The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

As a thought exercise, I decided to see what the 1988 election would look like with Bush mismanaging his campaign as badly as Dukakis - e.g., not going on the offensive, except for a few gaffes on the bestiality issue, raising taxes and gun control to give a good analogue to the tank fiasco. And the results were pretty apocalyptic for the Republicans...

upload_2018-11-9_20-13-2.png

Michael Dukakis/Lloyd Bentsen: 529 EVs 56.9% PV
George H.W. Bush/Dan Quayle: 9 EVs 42.3% PV

Somehow, I don't think George Jr. and Jeb are going to have much of a political career ITTL...

teg

How do you play as Nader?

Pick the 2000 option, and choose Nader from the drop-down list.

It's normally a very dull choice, since there is no way (bar cheating) to get to the 5% requirement.

(It used to be possible to sabotage Gore so that Nader wins Massachusetts and/or Rhode Island, but I think they've tinkered with that).

Pick the 2000 option, and choose Nader from the drop-down list.

It's normally a very dull choice, since there is no way (bar cheating) to get to the 5% requirement.

(It used to be possible to sabotage Gore so that Nader wins Massachusetts and/or Rhode Island, but I think they've tinkered with that).

It's still possible to sabotage Gore in that way. It's also possible with Bush and Buchanan.

Just ran a 1988 game as Dukakis where the electoral college ended in a dead heat of 269-269, Bush won the popular vote by merely a little less than 1,000 votes...but because Democrats control the House, Dukakis is on his way to become president. Hooooooly moly.

“Congratulations! You have won the 1988 election.

Although the Electoral College was tied, the Democrats have won a solid majority in the House, and will elevate Michael Dukakis to the Presidency.

On the political front, you can work a Democratic House to overturn the worst excesses of Reagan. Internationally, you can hopefully oversee a period of relaxed tension with the Soviet Union.”

https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/game/802615