "allies" for a couple reasons: the main one is that the United States is effectively joining the established Alliance between Britain, France and Japan, and now the Soviet Union as well. Moreso than OTL WWII, the enemy is Nazi Germany- as Wu is legitimized, Chiang is reduced to the role of a Nazi puppet in Allied eyes, and Italy isn't involved either, so there is the shared aim of crushing Nazi Germany and their Chinese proxies, and extensive cooperation in so doing.

Well then Chiang. You f*cked up pal.

Indeed he did!

I'm not entirely unsympathetic, however. Old Man Sun designates you his successor, and a bunch of warlords just don't get it. You beat them up, and about two minutes later, the Commies start being a pain. You send them packing to Xinjiang, and about two minutes later, the Japanese roll up, all "Konnichiwa, Shina! I'll have Manchuria, thanks!" and nobody seems concerned enough to help you get rid of them. This whole time, your one good ally has been the Germans, and up until now, their advice has been pretty good.

Last edited:
I also feel that this is also an intervention to ensure that the Anglo-Japanese don't claim the entirety of China in their puppets as well; either way, the US will oppose the expansion of Japanese power, so creating a wedge between Japanese objectives would be paramount.

Wu's clique/the Union of China seems to be their opportunity to force the Japanese from intervening further South.

Feel like another “Boxer Uprising“ with the rebels have more modern weapons. Either way Chan messed up big time. Hongkong will remain British for good.

Also does US policy Europe first still remain in this timeline?

Feel like another “Boxer Uprising“ with the rebels have more modern weapons. Either way Chan messed up big time. Hongkong will remain British for good.

Also does US policy Europe first still remain in this timeline?

This time, instead of it being 8 against one, it's only 5 on 2! (Japan/Japanese Allies, Britain/British Empire, France, USA, Union of China vs. Republic of China and Germany).

The "Europe First" priority will still be in place. The Allies are in pretty good shape here- France is stronger, and the Allies have overwhelming naval supremacy.

There is a much narrower front, with Italy not in the fight. Conversely, it will be a narrower front for Germany to defend.

In ship news, upon learning of the USA's entry, one of the first acts of the French Government in Exile, is to have Jean Bart taken to New York Navy Yard to have her fitout completed and her final twin 15" turret built and installed. As payment, the liner Normandie is to be transferred to the USN as USS Lafayette. Proposals for conversion to a troopship or an auxiliary transport and maintenance aircraft carrier are under consideration.

The Royal Navy has also completed the Illustrious class carriers, Indomitable is the first to be built with an angled deck; a feature to be repeated on the following Implacable class, currently under construction. HMS Ark Royal is scheduled to go in for a major refit after the latter 2 are done; a deck-edge elevator is being proposed, the major hangup being the design for the door to the armoured hangar.

I did agonize over the wording, admittedly. I went with "allies" for a couple reasons: the main one is that the United States is effectively joining the established Alliance between Britain, France and Japan, and now the Soviet Union as well. Moreso than OTL WWII, the enemy is Nazi Germany- as Wu is legitimized, Chiang is reduced to the role of a Nazi puppet in Allied eyes, and Italy isn't involved either, so there is the shared aim of crushing Nazi Germany and their Chinese proxies, and extensive cooperation in so doing.

And there is also this minor matter of Japan not having gone down to collective insanity like OTL.

Sorry for the unexpected hiatus, I hope to be able to deliver a quality update soon!

Now that this, uh, small matter of divergence has been dealt with, is there anything anybody would like to see next or any questions that need answering? There are a few things I could do next, but I'd like to make sure everybody's getting what they want!

You've covered the additional capital ships of the United States, and touched upon the additional Japanese capital ships, but at least to my knowledge you haven't covered the additional capital ships of the Royal Navy. What additional forces do the British have?

You've covered the additional capital ships of the United States, and touched upon the additional Japanese capital ships, but at least to my knowledge you haven't covered the additional capital ships of the Royal Navy. What additional forces do the British have?

