Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
dctbsdq-5aa67367-427f-48e2-9843-949c5184664a.jpg

The next one
These are great, it does make me wish that I could explore and record the traditions of the peoples of the time

Also please no one call me islamophobic again because Bosnia and Kosovo aren't there, it's just the mod.
Why would anyone call you islamophobic just because you 1) created a map of a fictional universe 2) whose scenario you didnt even make, so basically for which you dont have any responsibility for

What is this border between Luisiana and Florida? Also, this basemap sucks in terms of the coastline here in Louisiana. It pretty much erases Terrebonne Parish off the map, which won't bother anyone besides the 150 000 or so people who live down there, but they're fine. But what it this weird river/inlet thing next to New Orleans? That somehow crosses over the Mississippi?

@Drex , I am thinking of starting such a collaborative Maps and Graphics based timeline, too... may I use the German part of your lovely "1898 - Fashoda escalates" map? I just mean the German part, i.e. the balkanised Germany with its German Union.

EDIT: If I may, could you name all the nations of Germany? I might change some things within Germany, too.

Last edited:
Why would anyone call you islamophobic just because you 1) created a map of a fictional universe 2) whose scenario you didnt even make, so basically for which you dont have any responsibility for

A few ages back someone was suspicious that several of his maps seemed to conspicuously lack Bosnia (and I guess Kosovo, though I don't know why that would make anyone squint considering Kosovo isn't even a recognised nation to begin with) without seeming to realise he was basing them off of HOI mods.

What is this border between Luisiana and Florida? Also, this basemap sucks in terms of the coastline here in Louisiana. It pretty much erases Terrebonne Parish off the map, which won't bother anyone besides the 150 000 or so people who live down there, but they're fine. But what it this weird river/inlet thing next to New Orleans? That somehow crosses over the Mississippi?

Hey, thanks for feedback!

- What in particular is the issue with the border? Do you mean why does Florida control New Orleans? No definite answer other than loose historical claims and simply wanting it in the setting.

- Thank you for letting me know! However, I'm not sure how Terrebone Parish is erased from the map. Could you perhaps be more specific as to what's wrong with Terrebone Parish, because from what I can tell it hasn't been left out.

- I take it the inlet you have issue with is the one immediately to the East of New Orleans on the map? Upon doing a double check, wow it seems I somehow outlined the river itself, but then connected it to the coast. Definitely will need to fix that! EDIT: The most recent iteration now shows this fixed.

Last edited:
I am thinking of starting such a collaborative Maps and Graphics based timeline, too... may I use the German part of your lovely "1898 - Fashoda escalates" map? I just mean the German part, i.e. the balkanised Germany with its German Union.

EDIT: If I may, could you name all the nations of Germany? I might change some things within Germany, too.
Sure. Names ain't even necessary, you can guess them easily, I changed none.

Sure. Names ain't even necessary, you can guess them easily, I changed none.

Thanks! May I, possibly, use some further parts of your map in Europe? I don't know exactly what I might use yet, but for example, I love your internal divisions of France and your Hungaro-Romanian borders!

Thanks! May I, possibly, use some further parts of your map in Europe? I don't know exactly what I might use yet, but for example, I love your internal divisions of France and your Hungaro-Romanian borders!
Sure. But next time you want something, send me a message insted of quoting me on this thread.

Vuu

Banned
A follow up to the previous

After the restoration abolition of the federal system, Serbia was divided into geographically-based regions (области). As of 2018, there are 30 regions. It should be noted that the Strumica area, technically loaned to Serbia after WW1, was permanently acquired via a 20 billion euro (the euro was created similar to OTL, but is a little weaker than OTL) purchase in 2016 (I heard something that Strumica will be ceded to Bulgaria next year, the 100 year period is up, might not be true tho). According to 2017 census, there are 30.532.000 inhabitants (Though WW2 was bloodier and longer, the regime started a pro-birth campaign almost immediately and never stopped - SFRY had about 23 million in 1991, Serbia 26 in 1997 TTL), with one of the highest birth rates in Europe, the average family having a very high (for Europe) 4 children, helped by the natalist policies practiced continously for almost 70 years, and extremely favorable laws towards mothers, even if the majority of women are unemployed - the effect being that the average wage in Serbia is deceptively high, due to one parent having to take care of their spouse and children by themselves. Serbia, Ireland, Finland and Albania are the only countries with a birth rate above replacement rate.

