Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Or she may become the OTL Princess Anne in her robust and no nonsense approach to the paparazzi. What is the German for "Naff off"?

I think the First Foot will keep the jackals at bay while she's in transit. I can't imagine the hospital security letting randos wander around the treatment areas. ("Oh, you're here for an orchidectomy? Let me show you to a treatment room.")

I think the First Foot will keep the jackals at bay while she's in transit. I can't imagine the hospital security letting randos wander around the treatment areas. ("Oh, you're here for an orchidectomy? Let me show you to a treatment room.")
And as a added bonus, allows the hospital admin to cut down on all those time wasting cases. You know the "Oh, I feel slightly off, I'm going to the ER and will vocally demand everything".

Reminds me of a quote (I apologize for the bad English, apparently he's a British solider):

lackofgravitas said:
On exercise once a dumbarse managed to put a pickaxe through his leg:eek: as you do :rolleyes:.
So we rolled into folkstone as nearest hospital medics not really up for doing field surgery :rofl:.
Rush in looking like extras from a war movie hand dumb arse over to medics then hang about drinking tea and generally making the place untidy . Till some drunk decides to start giving a nurse a load of abuse, soon finds the light seems to being blocked by large squaddies with rifles not impressed by his behaviour he rapidly decides he's cured and leaves hurridly.
Lt stations a couple of us at the entrance to A and E with bayonets fixed.
Folkstone A and e has the quietest Saturday night for ages :D as about 90% of walk ins see us and decide you know what I'm not that badly hurt:p
NHS manager type was appalled rest of the staff thought it was brilliant and a damm shame we couldnt come back next weekened:D
Dumbarse leg is sewn back up and we go back to the exercise.

Source.

Reminds me of a quote (I apologize for the bad English, apparently he's a British solider):
His style is very colloquial but I wouldn't really call it bad English, I detected only two spelling mistakes and a couple of capitalisation errors. And he doesn't do punctuation. But he told a good anecdote and made me crack a smile!

Part 76, Chapter 1136
Chapter One Thousand One Hundred Thirty-Six

20th June 1955

Berlin

Every Monday and Wednesday Kiki came into the Ward and visited with the patients for a couple of hours. As the Senior Nurse had told her most of them had reached an age where they had survived the loss of a spouse, children or any other loved ones they might have had. Most of them seemed happy that they had someone to talk to and Kiki had heard several times that they had a great granddaughter her age. She had also discovered that age affected people in different ways. Frau Nagler at Ninety-Six years old, having been born in the middle of the last century she had witnessed the momentous events. Her mind was still sharp, but her body had failed her in the end. Herr Blum was twenty years younger than her and he was still physically vigorous, but his mind was completely gone. According to the Nurses who minded the Ward he frequently asked about people who had been dead for decades or about events that had happened a lifetime ago as if they were going to happen next week.

Sometimes she watched television with the patients, the legal and medical dramas that they liked to watch mostly. The Nurses had advised her to make sure that the television was off before the evening news came on because it caused them a great deal of distress. “It’s because we are old enough to see plainly that people are making the same stupid mistakes their forebears did” Frau Nagler said as an explanation.

Kiki liked that here she was just that, Kiki. No one here saw her as anything more than that. It was particularly nice to get nothing but encouraging words when she told the patients that she there as a volunteer because she wanted to join the Medical Service when she was old enough. Probably the best aspect of all this was that Kat had provided her with the documentation to give to the University Administration, it was all under the name Kristina “Kiki” von Fischer and it listed her officially as a Student Volunteer. It was possibly the greatest thing that Kat could have given her.

Then she learned when she came in on a Monday afternoon that Herr Blum had passed away over the weekend and the reality of what she was doing here hit her full force. Kiki knew that Herr Blum had checked out mentally months before his body had, but she had never interacted with someone who had died like that before. It was something that she never forgot.

Mirny, Kakut Region, Siberia

It was supposed to be spring, it didn’t seem to be. Not here anyway, a place where summer never really arrived. The climate was harsh, and one didn’t need to look too far to see that so far in this project where the labor over the winter had come from. A substantial number of prisoners had died already, and it was expected that many more would as they got this operation running. The representative of Czar Georgy had seen the Geologist’s report and the greatest secrecy had been slapped on the entire thing. No one aside the people here and the small circle that made up the Czar’s closest advisors knew about the project. If this panned out, it could solve most of Russia’s fiscal issues in one fell swoop. Or it could go into the pockets of whoever managed the project. Fyodor had been ordered have anyone involved shot if they showed the slightest inclination towards corruption. There would be plenty of wealth to go around but the Czar got the first cut.

“You are certain that this find will be worth greater investment?” Fyodor asked the Geologist as soon as they got into shelter. As they had walked from the vehicles to the project trailers Fyodor had tried to avoid looking at the grey figures that were at the center of so much controversy. It was another one of those things that would require the attitudes of the Russian public to change.