I did a post about them near the beginning of the thread, but I realize I never did one that sums up the totals neatly for each nation! TTL development parallels OTL until 1922. What we get is:

Royal Navy:

• Hood reconstructed 1935-1937; Renown, Repulse received only minor refits instead.
  • +4 G3/Nelson class battlecruisers (48 000t, 32.5kn, 9x16"). 1922.
  • No OTL Nelsons
  • +4 "Q3" class battleships (compromise between N3 and O3 aka OTL Nelson). 40 000t, 28.5kn, 9x16" all forward. 1922.
  • No OTL KGVs
  • +6 King George V class battleships (44 000t, 30.5kn, 9x16"). 1937.
  • HMS Vanguard split from 1938 programme KGVs, laid down to new spec. 64 000t, 30.5kn, 12x16") Late 1940.
Imperial Japanese Navy:
  • Kongos rebuilt as improved battlecruisers rather than fast battleships (30 000t, 31kn, 8x14" as rebuilt); Fuso, Ise classes rebuilt as hybrid carriers starting 1939.
  • Nagato, Mutsu reconstructed as fast battleships, early 1930s. (32 000t, 26kn, 8x16"/L45 as built)
  • Tosa, Kaga completed as battleships. Laid down 1920, reconstructed mid-1930s. 39 000t, 26kn, 10x16"/L45 as built.
  • Amagi, Akagi: Laid down 1920. Construction proceeds slowly, partially redesigned to incorporate Kii class features. Completed 1927, reconstructed late 1930s. 44 000t, 31kn, 10x16"/L50 as built
  • Atago, Takao: Originally laid down in 1920 as Amagi class battlecruisers. Completed as fleet carriers.
  • Yamato class- 3 fast battleships designed to lead a kido butai carrier taskforce. LD 1940 (Yamato, Musashi), 1941 (Shinano). 62 000t, 34kn, 12x16"/L53.
  • Fewer heavy cruisers than OTL.
United States Navy:

• +1 Colorado class battleship
  • +4 South Dakota class battleships laid down 1920. 2 scrapped on ways in 1923; North Carolina and South Dakota extensively modernized in mid 1930s, nicknamed Caro Maru and Soda Maru due to their curvy lines like Japanese capital ships and cruisers.
  • +2 Lexington class battlecruisers laid down 1920 and modernized 1934-36. 2 completed as carriers, 2 scrapped on ways.
  • No OTL North Carolina, South Dakota 1939, Iowa or Montana classes. Instead:
  • 4x Louisiana class battleships, laid down 1937. 44 000t.
  • 2x Oregon class battleships laid down 1939.
  • 4x Alaska class small (later redesignated light) battleships and 4 Defiance class small aviation battleships laid down 1940. 35 and 37 000 t.
  • 8x Alabama class battleships laid down 1940. 67 000t.
Kriegsmarine:

• As OTL except:
  • Bismarck class. 4 planned, 2 completed, laid down starting 1935. 58 000t, 29.5kn, 8x16.5". Additional ships in lieu of H39 class, dismantled incomplete 1941.
Marine Nationale

• As in OTL except for bigger Richelieus
Regia Marina

• As OTL, except more heavy cruisers in lieu of modernization of Conte di Cavour and Caio Duilio class battleships.

EDIT: The Soviet Navy- is a surprise to be revealed ;)

Next post will be carrier classes, which I have omitted while tweaking numbers and configurations.

This TL does incorporate a lot of alt-tech but I'm trying to keep it consistent within the TL as best as I can. For instance, Japan's battlefleet is faster to cope with a stronger US battle line and 2 battlecruisers, so the USN develops an aviation cruiser with scouting and standoff capability, and the Airabonita as a fighter that can operate from it, and so on.

Last edited:
Marine Nationale

• As in OTL except for bigger Richelieus
Regia Marina

• As OTL except more heavy cruisers in lieu of modernizatio of Conte di Cavour and Caio Duilio class battleships.

I believe you have written both to match Paris treaty limits of 42,000t standard? That makes the ATL Richelieus roughly equivalent to OTLs Alsace class design with 9 guns in triple turrets and arguably the C2 design with 9x16in guns is the only one making sense in TTL. With everyone including the Germans building only 16in gunned ships since 1921 it would make no sense for the French to go for a smaller calibre.

