Julia IOTL was born in Wales, which she still is, but ITTL her family moves to Patagonia, which is a half Cambrophone, half Anglophone country instead.

The UK.

See above for the AU, and no, it's not our current government. Marise Payne chose to go into international affairs instead. The current Australasian PM is Kevin Rudd, though probably not for long.

It varies drastically. On many parts of the Cape York Peninsula, it is very much like it was pre-white settlement. In Porto Novo, the capital (OTL TOwnsville), life is more developed and is comparable to something like OTL Cape Town. Overall, development is roughly equal to OTL East Timor.

Not quite sure what you're saying here.

The green slightly enlarged Northern Territory.

Yup. New Holland, Tasmania and Australasia have some of the best standards of living in the world. The others? Not quite as great.

About 5.5 million. Quite cramped.

Thanks!

Let me guess, Rudd stuffed up or swore some staffer. I'm not sure if you're doing political party inboxes but what is the run down of the political parties on the continent?

So outside the capital, its basically third world more or less, that's rough.

Kevin Rudd used to talk about a big Australia of 50 million people when he was in power (well, it will happen sooner or later anyway), just that here its already happened.

Is Nhulumbuy just some super developed, high density city

Let me guess, Rudd stuffed up or swore some staffer. I'm not sure if you're doing political party inboxes but what is the run down of the political parties on the continent?

Next on the list. ;)

So outside the capital, its basically third world more or less, that's rough.

Oh no. It’s third world in the capital too, just outside the capital, most places just lack any semblance of organisation whatsoever. The traditional Aboriginal way of life very much prevails outside the capital.

Kevin Rudd used to talk about a big Australia of 50 million people when he was in power (well, it will happen sooner or later anyway), just that here its already happened.

Well, yes, just less than half of it resembles anything we would vaguely recognise as “Australian” (and I include NZ in that, so, yeah, it’s pretty different).

Is Nhulumbuy just some super developed, high density city

This is more or less what Nhulunbuy Yirrkala looks like ITTL. High density yes, developed? Meh.

Last edited:
Ooch, an economic union will be hard to achieve when two neighbour country have a gdp per capita different by a factor of 10... i’m Not sure if a single currency is a good idea in this case.

Very good start!

worldmap-png.420153
Is Manchuria under a rump "Qing Empire" while the rest of China is under either a Republic or a native dynasty?

Next on the list. ;)

Oh no. It’s third world in the capital too, just outside the capital, most places just lack any semblance of organisation whatsoever. The traditional Aboriginal way of life very much prevails outside the capital.

Well, yes, just less than half of it resembles anything we would vaguely recognise as “Australian” (and I include NZ in that, so, yeah, it’s pretty different).

This is more or less what Nhulunbuy looks like ITTL. High density yes, developed? Meh.

So its more like their are really nice gated communities or something (like cape town). Still though, I guess the traditional aboriginal ways are continuing which is good at least.

What is going on with New Zealand in this time line.

How big is Nhulunbuy actually? Guessing it is bigger than IOTL (otherwise it would be as dense as Gaza City pretty much).

I have a few questions:

How did Obama end up in East Africa?

What kind of government does the US have?

Is President Bush Jeb or George W?

Ooch, an economic union will be hard to achieve when two neighbour country have a gdp per capita different by a factor of 10... i’m Not sure if a single currency is a good idea in this case.

Very good start!

Neither am I - or, for that matter, Australasia and Tasmania, whose governments aren’t very happy with the idea. The Opposition in New Holland isn’t very enamoured with the idea either.

But thanks for the compliment!

Is Manchuria under a rump "Qing Empire" while the rest of China is under either a Republic or a native dynasty?

The Empire of Manchuria is ruled by the Qing Dynasty as the continuation of Manchukuo. China is a federal republic with a system roughly similar to OTL Russia, and also with about the same level of actual democracy as our Russia.

So its more like their are really nice gated communities or something (like cape town). Still though, I guess the traditional aboriginal ways are continuing which is good at least.

Some parts are nice gated communities, others are almost slum-like. But yes, the survival of Aboriginal culture is possibly my favourite part of this TL.

What is going on with New Zealand in this time line.

New Zealand is an archaic name for New Ireland, the island chain that makes up the Australasian provinces of New Ulster and New Munster. Actually, not too different from OTL, although the Kiwi identity is less distinct.

How big is Nhulunbuy actually? Guessing it is bigger than IOTL (otherwise it would be as dense as Gaza City pretty much).