The Geologist unlocked the cabinet and pulled a sample like the one that had been sent to Moscow, most would have seen a plain grey rock. The Geologist had seen it as a telltale of something more valuable buried deeper.

“If you read the report you know this is Kimberlite” The Geologist said, “Which we found on the surface.”

“When the Czar saw your report, he understood the implications” Fyodor said, “That is why he sent me.”

“I see” The Geologist said and then he pulled out a second sample. “This took some doing, explosives and jet engines to get through the permafrost in these conditions.”

The second sample were colorless stones, uncut diamonds. Fyodor could already see the small fortune in front of him. A tiny portion of what was believed to still be below.

Washington D.C.

It had hit the State Department like a ton of bricks dropped from the stratosphere. A former State Department employee had applied for dual citizenship with the intention of joining an organization whose motives and conduct had long been deemed suspect by the CIA, FBI, NSA and most of the rest of the alphabet soup. It was unknown if the National Park Service had tangled with the Agents of the German Federal Foreign Service or the less official Intelligence Service run by the Kaiserin. Considering the events of the prior decade…

When Vice-President Johnson found out he just exploded.

What Princess Kristina is going find that her main responsibilities is to make the patients comfortable, empty the bedpans, change the bed linen, help with the sponge baths , and most of all to listen to them.
She is going to find out the reasons that they have no family around to visit them, some of them have no spouse, children, or grand children because for one reason or another they gave their lives fighting for "Kaiser and Empire", other reasons include they were left behind when their only living relative moved out of the country to work at the Opel factory in South Africa or other such places overseas and could not go with them, and others Kiki is going to find out are so mean, bitter, and toxic that their families can't stand to be around them, as an example son or grandson returns from Korea with a new bride and the patient spews a lot of hatred and garbage that they cut themselves off from them.
Princess Kristina is also going to find out what the Imperial Family means to them, for many the Family served as a symbol of hope and inspiration during the dark days of the Crisis Years (1939-1946) and for the others the Family is nothing but leeches and a drain on the hardworking taxpayers and the Monarchy should be abolished,

Edit: Peabody-Martini made a lot of the same points just before I posted this

Chapter One Thousand One Hundred Thirty-Six

20th June 1955

Then she learned when she came in on a Monday afternoon that Herr Blum had passed away over the weekend and the reality of what she was doing here hit her full force. Kiki knew that Herr Blum had checked out mentally months before his body had, but she had never interacted with someone who had died like that before. It was something that she never forgot.

This will indeed be something that she'll never forget, and it will shape her outlook on life & death henceforth. What kind(s) of lessons she garners from this experience will define her as she gets older.

Washington D.C.

It had hit the State Department like a ton of bricks dropped from the stratosphere. A former State Department employee had applied for dual citizenship with the intention of joining an organization whose motives and conduct had long been deemed suspect by the CIA, FBI, NSA and most of the rest of the alphabet soup. It was unknown if the National Park Service had tangled with the Agents of the German Federal Foreign Service or the less official Intelligence Service run by the Kaiserin. Considering the events of the prior decade…

Oh, boy!! I can hear the sound of many heads exploding!! BANG! BOOM! What a mess!!!

I briefly went into the future... some officious US Governmental nincompoop tells Nancy that the US Government won't allow her to have dual citizenship. Nancy: "You can take your precious American citizenship, fold it until it's all sharp pointies, bend over, and shove it up your a** on the bumper of a snowplow!!" Then storming out, going home & packing!

The US Gov't won't want to mess with her, because she's got German citizenship regardless of what the USA says. If the USA tries to hold her against her will, Kat & Company would quickly gin up a plan to help Nancy escape the USA into Canada and then on to Deutschland. Once out of the USA, any American attempts to f**k with her would be a MAJOR diplomatic blunder by the Powers That Be in the USA. A Member of the Order of Louise? A confidant of the Kaiserin? OY!!! The US doesn't want a Casus Belli with Germany!!

The USA, if anyone in charge has any intelligence at all, will tell people in the alphabet agencies to back off, shut up, sit the [ahem] down, write a critique of their actions (or lack thereof), and proposed remedies including their own retraining or termination (without 'extreme prejudice').

His style is very colloquial but I wouldn't really call it bad English, I detected only two spelling mistakes and a couple of capitalisation errors. And he doesn't do punctuation. But he told a good anecdote and made me crack a smile!
He's infamous on SB for his lack of punctuation. In fact, I've seen people start asking if he's okay when he capitalizes and uses proper punctuation.

On a side note, there's an entire thread for collecting his crazy stories.

Frau Nagler at Ninety-Six years old, having been born in the middle of the last century she had witnessed the momentous events. Her mind was still sharp, but her body had failed her in the end.