Same logic for the Italians really, ATL Littorios should be probably very similar to the UP41 design with 9x16in guns each and given how the amounts spent on the Cavour modernizations were roughly similar to a pair of Littorios the Italians can certainly afford it... and spend less overall on battleships since they are not modernizing the Cavours.

I believe you have written both to match Paris treaty limits of 42,000t standard? That makes the ATL Richelieus roughly equivalent to OTLs Alsace class design with 9 guns in triple turrets and arguably the C2 design with 9x16in guns is the only one making sense in TTL. With everyone including the Germans building only 16in gunned ships since 1921 it would make no sense for the French to go for a smaller calibre.

Same logic for the Italians really, ATL Littorios should be probably very similar to the UP41 design with 9x16in guns each and given how the amounts spent on the Cavour modernizations were roughly similar to a pair of Littorios the Italians can certainly afford it... and spend less overall on battleships since they are not modernizing the Cavours.

A good catch!

On the matter of gun calibres, I had to play with it a little.

The Germans aren't laying down any ships with guns larger than 11" until late in 1935, although the breeches are designed to be bored out and barrels re-sleeved for 16.5" from the outset.

The Italians and the French do indeed build their ships up to the 44 000t limit of the 1937 PNT. The French adopt a 10x15" arrangement, something of a 15" KGV. The Italians go with a 9x15" design, built to the larger size of Roma for all 4.

Why 15"? The French, and the Italians in particular, both have an excellent 15" gun. Even the Royal Navy's BL 15" Mk I fires a shell as heavy as a US non-superheavy 16" with excellent accuracy. By contrast, the 16" Mk. I, firing a comparatively lighter shell for the calibre at higher velocity, is something of a disappointment, which isn't fully rectified until the Mk. III on the KGVs and Mk. IV on Vanguard. The Italian 15" fires a heavy shell at very high velocity with excellent range and penetration. They're good guns, tried and true and neither nation has experience with 16"s and would need new gun pits.

France and Italy also have their biggest rival in each other, and neither expects to go up against a top-tier navy on their own. If France escalates to 16" to counter the Bismarcks rather than the Scharnhorsts , Italy will respond with 16"s as well, causing more problems for France- the RN will be on France's side to deal with whatever they can't punch through. Conversely, if Italy escalates, France will as well, and the RN will bolster the Med fleet even more. Maintaining contact with the colonies is the better investment for Italy.

And, now for fun with aircraft carriers! Appearance, dimensions and displacement are either current to mid-1941 for ships already completed or what their as-completed appearance is projected to be.

So it's not unmanageable, we'll start with Japan

Imperial Japanese Navy

Hosho (1920)

Flag: Japan

Type: Experimental Carrier

Single Ship Class

Dimensions: 552' x 59' x 20'. 7 600t standard

Air Wing: 15

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 25 kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Straight deck

-Open bow and stern

-Original starboard conning tower removed

Atago Class (1920)

Type: Fleet Carrier

Ships in Class:

Atago
Takao

Dimensions: 855' x 103' x 28.7'. 36 500t standard.

Air Wing: 66 + 25 reserve

Propulsion: Oil fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 31.5 kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Straight deck, open bow and stern.

-Port side island

-Laid down as battlecruisers; converted mid-1920s.

Soryu (1934)

Single Ship Class

Dimensions: 746' x 70' x 25'. 16 200 t standard.

Air Wing: 63 + 9 reserve

Propulsion: Oil fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 34 kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Open bow and stern, flight deck extends full length

-Starboard island

-Straight deck

Hiryu (1935)

Single Ship Class

Dimensions: 746' x 73' x 25.7'. 17 300 t standard

Air Wing: 64 + 9 reserve

Characteristics:

-Open bow and stern, flight deck extends nearly full length.

-Starboard island

-Straight deck

Shokaku Class (1937)

Ships in Class:

Shokaku
Zuikaku

Dimensions: 845' x 95' x 30.7'. 26 000 t standard

Air Wing: 72 + 12 reserve

Propulsion: Oil fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 34.5 kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Open bow and stern, flight deck extends nearly full length.