The autarkic system of the isolation period adapted extremely well to the market economy - because the regime encouraged competition between the innumerable companies. When the country opened up, a flood of cheap but rather high quality, if slightly obsolete products "invaded" Europe. The switch to a full market economy never occurred though - Serbia, along with Russia and China among others, has a mixed economy, with a skyrocketing share of private enterprise. This proven to be a wise idea - Pashtunia suffered ruin after a sudden shift to a full market economy, and they still haven't recovered. Serbia has the 10th highest nominal GDP in Europe - 530000 million dollars (a little bigger than OTL Poland), and the HDI of 0,860 (a lil' higher than OTL Andorra). Citizens are described as extremely happy and satisfied.

Interestingly enough, it has been revealed that most infrastructure that was constructed in a manner that didn't make much sense in the federal system now fits in perfectly into the new one, suggesting that this was planned a long time before even becoming official...

10 biggest cities:
1. Belgrade (capital) - 2.140.000 - almost unrecognizable compared to OTL - the entire city was completely destroyed in the war, and the rebuilding was total. Much greener.
2. Bitolj - 1.850.000 - described as somewhat otherworldly and strange due to it's unusual architecture, a mixture of styles, the handiwork of the rather eccentric planners and architects in the period 1965-1976. The clash between the center, a rather faithful recreation of the old style, the newer additions with strange buildings and the newest ones with often kitschy, tacky apartments is somewhat not unlike Belgrade OTL. The most famous building is the city council building, described as "a mixture of a ziggurat, Neuschwanstein and the Parthenon".
3. Niš - 1.340.000 - described as "neoclassical" and "neobyzantine".
4. Skoplje - 1.057.200 - the earthquake happened as OTL, and it's even more brutalist than OTL.
5. Split - 870.000 - Serbia's principal seaport.
6. Dimitrovica - 535.000 - All the ore from the region is processed here, so the city is pretty polluted, countered by an overkill amount of parks and forests, resulting in a rather spread out city. Fierce rivalry with Priština, which was deliberately depopulated, and now they know why.
8. Mostar - 483.000 - Apart from Dubrovnik, pretty much the only larger city in the region. Split in 4 - The lower left city, upper left city, lower right city and upper right city, depending on whether or not they are in the narrow canyon of the Neretva or the plateau around it, and what side of the river they're on.
9. Zagreb - 289.000 - very, VERY strange to see all the Croat checkerboard flags wielded by folks doing the 3-finger salute every time the victory parade is going on.
10. Rovinj - 230.700 - Serbia's 2nd most important port. For some reason stereotyped as having unhealthily thin, stunted women, apparently something regarding the Italians in the area.

As you can see, just in the 10 biggest cities there are 8.794.900 people - more than all of Serbia OTL! Nevertheless, as you can see the cities get suddenly much smaller, and 57% of the population is rural. Many cities as you can see are much smaller TTL as they're not even on the list.

Map of Serbia, with regions (regions are named after their capital):
sr2.png

1. Varaždin region
2. Ljubljana region
3. Rovinj region
4. Virovitica region
5. Zagreb region
6. Petrovgrad (Zrenjanin) region
7. Bač region
8. Pakrac region
9. Karlovac region
10. Banja Luka region
11. Doboj region
12. Loznica region
13. Krupa region
14. Belgrade region
15. Petrovac region
16. Zaječar region
17. Split region
18. Lapovo region
19. Vrhbosna (Sarajevo) region
20. Mostar region
21. Kraljevo region
22. Pljevlja region
23. Niš region
24. Dimitrovica (Mitrovica) region
25. Danilovgrad region
26. Orahovac region
27. Vranje region
28. Skoplje region
29. Štip region
30. Bitolj region

Deleted member 101966

I’ve been trying forever to make a map like this with the geographic overlays, but I can never quite figure out how. What program did you use to make this? It’s quite good!

More importantly I suppose: where’d you get that basemap?

