28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

Some what ironically was the state of the former United Kingdom, which was actually improving, the resettlement areas set up American led NATO forces before the Europe outbreak had manage to establish contact with each other and form a loose federation of communities that were dotted around England, Scotland and Wales. By early 2006, the Federation of Great Britain was proclaimed in St Andrews, Scotland, which included St Andews, the most affluent of the resettled areas, as well as the Isle of Wight, Dover, Folkstone, Portsmouth, Fort William and Angelsey. Smaller villages near these towns were later cleared of bodies and wreckage and also resettled, and rudimentary phone lines and power lines were set up or reconnected, allowing communication between the citizens of the British Federation of some 30,000 estimated people. The Federation was run by a joint civilian and military council upon its proclamation, with plans for elections in 2008.

What about this extract suggests a republican form of government? Federations are not inherently republics, and the focus on the monarch as the physical embodiment of the British nation is widespread in British culture. I sincerely doubt that the Federation of Great Britain would reject King Charles III outright - presumably a reunification of the FofGB with Northern Ireland is expected in the future.

Absolutely in love with this entire thread, awesome job, spence! Re-read it like three times now lmao. Literally only made this account because I wanted to join this thread so badly.

It definitely got me thinking about what the effects of this widespread decimation would be on numerous things in our world, and recently it got me thinking about the entertainment industry of all things as I was just playing the Anniversary edition of Halo 2, I wondered if the Flood would have been taken out of the game entirely by Bungie due to it being a controversial subject. (Halo 2 being released in late 2004) Y'know a virus that turns people into monsters that then further spread the virus, which of course would dramatically change the game's play and story and the games after that. The movie and game franchise of Resident Evil entirely may be dropped or changed to focus more on the corporation and political stuff rather than the zombies. (Going on the assumption that zombies exist in pop culture in this world since zombies are never really brought up in most of the universes that media IRL is set in containing them) Dawn of the Dead (Remake) would absolutely be cancelled, the Dead Rising series would never come to light. That entire genre would most likely just disappear over night, likely not to return for decades. (Mainstream wise)

Resident Evil, starring Milla Jovovich, was released around July 2002 OTL. It would have mostly been canceled due to the sensitivity of the topic of "infected maniacs" similar to the film. Dawn of the Dead remake would have not been made at all (filming began in 2003 OTL). Call it yes or no if Dead Rising will be made, but for sure it may come out differently in this timeline. So far, the only famous zombie games in this timeline are Resident Evil and The House of the Dead. But thank God Uwe Boll's horrible version of the House of the Dead may not be made in this timeline. Romero's films may have bigger impact since people have seen a similar monster.

Absolutely in love with this entire thread, awesome job, spence! Re-read it like three times now lmao. Literally only made this account because I wanted to join this thread so badly.

Outside of the entertainment industry however I was also thinking about the Middle East. Since the Iraq War never happened, ISIS never came to power and would the Arab Spring even happen? And if it did would it happen in 2011, later or maybe even earlier? Would it be as intense with numerous civil wars sparking as a result or would it be less horrific due to the non-existence of ISIS and Russia and NATO potentially being too distracted with Europe to focus on interfiering in Syria and the Middle East overall.

Britain was mentioned to withdraw from Afghanistan earlier in OTL, leaving the USA and the Northern Alliance to deal with the Taliban and Al-Qaeda there. Not sure what would happen to Osama bin-Laden in this timeline whether he survives to present day (2018), is killed earlier than 2011 (OTL), or is killed the same way as OTL. Most like OBL would have used the opportunity to attack U.S. forces in the Middl East.

Libya's Civil War came earlier due to the mass migration of European refugees into North Africa (oh the irony) and the collpase of the Libyan economy. This civil war is bloodier and came in Gaddafi's favor because there was no NATO intervention as NATO was busy with the Fall of Europe outbreak. Of course, Gaddafi would be assassinated and Cyranecea would declare independence.

The Iraq War is butterflied away so Saddam remains in power possibly to the 2010s as historians mention that the Arab Spring was bound to happen either way. ISIS is most likely butterflies away as well.

Outside of the entertainment industry however I was also thinking about the Middle East.
Paradoxically, I think the condition of post-Rage virus Europe may improve the refugee crisis that heated up in the 2010s OTL. A largely empty continent with good soil and well-developed infrastructure could become some kind of UN-run refugee areas for displaced people from conflicts around the world.
Alternatively, I could also see separatists groups like Kurds or Tibets trying to gain "independence" by filibustering new countries out of the devastated areas.

The effect on popular music is likely to be a revival of quite apocalyptic lyrics vs very optimistic happy 'poppy' stuff.