-Starboard island, positioned well forward

-Straight deck

Taiho (1941)

Single Ship Class

Dimensions: 931' x 156' (at flight deck) x 33.6' 45 000 t standard load.

Air Wing: 78 + 26 in reserve.

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 34.5kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Design has its roots in the Shokaku class; enlarged and equipped with an angled deck, larger elevators and additional armour. Designed as the pilot for a projected new class of carriers. Designed around the principle of qualitative superiority in exchange for quantitative inferiority. Air wing comparatively lower due to additional armour and larger aircraft.

-Hurricane bow, enclosed stern, flight deck overhanging.

-Starboard island, positioned well forward

-Angled deck

-Steam catapults

Unryuu Class (1941)

Type: Fleet Carrier; later re-designated light carrier.

Ships in Class (planned; first 5 laid down in 1941):

Unryuu
Katsuragi
Kasagi
Aso
Ikoma
Kurama
Kaimon
Ryujo
Kaiyo
Kaya

Dimensions: 783' x 126' (at flight deck) x 27.7. 22 600 t standard

Air Wing: 64 + 9 reserve

Characteristics:

-Essentially repeats of Hiryu, with angled decks and other improvements.

-Hurricane bow, open stern, flight deck overhanging.

-Starboard island,

-Angled deck

-First 3 proposed with hydraulic catapults, subsequent with steam catapults. All constructed with steam catapults.

Last edited:
Oh, say can you see... the American TTL flat-tops!

The Essexes were a bit of a challenge to name, as since the USN isn't fighting Japan, there aren't going to be ships named after battles with Japan, and I also don't want to reveal which carriers, if any, get sunk, so I had to dip into Civil War battles. USN experts, feel free to correct me if I have a name that another ship is using, or if it's grossly out of character.

USS Langley (1920)

(CV-1) is a seaplane tender, converted in 1937.

USS_Langley_%28AV-3%29.jpg

Constellation Class (1920)

Flag: USA

Ships in Class:

Constellation (CV-2)
Ranger (CV-3)

Dimensions: 888' x 106' x 30.5' . 36 000 t standard

Air Wing: 78

Propulsion: Oil fired boilers, turbo-electric drive. 33.25 kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Straight deck, extends full length

-Starboard island, very large slab-sided funnel

-Open bow and stern

-Hydraulic catapult

USS United States (1934)

Single Ship Class (CV-4)

Dimensions: 769' x 109.5' x 22.5'. 15 000 t standard

Air Wing: 76-86

Propulsion: Oil fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 29.5kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Straight deck, extends full length

-Starboard island

-Open bow and stern

-Hydraulic catapults

-3 small funnels per side.

Yorktown Class (1935)

Ships in Class:

Yorktown (CV-5)
Enterprise (CV-6)
Hornet (CV-8)

Dimensions: 824 x 109.5 x 26' 20 000t standard

Air Wing: 90

Propulsion: Oil fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 32.5kn rated speed

Characteristics:

-Straight deck, extends nearly full length

-Open bow and stern

-Starboard island

-Hydraulic catapults

USS Wasp (CV-7) 1936

Single ship class

Dimensions: 751' x 121' (at flight deck) x 20'. 17 000t at standard load

Air Wing: 80-100

Propulsion: Oil fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 29.5kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Angled deck, extends nearly full length

-Open bow and stern

-Starboard island

-Hydraulic catapults

Scorpion Class (1939)

Ships in Class:

Scorpion(CV-9)
Firefly (CV-10)

Dimensions: 846' x 141' x 26'. 25 000t standard load.

Air Wing: 90-105

Propulsion: Oil fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 32.5kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Angled deck; deck stops just short of forepeak to accommodate AA guns.

-Open bow and stern

-Starboard island

-Hydraulic catapults

-Essentially follow-on Yorktowns with Wasp features added; the "spiritual predecessors" to the Essex class.

