OTL Map Thread Mk IV., 2014-

achaemenid_empire____522_bc___486_bc__by_shahabbas1571-dcqqdl9.png

CCwnYDm.png

This is the third map I made on Persian history and probably the one of my best work yet. Since someone requested me to make a map of the Achaemenid Empire, I thought to myself - "Why not?". So here you have it, The Empire at its peak.

If there's any historical errors or misdirection, just holler! But please post it here in order to be more organizable.

Source

I don't know about the rest, but I read somewhere that the -ach(en) suffix is typical of places of Frankish origin. Similar reasoning were done with Thuringian, Celtic (In Nothhern Italy, all the places ending in -ago and -ate) and Saxon (I think the -hof thing, not sure). It would be interesting to see a similar map with place-names origins.

That map is wrong, and slightly problematic - what it actually shows is where the various nations lived when white people began to settle their lands. The Cheyenne, for instance, lived on the upper Mississippi as late as the mid-18th century, and their character was completely altered by the arrival of horses, their migration west to hunt buffalo and the spiritual revival that followed (notice how they're a massive geographic outlier in their language group?). By then, most of the tribes in New England and down the east coast had been driven extinct or close to it.

Is that meant to be OTL? Because the borders of both Trondhjems len, Livonia, Ingria and Pomerania are off in that case.

Some of those place names might be somewhat anachronistic. Better ones might be Reval (Tallinn), Uleåborg (Oulu), Åbo (Turku) and Vasa (Vaasa). Egentliga Finland ("Finland Proper") would have been known simply as Finland at the time. Kiruna also did not exist yet.

Not actually true. Qaghaq tal-ghasel are sold year-round, and to my knowledge, are no more Christmassy than Easter eggs. They may once have been associated with Christmas, but that association is long gone these days.

Not actually true. Qaghaq tal-ghasel are sold year-round, and to my knowledge, are no more Christmassy than Easter eggs. They may once have been associated with Christmas, but that association is long gone these days.
Thinking something similar for smultrings. I have seen those sorts of donuts around for months, though admittedly it may have to do with them starting to sell that stuff here months ago, like with julemenn/kakemenn. Those being rock hard cookies. Ate a few sets of them this year, but am glad to say I helped make a non-store batch a few days back, and they are as soft as childhood memories had them. On a side note, I really hate how mince pies don't have meat in them. I was so disappaointed to find it had nothing but dried fruit and nuts in them. Fortunately someone made something with sardines, so I had those instead. Such fun sampling the Christmas treats of multiple nationalities. On a side note, anyone think peladillas as candy might be cheating? Also, I am pretty sure the ones they have for Denmark are correct, though Iceland's Christmas treat is eaten by most Scandinavians, to my knowledge. Might just be those on the North Atlantic, though.

file

Map of Soviet Central Asia in 1922. This map is interesting for a few notable reasons, one of which being the name Kirgizistan in lieu of Kazakhstan. Might be useful for those who want a Soviet Union without National delimitation.