The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

I don't think Anne Boleyn came into the scene until 1522. She's still to young for Henry. But a Navarre infanta would be interesting.

Beatrice of Portugal did not wed until 1521, so she's avaliable. But she's still 14, so Isabella might be better.

Here are some avaliable ladies as well.

Anna of Oldenburg
Elizabeth of Hesse
Susanna of Bavaria
Anne of Bohemia and Hungary
Dorothea of Denmark

I don't think Anne Boleyn came into the scene until 1522. She's still to young for Henry. But a Navarre infanta would be interesting.

Beatrice of Portugal did not wed until 1521, so she's avaliable. But she's still 14, so Isabella might be better.

Here are some avaliable ladies as well.

Anna of Oldenburg
Elizabeth of Hesse
Susanna of Bavaria
Anne of Bohemia and Hungary
Dorothea of Denmark

Anne Boleyn is too young at this point, you're right. And don't forget the French will want to get involved...

Isabella of Portugal is really the most prestigious bride for Henry. And she maintains the alliance with Portugal, one of England's oldest foreign relationships. Not to mention a large dowry.

I think Henry can have Beatrice of Portugal but not Isabella as she would not be married to someone else while Charles V is still unmarried (and right now Charles is engaged to either Mary Tudor or the first or second daughter of Francis II of France who are around Mary’s age). Catalina of Austria is still younger than Beatrice so she is unlikely (plus Charles will want to marry her to John of Portugal) and I do not think Henry will want a wife so young and with the same name of his first wife (and her aunt).
Anna of Bohemia and Hungary is out of question as she is already engaged to Ferdinand of Austria...
Really one of the Navarrese Infantas look to be the best choice unless for some reason Marguerite of Angouleme is widowed earlier or better or some reason Eleanor of Austria is not yet married (maybe Maria of Aragon is still alive and talks about an engagement to John are without results as Portugal want a double wedding) as in OTL she had married Manuel I of Portugal in July 1518.

Renee of France sadly is another woman way too young as she is born only in 1510

Edit: reading better looks who Isabella of Portugal is totally out as not only she remained hopeful to marry Charles after being rejected twice but she also thinked who her choices were only marry Charles or going in convent as she do not wished to marry anyone else

Last edited:
I think Henry can have Beatrice of Portugal but not Isabella as she would not be married to someone else while Charles V is still unmarried (and right now Charles is engaged to either Mary Tudor or the first or second daughter of Francis II of France who are around Mary’s age). Catalina of Austria is still younger than Beatrice so she is unlikely (plus Charles will want to marry her to John of Portugal) and I do not think Henry will want a wife so young and with the same name of his first wife (and her aunt).
Anna of Bohemia and Hungary is out of question as she is already engaged to Ferdinand of Austria...
Really one of the Navarrese Infantas look to be the best choice unless for some reason Marguerite of Angouleme is widowed earlier or better or some reason Eleanor of Austria is not yet married (maybe Maria of Aragon is still alive and talks about an engagement to John are without results as Portugal want a double wedding) as in OTL she had married Manuel I of Portugal in July 1518.

Renee of France sadly is another woman way too young as she is born only in 1510

Edit: reading better looks who Isabella of Portugal is totally out as not only she remained opeful to marry Charles after being rejected twice but she also thinked who her choices were only marry Charles or going in convent as she do not wished to marry anyone else
Either Anne or Quiteria of Navarre.

I agree with all of this, but remember it's Henry. He's only going to marry the girl he wants to marry...

Stubborn yes. But Anne Boleyn hasn't told him no yet. So without getting a taste for English roses, he'll presumably wed a princess. England's only foreign marital alliance at this point is to Scotland. OTL, Henry's marital shenaingans left England dangerously isolated. How he disposed of Katherine for Anne ranged the Habsburgs against him, and Anne-Jane Seymour's "disposal" sealed his reputation as a Bluebeard, leaving subjects or non-royal rank foreign princesses as his only recourse. Even Kathryn Parr said that she didn't WANT to marry Henry because everyone knows how the ladies who have gone before have wound up IIRC.

Here will at least be different. No Break with Rome; yet, at least. No bad relations with the HRE, France, or the rest of Europe. So, his reputation will be vastly different here, and he will be free to marry a Princess of royal Blood.

Please remember, otl King Henry's thing with Anne Boleyn only happened because of a remarkable set of not easily repeatable circumstances. Barren wife who refused to either die or retire to a convent, and suddenly Anne in close proximity.

With KoA dead only two years after Princess Mary's birth, Henry's free to marry whoever he wishes. No King's Great matter, no Divorce, no Break with Rome. The immediate Butterflies are going to be HUGE.

And that's only the beginning...

Here will at least be different. No Break with Rome; yet, at least. No bad relations with the HRE, France, or the rest of Europe. So, his reputation will be vastly different here, and he will be free to marry a Princess of royal Blood.

Please remember, otl King Henry's thing with Anne Boleyn only happened because of a remarkable set of not easily repeatable circumstances. Barren wife who refused to either die or retire to a convent, and suddenly Anne in close proximity.

With KoA dead only two years after Princess Mary's birth, Henry's free to marry whoever he wishes. No King's Great matter, no Divorce, no Break with Rome. The immediate Butterflies are going to be HUGE.

And that's only the beginning...

He will be, but will he want to? And fair warning - I am not a political animal in the way that some of you seem to be. My fanfics (and threads) will be much more focused on the personal and the dynastic than the outer world view, because that's what I'm comfortable writing.

He will be, but will he want to? And fair warning - I am not a political animal in the way that some of you seem to be. My fanfics (and threads) will be much more focused on the personal and the dynastic than the outer world view, because that's what I'm comfortable writing.
I know. I'm just saying things will be vastly different in this TL. So you can marry Henry off to whomever you please. Even Anne Boleyn, if you want to. She\ll be younger too, so maybe better chances at a boy...

I know. I'm just saying things will be vastly different in this TL. So you can marry Henry off to whomever you please. Even Anne Boleyn, if you want to. She\ll be younger too, so maybe better chances at a boy...

I can safely assure you that Anne is not going to be his bride. I have other plans for that girl TTL.