Welcome to the wonderful world of using QGIS for fictional cartography. I generate the base myself using data from multiple free sources, so in addition to being able to arbitrarily pick any projection to display it in, I can customize the exact details of all the hillshades and tints.

unknown.png

Once again, based off a Civ VI game I played recently.

77U2MSx.png

The year is 1914.

The Roman Empire is the bastion of culture and science in the world. Covering two continents, the Roman Empire is relatively small compared to the rest of the world. The empire can be roughly divided between two sections: Roma Antiqua and Nova Roma.

Roma Antiqua is the provinces of Italia and Iberia. Italia is the governmental capital. Iberia is the cultural and scientific center of both the Empire and the World at large. This also includes the Roman vassal of Carthage.

Nova Roma is the provinces of Novum Italia and Terra Trajan. Novum Italia is an agricultural province, the Empire's breadbasket. Terra Trajan is the center of the production of Roman Gems and jewelry. This also includes the Roman Vassal of Canada, based out of their capital of Toronto.

Welcome to the wonderful world of using QGIS for fictional cartography. I generate the base myself using data from multiple free sources, so in addition to being able to arbitrarily pick any projection to display it in, I can customize the exact details of all the hillshades and tints.

unknown.png

Thanks! I was looking into ArcGIS the other day, I will definitely give this a shot

Bohemia and Moravia got very well germanized during the late middle ages/ early new ages, so that 70 to 75% of the Bohemian and Moravian population is German-speaking in 1900.
The Czech-speaking population are very sporadic and widely scattered all over these two lands. The highest concentrations of widely Czech-speaking people is around and in Tabor as well as in central Moravia between Brünn and Olmütz.

The fact, Bohemia and Moravia are mostly German-speaking didn`t change history really much until WWI.
After the Great War, which was lost by Austria-Hungary, Austria could - of course - hold Bohemia and Moravia, plus South Tyrol and some land around Marburg an der Drau (that became the northern borderlands of Yugoslavia/Slovenia in OTL).
Austria had to give the Olsa Area (Zalozie) east and southeast of Ostrau to Poland, due its Polish-speaking majority.

The annexation of Austria by Nazi Germany was pretty much like in OTL.

After the second world war, the allies decided to apart Germany area into three parts: The Federal Republic of Germany in the west, being a western ally, The German Democratic Republic in the east, being part of the Warsaw Pact, and some "South German" state, formed by Austria and the southwestern states of former Germany: Baden, Württemberg, Hohenzollern and Bavaria without its Rhenish district (the Palatinate).
This Federal Republic of South Germany was build as a totally neutral country ("as neutral as Switzerland") and a re-unification with one or both of the other German countries was declared as absolutely forbidden.
Bavaria got split into an own state of Franconia, Upper Swabia and Old Bavaria, now called Baiern (instead of Bayern).
Württemberg, Hohenzollern and Upper Swabia got unified to the new state of Swabia with its capital Ulm. (Ulm on the other hand got re-unificated from former Württembergian Ulm and Bavarian Neu-Ulm)
Upper- and Lower Austria, Vienna, plus the northeastern part of Salzburg state formed the state of Old Austria now, Styria, Carinthia and the southeastern part of Salzburg state formed Styria-Carinthia and Tyrol, Vorarlberg and the western rest of Salzburg state formed the state of the Alps now.

The new country had to get a capital and since there was no decision between Munich, Vienna and Prague, the allies said, as a compromise, Linz should be the capital. As some sort of another compromise some parts of the government have been located to Munich, Vienna and one to Prague. But the most and the most important ones should be in Linz. Also Linz should be an own federal state.
So Linz got lots of incorporations of surrounding municipalities and towns into the new city of Linz before making it to an own state.
The population of Linz grew really quickly through the 50s and 60s. In 1990, the city had a population of 800.000.

After the re-unification of West- and East Germany (into the Federal Republic of North Germany), public debattes and discussions were popping up, if there should be a "big re-unification" with North Germany as well or not.
The government didn`t really like these debattes. They wanted to keep the "everlasting neutrality" and feared the consequences of breaking the forbiddance of a re-unification with the north.
But the debattes have never really stopped and are still a topic from time to time.

20181203  Bundesrepublik Süddeutschland.png

Status
Not open for further replies.