I already mentioned it had a population of 5.5 million. It’s spread across an area a bit bigger than Adelaide, so still quite dense.

I have a few questions:

How did Obama end up in East Africa?

Decolonisation being handled better by the British prompted Obama’s father to stay in Kenya, and thus Obama actually was born there ITTL and chose to go into East African politics.

What kind of government does the US have?

Is President Bush Jeb or George W?

Pretty similar to OTL, although the Electoral College has just been abolished.

Jeb!

Who else?

P.S. I also updated the map with some significant changes to North America. @Kanan, please tell me if it looks too similar to your TL and I’ll fix it.

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Honestly I’m loving everything about this TL!!!

Keep it up :D

You need to teach me how to make news article graphics like yours!

The changes to North America raises some questions: is Quebec a republic? Is Newfoundland an autonomous part of the UK like Wales? How come Alaska is only a territory?

I apologise if you’ve already answered this, but what are the systems of government in each Australian nation?

Seriously good work though, keep it up!!

South African Election,1982
Thought I should crosspost my MOTF entry here as well, a map showing South Africa’s first universal elections ITTL. If anyone wants to see the original, 9 MB (!) file, you can find it here.

motf_187_entry__small__by_kaiseremu-dcs68mi.png

Following the controversy of Ian Smith’s United National Party government, the 1977 election saw a landslide victory for Denis Worrall’s Liberal Party, promising to halt South Africa’s growing global isolation and adopt a path of reform, with the aim of universal suffrage by the next election. Worrall’s term saw widespread consultation with many groups, which eventually resulted in the drafting of a new constitution, which included:
  • a guarantee of equal suffrage
  • abolition of the provinces and their replacement with new states
  • abolition of the South African monarchy and replaced it with a parliament-appointed Chief Executive
  • the renaming of the cities of Robertsville and Watersridge to Tshwane and Gauteng, respectively.
The new constitution was then put to a referendum in 1981, in which all people groups could vote. The new constitution was approved by 78% of the voters, prompting the issuing of writs for a new general election for the next year, in which all South Africans would have the right to vote.

The 1982 election was South Africa’s first fully democratic election, without regard to race, wealth or gender. After the ratification of South Africa’s new constitution, which replaced the Union of South Africa with the Commonwealth of South Africa in 1981, South Africa’s first non-racial elections were held, with nine parties contesting the election. Incumbent Prime Minister Denis Worrall attempted to retain his position on a platform of continuing the reforms his party had begun. The election also saw record turnout, with millions exercising their new-found right to vote. Ultimately, Allan Hendricks won the election, becoming South Africa’s first non-white Prime Minister. Among his promises were fair wealth redistribution to improve standards of living nationally, and a National Reconciliation Commission. Entering into a coalition with the African People’s Party (led first by Oliver Tambo and then Nelson Mandela), Hendricks faced the challenge of reuniting a divided nation.

Review questions:
1. Based on the map above, identify geographic patterns in the distribution of votes for three parties.
2. Suggest why turnout was so high at the election.
3. What was a key reason for Allan Hendricks’ victory?
4. Which parties formed a coalition after the coalition?

Honestly I’m loving everything about this TL!!!

Keep it up :D

Thanks. :D I will try to.

You need to teach me how to make news article graphics like yours!

A lot of it is based off source editing the text with the “inspect element” tool, then adding in images and cleaning it up later. I could do a more detailed tutorial if you’d like?

The changes to North America raises some questions: is Quebec a republic? Is Newfoundland an autonomous part of the UK like Wales? How come Alaska is only a territory?

Quebec is a republic, although there were some voices in favour of its adoption of the French monarchy at its (not entirely peaceful) independence.

Yes, Newfoundland is autonomous like Wales. So is England, but I forgot to mark it on the map.

Because I was not aware of just how big its population actually is? o_O

I apologise if you’ve already answered this, but what are the systems of government in each Australian nation?

Seriously good work though, keep it up!!

New Holland is a unitary, parliamentary, republic. Its parliament is elected using STV by province. It’s government system, however, is closer to the US’s than Britain’s .

Kidulia is a unitary presidential republic. It does, however, afford significant autonomy to its large Aboriginal population and its small Dutch population, with 20 and two mandated seats in the National Assembly for the two groups, respectively. If not enough are elected at the election, extras are added in overhang seats. The National Assembly is elected proportionally, and the President is elected by a two-round system.

Costa Norte is a semi-presidential unitary republic. The most notable feature of its government system is its upper house, comprised of tribal chiefs from each Aboriginal nation.