My great-grandmother ended up being like that. Her family fled Ireland after the Easter Rising, since they were convinced that the UK was going to deal with it in their normal, tender fashion. Sharp until the end, though and could tell you all about it.

Well my heart goes out to Kiki, watching the toll Alzheimer's takes isn't easy, hell, it broke me in ways that can never be fixed.

But I can tell she is going to come out of this stronger for it, she is one of those people that when they land in the shit know to start digging.

For those who don't know about the Mirny diamond mine, where Fyodor was in the last post right when this was getting started...

The Mir mine in Mirny in Yakutia in eastern Siberia.jpg

Washington D.C.

Johnson it's just putting BOTH legs in his mouth by not asking Truman beforehand, no?

This holds all the hallmarks of a diplomatic and political fiasco that ends ruining Presidential Races.......

Johnson it's just putting BOTH legs in his mouth by not asking Truman beforehand, no?

This holds all the hallmarks of a diplomatic and political fiasco that ends ruining Presidential Races.......
Johnson IOTL when he got calmed down and told what the smart play was he would see the wisdom in it and then take credit for it.
The solution is basically simple, Nancy becomes a back channel contact that Presidents have used before and will again with very many different people and countries.
The CIA if they are on the ball will have been keeping a loose tab on her and find that Nancy at her time at VW has become something of a marketing miracle worker and that is why see was tapped for the Order.
One of the reasons for everybody thinking that the Order (What a great name for a shadow organization in bad spy books) is the Empress' private spy agency is that the activities of the Order has not been properly publicized and Nancy's job is going to be to fix that image.
Nancy with the full permission of the Empress will give a full and complete briefing to the State Department on what really the Order has been doing (except for the "Yosemite Incident") and that should put everybody's mind at eases.
Nancy will with a straight face tell the State Department that there are no spies just people gathering information so that the Empress is fully informed on current events and the Order is not the Empress' political arm it just happens that the women who have been selected for the Order are patriotic citizens who just wants what is best for Germany, and it will be in the best interest of the United States to believe that.

The CIA if they are on the ball will have been keeping a loose tab on her and find that Nancy at her time at VW has become something of a marketing miracle worker and that is why see was tapped for the Order.
CIA? On the ball? I'm seeing words, but when put together, just come out as gibberish.

The solution is basically simple, Nancy becomes a back channel contact that Presidents have used before and will again with very many different people and countries.

A living Red Phone so to speak. Also, you use the case of Nancy Jensen to clean up your own country's intelligence and foreign service woes. Regardless of the treason/betrayal/espionage side, you can either be stupid and go after one vengeful and fairly sympathetic figure as an example...or you can learn from the mistakes and get your own house in far better order so actual SPIES are the ones that get burned (like Shultz or Martzel) rather than the sorts of quasi-double agents who are far more useful to your side than the other.

Nancy held back, but even what she gave the US as a back channel and etc... was far more valuable than the holdback benefit to the German Empire. Perhaps that could have been different 20 years down the line, perhaps not.

The problem with American Foreign Policy stems from the election of John Nance "Cactus Jack" Garner who only saw the world from his front porch in Uvalde, Texas and kept the United States out of the Second World War, the fact that he was happy to sell to anybody with the cash to buy it blackened the reputation of the United States in the eyes of the world.
President Dewey while he had the right instincts, had the wrong people in charge with John Foster Dulles as his Secretary of State and his brother Allen Dulles in charge of the OSS.
Their policy of confronting Germany unnecessary in the Pacific after they regained the island territories they lost to Japan showed how the United States was not a real player on the world's stage.
Their policy of trying to replace governments in South America with Pro-American governments crashed and burned on its first try did nothing to help the perception of the United States.
If only the choice of FDR to replace him became President, Cordell Hill would the United States be respected.

Johnson IOTL when he got calmed down and told what the smart play was he would see the wisdom in it and then take credit for it.
The problem is that few would trust Nancy, considering her suspicious past. Now, we know it's not the case, but no self-respecting, half-way competent Intelligence Agency (nor the CIA) would risk being burned with a probable double agent (again, they don't have our advantage of, you know, actually knowing). And the President only actually met Nancy once or twice. Yes, she made a good impression, but that wouldn't outweigh the suspicion that anything she says could be a misinformation, or contain just enough truth to give them more rope. The USA was screwed too many times by German Intelligence in the TTL XXth century equivalent of the Great Game for them not to take anything from that direction without a metric fuckton of salt.
One of the reasons for everybody thinking that the Order (What a great name for a shadow organization in bad spy books) is the Empress' private spy agency is that the activities of the Order has not been properly publicized and Nancy's job is going to be to fix that image.
Nancy with the full permission of the Empress will give a full and complete briefing to the State Department on what really the Order has been doing (except for the "Yosemite Incident") and that should put everybody's mind at eases.
And who would believe an organisation suspected of spying telling you that they're not actually spying, honest?