Rally for the Farmers! Willie Nelson and the late 20th century populist movement

Musical Interlude: Armageddon Über Alles
I am Reverend Pat Robertson
Vote for me to forgive your sins
God says I shall be president
1st amendment will soon go away
I will be your messiah today
Now I command all of you
Now your gonna pray in school
I'll make sure they're Christian too

Armageddon über alles
Armageddon über alles
Über alles Armageddon
Über alles Armageddon

Theocrats will control you
Still you think it’s biblical
Crusades in the holy land
Don’t forget to nuke Kazakhstan
Close your eyes can’t happen here
The KKK is coming near
Slavery won’t come back you say?
Bow to me or you will pay!
Bow to me or you will pay!

Armageddon über alles
Armageddon über alles
Über alles Armageddon
Über alles Armageddon

Now it is 1994
Knock knock at your mosque door
It’s the CIA secret police
You’re a terrorist, so is your niece
You’ll go quietly to conversion camp
They’ll shoot you dead, make you a man
Don’t you worry it’s for a reason
Trigger the end times or it’s treason
Die in a Liberian prison camp
Or the holocaust of Jerusalem

Wiping out civilization
Wiping out civilization
Punish you for homosexual cravings

Armageddon über alles
Armageddon über alles
Über alles Armageddon
Über alles Armageddon

- Armageddon Über Alles as performed by Jello Biafra and R.F. O'Rourke, late 1996

Written by @Oppo

My God, this election would be absolute hell for the Dead Kennedys. I could totally see them playing both this and California Uber Alles back to back.

My God, this election would be absolute hell for the Dead Kennedys. I could totally see them playing both this and California Uber Alles back to back.
Well them and the entire punk scene, which has a few people that were not involved IOTL.

I also imagine they'd have something to say about Walter Mondale. Something tells me Jello Biafra wouldn't like the idea of a former Vice President coming back and taking the nomination when Willie Nelson could have had it instead.

Well them and the entire punk scene, which has a few people that were not involved IOTL.

I also imagine they'd have something to say about Walter Mondale. Something tells me Jello Biafra wouldn't like the idea of a former Vice President coming back and taking the nomination when Willie Nelson could have had it instead.
Wouldn't Jello be more ok with Mondale getting it though since Willie himself said he didn't want to run again? Then again it is Jello....

I can’t find the exact video, but I remember that Jello really considered Walter Mondale just about as negatively as Reagan (although Diane Feinstein was and still is Jello’s main enemy on the left). He’s probably voting Green as IOTL.

Wouldn't Jello be more ok with Mondale getting it though since Willie himself said he didn't want to run again? Then again it is Jello....
I think Biafra probably thinks Mondale's too establishment for him to back. I could see him voting for Willie Nelson in 1988 and possible 1992, though.

This all said, the Dead Kennedys (not just Jello Biafra) have more political involvement to look for in the future.

So are we going to get Indiana Governor/Senator/Congressman Mellencamp?
After seeing what Willie Nelson went through in his three campaigns, most of his friends are unwilling to get into elected politics.

In other countries, however, particularly Ireland, there are some musicians that are planning on seeking office.

It is so ironic that the professional politicians (that abandoned the sinking Democratic ship) are now in charge of RFTF.

It is so ironic that the professional politicians (that abandoned the sinking Democratic ship) are now in charge of RFTF.
Yeah, that's a concern to the more populist wing (people like Traficant, Angus King, Ted Kaczynski, and even Jello Biafra), but Mondale is being forced to make concessions to them.