Australasia is a federal, parliamentary, constitutional monarchy. Its system is fairly similar to OTL Australia, although its Senate is de jure appointed by provincial legislatures (de facto, six of the eight provinces allow the public to elect their senators). It also has designated seats for Indigenous Australasians.

Tasmania is a unitary parliamentary republic. Like OTL Ireland, but the President has even less power.

Auralia is a unitary presidential republic. Like OTL France, but the President has even more power.

Baudinia, as an overseas autonomous territory of France, is an autonomous constitutional monarchy, with the King represented by a Governor, and a unicameral Territorial Assembly.

Political Parties of Australasia

Here you go. I’ll start with Australasia. :)

B10CBE2C-157E-43A8-83C0-5B0F0B2773D1.png

Labour: The main party of the left. Currently led by Kevin Rudd, though maybe not for long. More left-wing than Australian Labor, but with a much stronger faction of social conservatives.

Democrats: Centrist, maybe leaning slightly to the left. Led by Malcolm Turnbull. Popular among the progressive urban/suburban population. Lost a few MPs who defected to support Rudd's government, but keeping their crossbench seats warm.

National: The main right-wing party. Led by Gladys Berejiklian. The party of low taxes, big business, and, depending on who you ask, social conservatism. Very much a broad church - are its foundations strong enough?

The Greens: Still strongly environmentalist and a fledgling party without Bob Brown kickstarting it. Not a significant force - yet.

Rural Alliance: The descendants of TTL’s infamous Country Party. Rural interests are first for them, and everything else is a long way behind. Their stronghold is New England, where an embattled Barnaby Joyce is Premier. They used to be strong in Capricornia (then Cooksland), but they don’t like to speak about the Joh era.

Australasia First: TTL’s right-wing nutjobs. Fiercely nationalist and conservative, their leader is Pauline Hanson following Winston Peters’ retirement.

First Nations Party: The FNP represents indigenous interests in Australasia. They’re strongest among the Maori population, but they also attract significant support from mainland Aboriginals and some whites.

There you go for Australasia. Still working on the others. I can put it into infobox form soon.

But, that leads me onto my next bit. I’ve finished many of the things I had in the pipeline for this and the MOTF, and my exams are over now, do what would you like to see? It can be anything from around the world, and I’ll see what I can do.

Last edited:
Political Parties of Tasmania
And for Tasmania. Tasmania’s politics are interesting because it’s quite split along linguistic lines.

Social Democrats/Sociaal-Democraten: Progressive left wing party. Gets their support from the southern Dutch-speaking population.

Liberal/Liberaal: The party of the left popular with northern Anglophones. Closely affiliated with the trade unions and socially less progressive.

Christian Democrats/Christen-Democraten: Centre-right party that gets its support from the Dutch part of the country, including a surprisingly high proportion of atheists. Not nearly as conservative as you might think.

Conservative/Conservatief: The party of the Anglophone right. Socially conservative, economically liberal.

Green Tasmania/Groen Tasmanië: Environmentalist party. Reached their zenith in the 90s and early 2000s, now trying to reinvent themselves as a catch-all left party. The only really successful cross-cultural party.

Freedom/Vrijheid: Super right-wing party for the Dutch population. Also quite libertarian.

Nationalist/Nationalist: Super right-wing party for Anglophones - very clearly, refusing to provide a Dutch translation of their name to the electoral commission, and policies including abolition of Dutch as an official language.

Needless to say, the last two parties don’t get much support.

Last edited:
Here you go. I’ll start with Australasia. :)

View attachment 421136

Labour: The main party of the left. Currently led by Kevin Rudd, though maybe not for long. More left-wing than Australian Labor, but with a much stronger faction of social conservatives.

Democrats: Centrist, maybe leaning slightly to the left. Led by Nick Xenophon. Popular among the progressive urban/suburban population. Currently giving confidence and supply to the Rudd government, though also maybe not for long.

National: The main right-wing party. Led by Gladys Berejiklian. The party of low taxes, big business, and, depending on who you ask, social conservatism. Very much a broad church - are its foundations strong enough?

The Greens: Still strongly environmentalist and a fledgling party without Bob Brown kickstarting it. Not a significant force - yet.

Rural Alliance: The descendants of TTL’s infamous Country Party. Rural interests are first for them, and everything else is a long way behind. Their stronghold is New England, where an embattled Barnaby Joyce is Premier. They used to be strong in Capricornia (then Cooksland), but they don’t like to speak about the Joh era.

