Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

Wet and Wild show the impact of the construction of an artificial body of water (hydroelectric, canals, resevoirs, moats, etc.)

At the moment we only have one entry for MotF 188 - is anyone else currently working on one? I will most likely be extending this round by a week in either case.

Announcement time!

First, as we only have two entries so far, MotF 188 has been extended until Sunday, December 9th.

Second, Map of the Month 6 - By Any Other Pen is now open, and will run until January 6th of the new year. (Yes, this will be concurrent with the extension for MotF 188.) This is the "cover round" which was discussed earlier this year - part of the reason for the longer entry period (besides the winter holidays) is that you must contact the original creator and get their permission before starting on a map!

If you are looking for inspiration, Map Thread XVIII and its predecessors are one place to start. You could look at previous rounds of this contest, listed on the wiki. @B_Munro has a thread with a selection of winning or noteworthy maps. Or there are Turtledove Award nominees from 2018 or earlier.

So what's MotF 189 gonna be?

I presume that will be decided after the Map of the Month 6: By Any Other Pen contest concludes.

It's not too early to toss some ideas out there, though!

Speaking of which, there will be an entry soon for that, the map is essentially finished, just leaving some additional work on the write-up.

Yes, I believe there are a couple of entries in progress.

Also while I'm at it, congratulations to @Zorqal for winning MotF 188 with a very fine map of the United Arab Republic!

Some ideas for MotF 189:

To the strongest - Depict the aftermath of a disputed succession / succession crisis
La Serenissima - Depict a maritime / mercantile power
Pluricontinentalismo - Depict a unitary state or federation whose territory spans multiple continents

Some ideas for MotF 189:

To the strongest - Depict the aftermath of a disputed succession / succession crisis
La Serenissima - Depict a maritime / mercantile power
Pluricontinentalismo - Depict a unitary state or federation whose territory spans multiple continents

I like Pluricontinentalismo

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Are there ever "Map of the Month" contests? I'm a slow worker so two weeks is never enough for me. :)