Essex Class (Short Hull) 1941

Ships in Class:

Essex (CV-11)
Bon Homme Richard (CV-12)
Intrepid (CV-13)
Kearsarge (CV-14)
Franklin (CV-15)
Cabot (CV-18)
Bunker Hill (CV-19)
Oriskany (CV-20)
Bennington (CV-22)
Chancellorsville (CV-23)

Dimensions: 894' x 164' x 27' 37 000 t standard

Air Wing: 110

Propulsion: Oil fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 32kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Angled deck

-Starboard island

-Hydraulic catapults

-Open bow and stern

Essex/Ticonderoga Class (Long Hull) 1941

Ships in Class:

Ticonderoga (CV-16)
Randolph (CV-17)
Hancock (CV-21)
Lake Erie (CV-32)
Crown Point (CV-33)
Antietam (CV-34)
Lake Champlain (CV-35)
Valley Forge (CV-36)
Princeton (CV-37)
Boxer (CV-38)
Port Royal (CV-39)
Hampton Roads (CV-40)
Mobile Bay (CV-41)
Shiloh (CV-42)

Dimensions: 898' x 166' x 27' (at flight deck) 39 000t standard

Air Wing: 110

Propulsion: Oil fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 32kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Angled deck; deck stops just short of forepeak to accommodate AA guns.

-Open bow and stern

-Starboard island

-Hydraulic catapults

-Slightly larger subclass within the Essex class; steeper angled deck.

Independence Class (1941)

Type: Light Carrier

Ships in Class:

Independence (CVL-23)
Chickamauga (CVL-24)
Belleau Wood (CVL-25)
Cowpens (CVL-26)
San Jacinto (CVL-27)
Vicksburg (CVL-28)
Gettysburg (CVL-29)
White Marsh (CVL-30)
Haw River (CVL-31)

Dimensions: 664' x 128' x 19' 14 000 t standard

Air Wing: 45-50

Propulsion: Oil fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 32.5kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Angled deck; extends nearly full length

-Open bow and stern

-Starboard island

-Hydraulic catapult

-Hull form adapted from the Vincennes class light cruiser, modified for improved carrier configuration.

Last edited:
Some talk of Polyphemus and some of the Hermes; of Eagle and Audacious and such great ships as these...

And now for the Royal Navy!

The RN, TTL, decided on some pendant number reform. Experimental and fleet Carriers are allocated pendant numbers 99-50 descending (capital ships have 00 through 49 ascending); light carriers are allocated the Flag Superior "R" with double-digit Flags Inferior. Unlike the USN, pendants and flags superior/inferior are assigned at commissioning, so I had to so there'd at least be some degree of consistency.

Argus (99) 1918

Flag: Great Britain

Single Ship Class

Dimensions: 556' x 68' x 23'. 14 500 t standard.

Air Wing: 15-18

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 20 kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Straight deck; flight deck extends nearly full length

-Open bow and stern

-Flush deck

Hermes (98) 1924

Single Ship Class

Dimensions: 600' x 70' x 23'. 11 000t standard.

Air Wing: 20

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 25kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Straight deck; flight deck extends full length and overhangs stern

-Enclosed bow and stern, flight deck flush with bow without bow overhang.

-Starboard island

Eagle (97) (commissioned as carrier 1924)

Single Ship Class

Dimensions: 667' x 115' x 22 000t standard

Air Wing: 30

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 24 kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Enclosed bow, open stern

-Starboard island

-Converted from Chilean battleship Almirante Cochrane

Furious (96) (commissioned as carrier 1925)

Single ship class

Dimensions: 786' x 88' x 27'. 23 000 t standard.

Air Wing: 36

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 30kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Open bow and stern

-Flush deck, no island; retractable charthouse instead.

-Converted from battlecruiser

Courageous Class (commissioned as carrier 1926-7)

Ships in Class:

Courageous (96)
Glorious (95)

Dimensions:

Air Wing: 48

Propulsion: 786 x 90.6' x 28'. 24 000 t standard.

