The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

I use the suck and even I accept that I shouldn't be catered to.

In fact: compromise. We have a version with all the lakes, and a version without them.
Where exactly does that stop though? Does said map include Lake Baikal, even though it is a decidedly “pelagic” lake? Great Lakes? Caspian? What’s the definition of a lake?

Here's some China patches I made:

1913 1914 1916 1917
View attachment 423254View attachment 423255View attachment 423256View attachment 423257

Notes:

- All of these assume that the date is January 1 of that year. If the 1914 patch took place at the date Franz Ferdinand was assassinated Uriankhai would be Russian protectorate.
- We really need a 1900 map, which would make a 1912 map actually feasible to make.
- I'm not really sure what all of that stuff in southern China is? I can't find any French are British concessions in the very broad areas shown.
- These overwrite my earlier 1914 fix.

Excellent maps.

Regarding inner mongolia though, I think it was brought up before but I don't recall ever reading about actual Mongolian occupation of inner Mongolia from 1914-1916.

In southern china those aren't French or British concessions but areas of influence which if I remember rightly was derived from a number of other historical maps (physical and internet based).

upload_2018-11-29_16-24-47.png

East Anglia really doesn't look right on this. Are you sure it's correct?

It seems like you've changed the projection of Britain and Britain alone. I'm pretty sure the WorldA uses the Robinson Projection - what projection did you base your Britain on?
The WorldA does not use any projection* (but it's closer to Kavrayskiy VII than anything else). As such I'm unaware of what projection Britain is based on. I must reiterate that it's not my creation but rather @KapiTod's, so any questions on that should be directed towards him. I prefer his version of the British Isles because it's slightly larger than the previous depiction (allowing for more room to draw borders) and more aesthetically pleasing (in my opinion), but if it's inaccurate then by all means it should be replaced.

*I for one will be switching to the 2K-BAM as soon as it's available, as in my opinion it's vastly superior to the WorldA.

KapiTod

Banned
It seems like you've changed the projection of Britain and Britain alone. I'm pretty sure the WorldA uses the Robinson Projection - what projection did you base your Britain on?

Hi, it's me, Kapi.

I also edited Ireland, which most people won't realise because Ireland is just Britain's thing in most worlda's and won't get any attention. I changed Britain and Ireland because as FancyHat said making them larger makes them easier to work with.

Hi, it's me, Kapi.

I also edited Ireland, which most people won't realise because Ireland is just Britain's thing in most worlda's and won't get any attention. I changed Britain and Ireland because as FancyHat said making them larger makes them easier to work with.

The WorldA is supposed to accurate to scale, hence why it follows a specific projection.

KapiTod

Banned
In any case, making Britain bigger and out of sync with the rest of the basemap doesn't make any sense.

If the map isn't accurate to scale already what's wrong with making a region easier to work with? What's the point of accuracy when we're already using an inaccurate format?

Or if we can cut to the chase- I don't care if other people use my Britain and Ireland and I didn't put them out here for public consumption anyway, however I'm not going to spend today having a pedantic arguement about the nature of accuracy in worlda maps.

It doesn't make sense because Worlda is supposed to maintain parallels (or at least that's what everyone says). If you make Britain larger, then the parallels wouldn't match anymore.

If the map isn't accurate to scale already what's wrong with making a region easier to work with? What's the point of accuracy when we're already using an inaccurate format?

Or if we can cut to the chase- I don't care if other people use my Britain and Ireland and I didn't put them out here for public consumption anyway, however I'm not going to spend today having a pedantic arguement about the nature of accuracy in worlda maps.

This thread is for the standardised map series as made my hadaril. Other contributions are designed to enhance that series on his behalf. By posting it here as an improvement, you've implied that it's for standardised use, and now the argument has arisen because it doesn't make sense for standardised use because it isn't in keeping with the rest of the WorldA maps.

Don't get me wrong dude it's fine work, I'm only objecting because, as I said, I had assumed you intended for it to be a standard change to the WorldA maps in general, not a single variation.

KapiTod

Banned
This thread is for the standardised map series as made my hadaril. Other contributions are designed to enhance that series on his behalf. By posting it here as an improvement, you've implied that it's for standardised use, and now the argument has arisen because it doesn't make sense for standardised use because it isn't in keeping with the rest of the WorldA maps.

Don't get me wrong dude it's fine work, I'm only objecting because, as I said, I had assumed you intended for it to be a standard change to the WorldA maps in general, not a single variation.

Yeah I didn't post it here, I just got tagged as the creator.

Alright, I suppose until we get the whole british isles situation ironed out, I'll keep using the old base map for now.