One Direction may not form at all, with their members most likely dead. Even if each of them survived, the Rage Epidemic would have butterflied away their formation i.e., they may have chosen to go separate countries as refugees such as France, Ireland, USA, Canada, etc, and lived their indefinitely or were killed when the European Outbreak began (especially for those refugees in Central Europe).

Niall Horan was only 9, Liam Payne was only 9, Harry Styles was only 8, Louis Tomilson was only 10, and Zayn Malik was also 9.

Yes it would have been nice to see another movie in which the virus breaks out worldwide to wrap this up. Like with some other film series I choose to think the second one was never made. While it had it's good parts but for the most part the security scenario didn't make a lot of sense and had me yelling at my screen. 2 children are able to escape the quarantine zone after being there for a day or two. The father who is a glorified janitor has a passkey that works on a secure holding room. All of the survivors are herded into one room when this go sideways.

Yes it would have been nice to see another movie in which the virus breaks out worldwide to wrap this up. Like with some other film series I choose to think the second one was never made. While it had it's good parts but for the most part the security scenario didn't make a lot of sense and had me yelling at my screen. 2 children are able to escape the quarantine zone after being there for a day or two. The father who is a glorified janitor has a passkey that works on a secure holding room. All of the survivors are herded into one room when this go sideways.

@Ukron and I agree, 28 Weeks Later had too much plotholes. Even worse was they DID NOT post many guards in Alice's cell.

I prefer the idea of the Outbreak being confined to Britain with European, Irish etc infections squished. The idea of an empty UK only populated by survivors and the approaches to making sure she is secure- house to house checks and clearance vs less structured methods. Plus the political arguments about resettlement - 'safe zones' via lottery, let every refugee go home, clearing bodies, limits of governmental control, survivors vs refugee arguments and guilt trauma. Also the fallout of a major world power like the UK being knocked out of the world economy and politics...

@Ukron and I agree, 28 Weeks Later had too much plotholes. Even worse was they DID NOT post many guards in Alice's cell.

Plus her ex-husband, even in charge of the complex, should NEVER have had access to the medical wing under ANY circumstances. And his two rug-rats should NEVER have been let back in even with their mother, they should have been forced to stay outside with no amenities as a warning to everyone else...

Plus her ex-husband, even in charge of the complex, should NEVER have had access to the medical wing under ANY circumstances. And his two rug-rats should NEVER have been let back in even with their mother, they should have been forced to stay outside with no amenities as a warning to everyone else...

Why where the kids even allowed into the country? Surely you want the UK 100% secured by soldiers before you let kids anywhere near.

Why where the kids even allowed into the country? Surely you want the UK 100% secured by soldiers before you let kids anywhere near.

Been a while since I saw the movie, but IIRC someone realized their father was there and decided to reunite the family...

I guess that the security officer, if he survived , will end stehis military career in Alaska as First Class.

General Stone was arrested and tried for negligence following Code Red while Andy Harris got executed by firing squad in 2015 for bringing down an entire continent to its knees. Makes me think whether it should have been Stone instead who was given the death penalty of Andy since the latter 8 (as of December 2002) and did not know about the conseqeuences as carrier. Stone, on the other hand, had been lax. IMO, Andy should have been acquitted by the ICJ.

And, if he wants to see his wife and Stone decides to allow it, have a platoon of soldiers accompany him; all of them would be armed with either M-16s or flamethrowers, and also armed with grenades (that way, should a scenario like what happened in the movie happens, one of the weapons is destined to work (1)), and the hell with what the doctor wants...

Yeah, the kids will complain (and test them for the Rage virus and, if they test positive, detain them somewhere very secure). But. Absolutely. No. Chances. Must. Be. Taken!!!!

(1) The grenades are for use after the M-16/flamethrowers are used simultaneously and, ideally, several of them are white phosphorus grenades. Why? There Is No Kill Like Overkill; it's the only way to make sure, especially with Rage victims...

Last edited:
On a side note, at the end of 28 Days Later, I half-expected the plane at the end to open fire on the heroes (trust me, if 28 Days Later had been made in the 1970s, that might have been the ending, since the 1970s loved movies with Downer Endings); I was relieved when it didn't...

And, if he wants to see his wife and Stone decides to allow it, have a platoon of soldiers accompany him; all of them would be armed with either M-16s or flamethrowers, and also armed with grenades (that way, should a scenario like what happened in the movie happens, one of the weapons is destined to work (1)), and the hell with what the doctor wants...

Yeah, the kids will complain (and test them for the Rage virus and, if they test positive, detain them somewhere very secure). But. Absolutely. No. Chances. Must. Be. Taken!!!!

(1) The grenades are for use after the M-16/flamethrowers are used simultaneously and, ideally, several of them are white phosphorus grenades. Why? There Is No Kill Like Overkill; it's the only way to make sure, especially with Rage victims...

One of those rare cases where the guys trying to kill children with mustard gas are the good guys.