The Yankee Dominion: A Map and World Building Project

I wanted to get this out before Thanksgiving, so no huge write-up.

UmuP1XO.png

Quebec Electoral System – Two-Round Runoff, Second-Round Results displayed

2018 Election Results: Démocratique Majority, Mario Laframboise to lead Government

Parti Démocratique du Québec (44 Seats) A Christian Democratic Party without the Christians, a statement that fits Quebec’s oddities very well. They are the general ruling Party of Quebec, since the late 70s when the Parti Fédéraliste failed to change with Quebec. However, they do not rule unchallenged, opposition and coalition governments are normal. What makes the Democrats so powerful is understanding of Quebec’s culture. Why the party is still guided fundamentally by Catholic principles, they more often then not defer to French Identity. Indeed, the Party often finds itself enacting policies previously pursued in France. The party stands strong when clothed in the Petite-French Identity of Quebec – which includes their Catholic ideology. Their implementation of the Second-Round style systems reflects this general French-ness.

Parti Travailleurs (16 Seats) The Quebec Branch of the National Labour Party. One would think, in a province with a general left-wing trend, the Left would have a stronger presence then 20% of the seats. The problem is factionalism. The radicals, moderates, and centrists inside the Quebec left have always been at war over issues like culture, the environment, and Montreal vs the Province overall. In a good year, all types of voters will join the Travailleurs and the Greens to oust the Democrats. In a normal year though, the moderates go for one of the more culturally driven parties, and the left divides itself.

Front Écologique (7 Seats)Like the Workers, the Quebec Greens also have a factional problem, however here it is much more brazen. There are two factions within the Greens: The Liberals who side with the globalist party, and the Extremists often derogatively called the “Plateauists” in reference to the Hyper-Left region of Montreal. The party traditionally sides with the workers, but will form governments with the democrats. The Greens tend to benefit from the second round more then any other party, though getting there is often a challenge.

Citizens Equality Party (9 Seats)As one can no doubt tell by the primacy of the Parties English Name, this is a party for English Speakers in Quebec. The party is moderate, but will generally side with the left when push comes to shove. There are two general factions within the party – the Montreal members who come from the Western part of the island and suburbs, and the Rural faction powered by Anglos along the borders with the New England states.

Parti Liberté (2 Seats)A home for those that are so committed to the French Identity, they wish to secede. This ideology had a much better time before the two-round-runoff, which virtually eliminated the party from contention. Very few people believe in Quebec Separatism, with the ideology holding the most followers in the ‘forgotten extremes’ of the province. The party has several times been declared unconstitutional by Local Courts, only for the Philadelphia Courts to re-legalize the party under freedom of expression.

Last edited:
What are the cultural differences from Quebec Francophones than Francophones in Lousiana, Indiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, etc.

Didn't we just have one for America? The one we made a map on?

I imagined that was 2016/17, and it did produce a minority/coalition govt. So things could collapse, but that would require a reason, aka more meat on the metaphorical bones.

Last edited:

Bison

Banned
What are some changes in population and demographics ITTL? I would think Canada would be a lot less populated, for one, or more people along the Great Lakes as there as is more commerce along the Great Lakes since its part of the same country. Judging by the Illinois post (great read), with Chicago making up 95% of the Illinois population or something like that, this is already the case. What are the biggest cities?

Have you worked out how slavery works out, or how a civil war foments, what with the French being predominant in the Western deep South?

Demographics we have not changed much numerically (changed a lot linguistically) other then a massive pop shift away from OTL DC in NOVA/MD to the Philadelphia region in SEPA/NJ/DE, and Ottawa basically not even existing. The city you see on the Quebec Map is Hull, the only remaining trace of what could have been.

For slavery, there is a few things going on. The way how we justified slavery falling away is the differences and rivalries between the Anglos in the coastal south, and the French in the interior. The two would have a hard time building a slavery coalition against the even more populous north when compared to OTL. Instead, reforms would be slow in a fashion similar to this: A French Southern-Northern govt comes to power and then strips some privileges from the Anglo slaveholders. Then when a Anglo-Northern govt comes to power its far easier to formalize those reforms for the French region (and go even further) then try and roll them back. Roll backs did happen of course, but this is the general trend. On top of this, there is the rest of the Empire putting pressure on the Dominion to end Slavery. Eventually, this process would see slaves freed - probably earlier then OTL, but they would remain attached to the land. Suffrage, freedom of movement, freedom of association, etc - these would all take much longer then OTL.

Here is Alaska as I think... @TimTurner requested. I ended up getting to this request really late, thanks to the US elections, personal work, and just general difficulty in finding Yukon data. 50 Districts, 3 reps. Two maps are included - the first is simply a color code for the many islands in the south, and which seat they go to, the second is the one with the men.

wUtblp0.png

xOewHIv.png

8pW0LBu.png

EDIT: forget to mention, every Rep has a little over 5,000 constituents. This puts every district at 15K residents. This also accounts for the small pop transfer to account for the Slavics.

Last edited:
Here is Alaska as I think... @TimTurner requested. I ended up getting to this request really late, thanks to the US elections, personal work, and just general difficulty in finding Yukon data. 50 Districts, 3 reps. Two maps are included - the first is simply a color code for the many islands in the south, and which seat they go to, the second is the one with the men.

wUtblp0.png

xOewHIv.png

8pW0LBu.png
What do you use to make those maps?

I uses DRA and GIS (when unavailable in DRA) to create districts. Then I whip out Gimp, and Blank YellowMaps county template, and got to town. For ones with large Canadian sections it is a more difficult process, but for ones only with small bits like Alaska, I simply trace the outlines from GIS into the GIMP canvas.