Characteristics:

-Open bow and stern

-Starboard island

-Converted from battlecruiser

HMS Ark Royal (94) 1935

Single Ship Class

Dimensions: 800' x 94' x 27.8'. 22 000 t standard

Air Wing: 50-72

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 31kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Straight deck; flight deck greatly overhangs hull, particularly at stern

-Hurricane bow, closed stern

-Hydraulic catapult

-Starboard island

-Exceptionally high freeboard

-Proposed refit for 1943- to add angled deck, deck-edge elevator and steam catapult.

Illustrious Class (1937)

Ships in Class:

Illustrious (93)
Formidable (92)
Victorious (91)

Dimensions: 740' x 95.9' x 29'. 23 000t standard.

Air Wing: 36-57

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 31 kn rated speed

Characteristics:

-Straight deck

-Hydraulic catapults

-Starboard island

-3 shafts

HMS Indomitable (90) (1937)

Single Ship Class

Dimensions: 790' x 145' (at flight deck) x 29'. 27 000 t standard.

Air Wing: 36-57

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 30.5kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Angled deck

-Hydraulic catapults

-Starboard island

-3 shafts

Implacable Class (1939)

Type: Carrier

Ships in Class:

Implacable (89)
Indefatigable (88)

Dimensions: 820' x 155' (at flight deck) x 31'. 31 500 t standard

Air Wing: Up to 80

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers; geared steam turbines. 33 kn rated top speed.

Characteristics:

-Angled deck

-Steam catapults

-Starboard island

-4 shafts

Audacious Class (1942)

Ships in Class:

Audacious (87)
Irresistible (86)

Dimensions: 860' x 164' x 34'. 51 000 t at standard load.

Air Wing: 64-85

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 32 kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Angled deck

-Steam catapults

-Starboard island

Malta Class (1943)

Ships in Class:

4 proposed (names, except for HMS Malta, and pendants not assigned yet)

Dimensions: classified, estimated > 57 000t standard

Air Wing: classified

Propulsion: oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. Top speed in excess of 32 kn.

Characteristics: Little is yet known about the RN's proposed 1943 Programme Large Aircraft Carriers.

Colossus Class (1940)

Ships in Class:

R00 Colossus
R01 Glory
R02 Ocean
R03 Venerable
R04 Vengeance

Dimensions: 695' x 80' x 19'. 13 000t standard

Air Wing: 50

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 24.5 kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Straight deck

-Hydraulic catapult

-Starboard island

Majestic Class (1941)

Ships in Class:

R05 Majestic
R06 Theseus
R07 Perseus
R08 Magnificent
R09 Powerful

Dimensions: 705' x 112' x 23.5'. 16 000t standard

Air Wing: 50

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 24 kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Shallow angled deck

-Hydraulic catapult

-Starboard island

Centaur Class (1943, proposed)

Ships in Class:

R99 Centaur
R98 Albion
R97 Bulwark
R96 Elephant
R95 Hermes
R94 Polyphemus

Dimensions: 751' x 130' x 29.5'. 24 000 t standard

Air Wing: 30-55

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 30kn rated speed.

Characteristics:

-Shallow angled deck

-Steam catapult

-Starboard island

Last edited:
The air wing sizes are largely reflective of each nation's practices:

-RN carriers typically operate in harsh weather (the North Atlantic), and near hostile forces. As such, they have more armour, more weather protection and don't utilize a permanent deck park.

-IJN carriers have all of their aircraft devoted to fighter and strike roles- screening is the responsibility of cruiser floatplanes. They also carry partially-disassembled aircraft in reserve. IJN carriers also rely on speed to outrun their foes.

-USN carriers have scouting as well as fighter and strike aircraft. Their air wings are very large as folding wings are specified for all carrier aircraft (Sea Hurricanes and the first Seafires lack them and some Japanese aircraft only have folding wingtips), and permanent deck parks are utilized.

Escort carriers, thus far, aren't a "thing" yet. In the USN, what would be termed an escort carrier OTL is either an aircraft ferry (T-AKV) or auxiliary carrier (T-ACV).

Last edited:
I think battleships still be believed the most effective and destructive in the ocean in this timeline. There’s no major battle that decide (god dammit I hate to say it) the uselessness of battleships, they can be built after the end of ww2.

Status
Not open for further replies.