Australasia First: TTL’s right-wing nutjobs. Fiercely nationalist and conservative, their leader is Pauline Hanson following Winston Peters’ retirement.

First Nations Party: The FNP represents indigenous interests in Australasia. They’re strongest among the Maori population, but they also attract significant support from mainland Aboriginals and some whites.

There you go for Australasia. Still working on the others. I can put it into infobox form soon.

But, that leads me onto my next bit. I’ve finished many of the things I had in the pipeline for this and the MOTF, and my exams are over now, do what would you like to see? It can be anything from around the world, and I’ll see what I can do.

Thanks for the list. All the candidates are rather dire (i mean seriously, Rudd with all his nonsense may be the best one). Who is likely to replace Kevin Rudd?

A snapshot of current events around the globe:

alternate_history__new_york_times_by_kaiseremu-dcs10bl.png

Questions?

The elections of my homeland (Germany) are said to be "marred by allegations by fraud and corruption". Oh... How democratic is that Germany? Who is claimed to be corrupt against whom? Which parties have had a disadvantage? And what reasons does this corruption etc. have?

Very nice so far!

A few questions:

Are Northern Ireland and Uruguay occupied by Ireland/Brazil respectively? If not what are the green borders around these?

What is the dark blue region around the Rhine in France? My first thought would have been some occupied Saar/Palatinate but it also has Alsace, so what is it status? Autonomous German majority French region?

Ooh, questions!

Thanks for the list. All the candidates are rather dire (i mean seriously, Rudd with all his nonsense may be the best one). Who is likely to replace Kevin Rudd?

The most likely candidates to replace Rudd are Treasurer Chris Bowen, Deputy Prime Minister Tanya Plibersek, and Foreign Minister Jacinda Ardern.

But Libya is not a Serbian colony, is it?

Is Myanmar, Mexico, Turkey or any other nation communist? If not, has any nation been communist?

No, Libya’s independent. My colour options were either that or a green that was very similar to Italy’s.

The Democratic People’s State of Burma is communist... if you consider North Korea communist.

Nations that were or claimed at one point to be communist include:

• China
  • Indonesia
  • Bali
  • Kalimantan
  • East Timor
  • New Guinea
  • Mozambique
  • Angola
  • Congo
  • Senegambia
  • Chile
And a special mention for Germany, of which significant parts were under Communist control during the Civil War.

The elections of my homeland (Germany) are said to be "marred by allegations by fraud and corruption". Oh... How democratic is that Germany? Who is claimed to be corrupt against whom? Which parties have had a disadvantage? And what reasons does this corruption etc. have?

The ruling SDAP has been in power for over a decade and a half now, and perhaps have become a bit too used to governing. The allegations are that they’ve rigged the election through gerrymandering, violations of campaign laws and accepting donations that they shouldn’t have - which most people accept, but the DVP is also suggesting that widespread voter suppression, ballot stuffing, and intimidation are being used to secure another victory. Germany’s been pretty democratic since the end of the Second World War, but the system is quite delicate and a number of its flaws are now being exposed.

Very nice so far!

A few questions:

Are Northern Ireland and Uruguay occupied by Ireland/Brazil respectively? If not what are the green borders around these?

These ones show claims. Brazil claims control of Uruguay, and the State of Ulster claims control of Northern Ireland, although it is recognised by no one.

What is the dark blue region around the Rhine in France? My first thought would have been some occupied Saar/Palatinate but it also has Alsace, so what is it status? Autonomous German majority French region?

It is. It’s an autonomous region of France, with German as an official language and an ethnically German majority.

Political Parties of Auralia
And Auralia’s political parties.

Parti Socialiste-Démocratique: The dominant party of the left. Despite their name, they’re actually quite moderate, having been forced to the centre by the PVG.

Les Républicains: The main centre-right party. Notable for a large number of libertarians in the party.

Parti Impérial: Big-tent party, whose main aim is the return of the House of Bonaparte to Auralia. Thrust into the position of kingmaker at the last election, they’ve been promised a referendum on the issue.

Bloc Indigène: An indigenous rights party. They don’t do very well, because indigenous rights are quite advanced overall.

Parti Vert-Gauche: Left-wing party. Notable for their rather radical ideas about reducing inequality. On the rise recently, to the terror of the PSD.

Front Auralienne: Radical right-wing party. Doesn’t like anyone who isn’t white. Unfortunately that’s quite a lot of people in Auralia, so they’re lucky to get one seat.

Questions?

Last edited: