Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

I've noticed that what they meant by 'Near East' for creating the Empire of Outremer is Jerusalem, Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Syria, and the two small kingdoms Al Jaziria and Iraq that are usually part of some Muslim super-empire.

Since the formation status only said 'Near East', and not what specifically was needed land wise I assumed it was just Jerusalem, Syria, and Egypt.

Now I realized I effed up and going back on my saves at this point is too much of a hassle due to calling that Crusade on Arabia and giving the land to a daughter. So I created a custom Empire from Jerusalem and I'm hating every minute of it.

Maybe if they were more specific about what was required rather than use a vague geographic term that could literally mean anything I wouldn't be in this mess.

I've noticed that what they meant by 'Near East' for creating the Empire of Outremer is Jerusalem, Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Syria, and the two small kingdoms Al Jaziria and Iraq that are usually part of some Muslim super-empire.

Since the formation status only said 'Near East', and not what specifically was needed land wise I assumed it was just Jerusalem, Syria, and Egypt.

Now I realized I effed up and going back on my saves at this point is too much of a hassle due to calling that Crusade on Arabia and giving the land to a daughter. So I created a custom Empire from Jerusalem and I'm hating every minute of it.

Maybe if they were more specific about what was required rather than use a vague geographic term that could literally mean anything I wouldn't be in this mess.
You can search for regions with the "Find Title or Region" function and it'll get outlined, but considering how long it took me to find that...

Desperately trying to antagonzie the Emperor and the electors so they don't make me his heir.

How do I excommunicate myself?

Back in 2013-2014, I played a game as a custom dynasty of Slavic pagans (using the Ruler Designer DLC) called the 'Moronovs' and created the Empire of Russia sometime in the late 900s and reformed the Slavic faith around the same time. Throughout the course of the game, I blobbed my way into Central Europe and down into Anatolia (and most of the Italian peninsula). I ate the ERE's core territories and reduced them to a rump state in Croatia, as well as blobbing as far west as Holstein. France never formed and remained a complex patchworks of minor duchies and counties and a rump Kingdom of Aquitaine. The ERE never formed either and left Central Europe in a similar state, though the Kingdom of Germany formed at some point. Catholicism dissolved into a clusterfuck of heresies as a result of my constant holy wars and the general disorganised state of Christian Europe. Eastern Orthodoxy went extinct, save for the rump ERE in Croatia, which ultimately converted to Catholicism (ruled by the Karlings of all dynasties :eek:) Some really strange things happened, like my Russia (briefly) having a Mande cultured Tsar (from various marriage-related shenanigans), the Timurids consuming the entire Arabian peninsula, but losing their territories in Persia, to a splinter hordes and the Norse Kingdom of England. I gave almost all the children born to my dynasty cloud names (Altocumulus, Cirrostratus, Cumulonimbus, etc.). Oh yeah, I did this playthrough with the Sunset Invasion DLC activated, just for fun. The Aztec invasion kind of petered out and by the end date, they only held onto a handful of territory in Iberia, Cornwall and part of Ireland.

Then I ported the game to EU IV...

Since my Russia was the undisputed power in Europe, I had little competition, resulting in a fairly dull game. The only serious rivals I had were the Timurids in Arabia, the Azayids in Persia and the Western-teched Aztec and Incan empires. Since North America was populated entirely by Western-teched Native American states, it remained (largely) uncolonized. The Aztecs and Incans fought a series of wars, which resulted in the Aztecs being reduced to a handful of provinces in central Mexico and the Brazilian coast. The victorious Incan Empire was fucking huge; it spanned from the base of South America to Alaska. I never bothered fighting them since they were on the other side of the world and had a navy I could never hope to match.

That's the only complete grand campaign I've ever done, and I had to dig through my CK II and EU IV screenshots to recall the details, but I thought it was worth sharing here.

Last edited:
Desperately trying to antagonzie the Emperor and the electors so they don't make me his heir.

To excommunicate yourself, attacking the pope is an easy way. Just fabricate a claim on his land and declare war.

Of course, you can always just cheat unless it's ironman.

A little update on my Godfrey of Jerusalem run.

Emperor Eudes I 'the Bear' of Jerusalem suffered in the last years of his life, his relationship with his wife fell apart when he fell in love with an Italian courtier with whom he had two bastard boys, one of whom he legitimized due to having the strong trait.

The Pope Silvester IV unexpectedly excommunicated the Emperor despite having a 100+ opinion of him, it took several years to get it lifted since the first demand involved a humiliating trip to Rome, which I refused. While my vassals stayed loyal, the Knights Hospitaller/Knights of Sardinia however abandoned me. So after I managed to negotiate the Pope the next go-around to a large donation, I vassalized the Knights Templar.

Then Eudes developed infirmaries that led to incapacity and a regency led by his son until he died in his late sixties.

The Imperial Crown was inherited by Eudes eldest (and only trueborn) son Charles, and Charles has less impressive stats, but isn't the worst. He immediately ahd to come to his sister's defense from a Sunni Jihad, and faced an invasion from the remnants of the Shia Caliphate, whom after losing Egypt have lost much of their North African/Ethiopian lands to various invaders and adventurers, basically everything beyond my borders is a freaking MESS, and a small peasant revolt.

I dealt with the peasants and the Shia first, I dueled and killed the Peasant Warlord and sent his successor into the Teutonic Order, then I led my forces eastward to Arabia, which was starting to lose. However I first send my forces to the Caliphate's capital region in Iraq and seized it to turn the warscore around, then I sent forces into Arabia and waged a two year campaign that saw the Sunni Jihad fail.

Currently I'm rebuilding my finances, and got caught having a would-be adventuruer to my lands murdered.

BUT during this the new Pope Silvester V decided to fast-track Eudes I into Sainthood (I presume due to having no negative traits and INSANE levels of Piety in his lifetime due to fending off Jihad, winning a Crusade, building churches, spreading Catholicism across the Empire, and several donations to various Holy Orders, also allowing one of his grandsons to become a monk), now I have four bloodlines from two men, one a King, one an Emperor, both of them are now Saints.

Charles's eldest son Prince Eudes recently had a boy of his own, named Prince Charles, so I've got a nice pattern going of Eudes and Charles that I'll stick with for now.

Started a Jerusalem game as Jean de Brienne in 1210-ish. During his lifetime recovered the Jerusalemite hinterland in a crusade (and got tons of gold for mercs) and followed up the crusade by grabbing Damascus. Died of cancer and left the realm to an underage kid, Baudouin VI.

Baudouin has cycled through three epithets. First he got ''the Lewd'' (during his childhood he was the only living member of House de Brienne, so I went seduction to spam out some kids), then ''the Lionheart'' (defended against a jihad), and then ''the Architect'' (acquired a bloodline by building 10 cities). He's also reached the top rank of the Hermetic Society, and was briefly imprisoned in Russia when he was caught trying to steal/trash some other guy's research.

Realm has expanded to include most of Syria, a couple of Egyptian duchies (Sinai+Damietta), and to form a custom Jerusalemite Empire that has a terrible colour. He also sponsored the mass conversion of some random Baltic pagan. A bastard son was also installed in Thrace through a crusade (Thrace is a terrible crusade target).

Elsewise...
  • The Empire of Nicaea was eviscerated by a jihad for Anatolia and now exists solely in the Wallachia/Moldava area.
  • The other Byzantine successor state, Trebizond, is doing alright because it inherited Georgia.
  • The Abyssinians took advantage of me beating up the Ayyubids to actually win some Holy Wars.
  • Frederick II wasn't exactly stupor mundi here, he died young and left Sicily to an infant girl. The Welfs held the empire for a while, but now someone else has it.
  • An Empire-level Muslim entity in Spain (Almohads?) has vassalised the Christian kingdom of Castile (which also nabbed the Duchy of Gascogny through inheritance).
  • Italy was liberated by peasant revolt.

This is what happens when you shower the Pope with money coming from your merchant republic shenanigans.

The King of Jerusalem is the OG Oberto Grimaldi's second son. I wonder how long will he last next to the Fatimid blob.

363XTJ9.jpg

This, on the other hand, is what happens when you put the crusade money to good use.

eahwNBT.jpg

Last edited:
Still playing as Mursalin the Great in my Zunist Shattered World game. The first Shahanshah of the Zuhaid Persian Empire and the fifth Dastur of the Church of Zun, he has also officially become the head of the Keepers of the Flame society. Needless to say, he's one of the best fighters around. A shame I can't build a legend with him but less than a hundred years have passed since his great grandfather Banham the Great Tiger built his own.

I'm nearly finished with the conquests of what remains of the de-jure Persian Empire. I'm basically missing only three or four counties. The issue is that they're all owned by the Jain King of Armenia. By the way, I still don't know how the fuck Armenia became Jain... The first of its King, Dharmiya the Great, was descended from an Indian ruler and given how I turned adventurer of, I still don't get how it came to be...

Aside from conquering what he's missing of de-jure Persia, Mursalin the Great has been busy crushing religious revolts. I'd have to check, but I probably had half of dozen of them happen: one from Nestorians or Messalians in Iraq, another from Sunnis (also in Iraq), two Zoroastrian ones and two Hindu ones. They've all been crushed: you don't fuck with Mursalin the Great, especially when you know he's got 30k troops and a proven battle commander.

Aside from that, I find the Keepers of the Flame give me strange targets at times. Might be because they're not where I'm looking to expand though... I mean, the current one I've got is in India but for the moment I'm more looking West as I want to invade/puppetize Egypt to be in control of the last Zunist Holy Sites in Heliopolis.

Anyway, one of the targets I got with Mursalin was to conquer Raffah from the Uwaysid Caliph... Basically, the Sunni Mirzids ruler of Arabia were overthrown after a Shia Caliph challenged them. He subsequently took over Arabia, while the Mirzids have basically been reduced to a three provinces rump Kingdom in Yemen (whose capital is, only enough, in the horn of Africa...).
The war with the Uwaysids was more long than a true difficulty as I had twice their troops. Attrition was tough though, especially since Raffah is still a tribal holding. Not helping was that the Nestorian/Messalian and Sunni revolts in Iraq kicked off at the same time I fought the Uwaysids.

Anyway, after the conquest of Raffah, I got a notice that Islam now could launch Jihads. My first thought was "uh oh, better watch out for that". And not too long after, the Uwaysid Caliph declared a Jihad for Iraq. The war lasted a rather long time, but I probably have the biggest army around so it didn't prove too much of a difficulty. Hell, I was basically waiting for the AI to be movement locked in Basra before attacking them there. Needles to say, it was a rather easy win. Even the Knights of the Sun that joined me didn't have to do much...

I got a ton of money from the Caliph after the war... Not that I really need it since I'm basically swimming in money thanks to the Silk Road. Hell, I've been building Castles and Cities lately.

The good news though comes from the succession. The Elders FINALLY agree on a name for Mursalin's successor and they're nearly unanimous. Yasmoon, Mursalin's eldest daughter and heiress, had never really was approved by the Elders even if they couldn't agree on a replacement (she never got more than two votes (her father and one Elder) but each all the other Elder had basically their own candidate for the throne) and she ended up dying at the age of 31. At the time though, Mursalin's only son Soban was 14... And he's been adored by the Elders. Now in his twenties, Soban is basically every bit the Warrior his father is. And personnality wise, he kind of rocks: he's brave, brawny and sociable. The latter makes me laugh though because he's also Paranoid and Cruel... Those two things normally don't go together. Soban is also in the Keepers of the Flame and he's already rank 2. And the Elders love him: only one of them refuses his ascension to the throne... But then again, he's Mursalin's Rival so it's no surprise.

Family wise, Mursalin has also lost two of his wives lately. At this point, I'm not really worried about my dynasty as even though Mursalin only has one son, the Zuhaids are a pretty large and prosperous family (The Great Tiger has over a hundred descendants). Plus, Mursalin now has the Chaste trait, so I'm not expecting him to father any more babies. Still, to not loose prestige because he would have less than four wives (not that it would change much given I'm Emperor of Persia, but also King of all the Kingdoms that make that Empire as well as King of Transoxiana and Punjab), I decided to remarry him. And I also got to remind everyone that yes, I have Divine Marriage in my reformed Zunism.

You see, the first of the two new wives Mursalin got is his third daughter. She's in her thirties, but recently lost her husband. Roleplay wise, I kind of imagine Mursalin chose to marry her so she wouldn't lose her status... Plus tradition. After all, Mursalin is chaste so I don't imagine he's gonna make babies with her for now.
The second wife Mursalin took is the daughter of his uncle Wamiq. It's only his 1st Cousin but that still counts as a Divine Marriage because same dynasty.

In regards to what's happening in the outside world:
  • The first Catholic Crusade had gone for Italy because of heresies and had succeeded in establishing a Crusader Kingdom there. It's still around though it's not that big. The second Crusade's target was Middle Francia... More precisely Lower Lorraine. It was once again a success... But this time, the Pope got all the lands. Funny enough, the current Pope's name (the one who won the crusade) is Victor...
  • Nearly all of what forms the de-jure Empire of Abyssinia is in the hands of the Knights of Saint Anthony. That's... kinda worrying for me. I mean, they're the coptic holy order so if I attack the Coptic King of Egypt one day...
  • The biggest realms seems to be all my neighbors... Aside from Jain Armenia to my North-West and the Shia Caliphs of Arabia to my South, the province I'm asked to attack belongs to a Maharajah in India that basically owns a territory that cuts India through the Middle. I also have a rather large Kingdom of Nepal on my Eastern border. And though they're a bit more distant, Egypt and Greece are also pretty large realms.

Dumb question, but why would it be bad for you to become HRE?

In the end, Grimaldi rule over Jerusalem didn't last - the kingdom was conquered by the Seljuks not long afterwards, and King Oberto fled back to Genoa, where he was granted the vassal republic of Sardinia. Not even my support of the Children's Crusade, led by a Zähringen kid, could bring Jerusalem back into the Grimaldi fold, so I decided to take advantage of the crusade against Pomerania to get rid of my nephew, since I cucked him and he didn't like it at all.

NxtBwyj.jpg

Oh by the way, the new king of Jerusalem is a genius with 30 Martial, and has conquered the entire coast of the Levant, while the succession crises in the English-Norwegian union tore England apart - Northern England and Wales are now ruled by the Welsh King of Brythoniaid, East Anglia and Wessex are an independent duchy, while Cornwall is still under Norwegian rule. Queen Åse Yngling only rules over the far south of Great Britain.

Dumb question, but why would it be bad for you to become HRE?
1) My vassals would become direct imperial vassals of the emperor
2) My kingdom succession law is gavelkind so it would split the imperial and king titles between my sons
3) Factions

So I bought the game while it was on sale and doing the learning scenario in Leon. Would anyone care to offer some advice?