Hail, Britannia

uZQumrc.png

wPHowEs.png
I thought for sure that the west African country was going to be called Mali

I don't believe Fernando de Noronha would be a good place to test nuclear bombs, really. Perhaps in Atlantic Ocean between Benguela would be a little better place.

Is the Japanese flag meant to change from the traditional version to the Rising Sun version part way through?
I doubt it, i think the rising sun flag version is for everything related to the army (chief of the IJA, number of soldiers) while the traditional flag is for the civilian/official matters (the name of the country on the belligerent list, the emperor)

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Great to see more from this, amazing work as always.

Can I ask, how did decolonization progress in Southeast Asia, anything like OTL.

Much as OTL. However, the Dutch withdrawal from Indonesia was less disastrous as they held West Papua till the 70s and its now an independent country with the Dutch monarch as head of state. The collapse of French Indochina was equally as bloody as OTL, but the anti-communists won in the end, and Laos and Cambodia are both monarchies with Vietnam as a semi-free democratic republic. Thailand is slightly less prone to coups than OTL, while Burma is a stable multi-party presidential/parliamentary republic. The Portuguese presence in Southeast Asia is larger, covering the entirety of the East Sunda Islands; which gained independence in the 1975 and remains a realm of the Portuguese crown.

The parties are blocked out for me. I'm always in for a suprise :)
Alright, now you're just teasing us.

Indeed ;)

You guy should create an infobox on Westralia
I was literally about to say that. @LeinadB93

All in good time. There are lots of things in the pipeline!

I thought for sure that the west African country was going to be called Mali

Thought about it, but the French called it Nigeria after the river... and the name stuck after independence.

Is the Japanese flag meant to change from the traditional version to the Rising Sun version part way through?
I doubt it, i think the rising sun flag version is for everything related to the army (chief of the IJA, number of soldiers) while the traditional flag is for the civilian/official matters (the name of the country on the belligerent list, the emperor)

It's a deliberate choice, the Japanese flag represents the nation and civilian leaders, with the Rising Sun flag for the army etc. Same for China, with the Kuomintang flag for the country, and the army flag for the army...

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I knew there were some nuclear developments OTL in former Yugoslavia, what with the Vinča Institute of Physics, the Zagreb Ruđer Bošković Institute and the Ljubljana Jožef Stefan Institute, and with the latter two of the three, we also had the Krško Nuclear Power Plant... I can only assume that the brain drain Yugoslavia had with its scientists as a result of Atoms for Peace (alongside CERN) and poor project management, as well as the state not being as involved, doesn't occur to Serbia TTL for a variety of reasons, but that we largely see similar developments for the end of Serbia's nuclear programme.

I'd actually assumed that the Serbia entry relates more to chemical and biological weapons developed in the late-19th century before the end of Communism. I'd assume the nuclear developments are much like OTL, but don't really lead anywhere.

I'm definitely interested in some of the non-nuclear WMD states. Like, is South Haiti developing mustard gas or something?

South and North Haiti are both accused of using various chemical weapons during their long, near two-hundred year long unresolved border dispute and civil war, however evidence is minimal...

I don't believe Fernando de Noronha would be a good place to test nuclear bombs, really. Perhaps in Atlantic Ocean between Benguela would be a little better place.

I'd actually thought that Brazil tested its nuclear weapons at the Saint Peter and Saint Paul Archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, rather than Fernando de Noronha itself.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I’d like to know what’s going on with the German states
Does anyone know who the presiding monarch of Austria is?

Here's a bit on the German-speaking states. The current Austrian monarch is Karl V Habsburg, who has reigned as King of Austria since the death of his father, Otto II, in 2011. I'll have a post about the monarchs of the German states (& Hungary) up at some point in the near future.

90oPyaR.png

The German-speaking states, also known collectively as simply Germany, the German countries, the German nations, or rarely the Germanies, is a geopolitical term used for grouping the seven sovereign states in Central Europe which speak dialects of the German language: Austria, Brandenburg, Hanover, Hesse, Raetia, Rhineland, and Saxony. Seven of the states are monarchies and two are republics. Although neighbouring Luxembourg, Belgium, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland also have German-speaking populations, they are not considered German states. All seven countries cooperate on a regional level in several intergovernmental organisations, including the Frankfurt Group, and all are members of the European Union, and with the exception of Hanover, members of the Eurozone. Brandenburg, Hesse, Raetia, Rhineland, and Saxony are full members of the European Defence Organisation (also known as the Brussels Treaty Organisation), while Hanover is an associate member as part of the Common Defence Pact, and Austria is a neutral state and an EDO observer.

Historically, the territory of the German states formed the core of the German Confederation, which also included modern Czechia, and eventually evolved into the German Empire in 1871 after the Franco-Prussian War. The new Empire, under the Prussian House of Hohenzollern, unified the 27 German states under a single Emperor, excluding Austria which remained a separate empire under the Habsburgs. Throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the German Empire rose to great power status and formed alliances with Austria-Hungary and other nations, the Central Powers, in opposition to the Entente. The First World War led to the collapse of the multinational realm of Austria-Hungary, with its constituent parts becoming independent republics, while the German Empire overthrew its monarchies and transitioned into the unstable Weimar Republic. Initially the First Austrian Republic sought annexation into the new German republic, but remained independent until 1938.

The rise to power of the Nazi party in the 1930s saw the re-militarisation of the German armed forces, and the establishment of a centralised totalitarian “German Reich”, more commonly known as Nazi Germany. Austria was annexed into the Reich in 1938, a process known as Anschluss, marking the first time that every German country was united as a single sovereign state. German aggression ultimately culminated in the outbreak of the Second World War, during which time the German-led Axis Powers conquered and occupied most of Europe. Nazi Germany was defeated in 1945, and the territory was occupied by the Allied forces of France, Brazil, and the United Empire. Although immediate post-war conferences proposed the restoration of a united Germany under a pro-western monarchist government, with Britain proposing the head of the House of Hanover as German Emperor, the French government opposed a strong German state on its border. A proposal by Columbian First Minister Franklin Roosevelt in 1945 would eventually be adopted in 1949, with the division of post-war Germany into the modern seven states.

Referenda held in each country established new constitutions and governments; Hanover, Brandenburg, Saxony, and Hesse voted to restore their historic monarchies, while Rhineland and Raetia adopted republican constitutions. Austria initially formed the Second Austrian Republic, which lasted until 1955 when the House of Habsburg returned to the throne under newly crowed King Otto II, opting for a kingdom rather than an empire. The seven countries formed the Frankfurt Group in 1950, to foster cooperation between them based on building political and cultural ties. Rhineland became a founding member on the European union in 1958, with Raetia and Hesse joining in 1973, Brandenburg and Saxony in 1990, and Hanover and Austria joining in 1995. The German states represent some of the richest and most developed countries in Europe, and after France represent the single-largest and most influential industrial and political block within the European Union. Although the Vereinigtes Deutschland ("United Germany") movement holds seats in every German legislature, supporting a policy of German reunification, no government or country currently has a majority in favour of reunification, instead supporting increased European integration.

cC587CF.png

Last edited:
Crown of Virginia Act 1753

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
A little disappointed the Wittelsbach monarchy wasn't restored, it was fairly popular in Bavaria too.

Well I have an idea about the former Baden, Württemberg and Bavarian monarchs - that as ceremonial "Grand Dukes" of the states that cover their former realms within Raetia.

Anyway, a bit of housekeeping for some Virginia history that I had lying around:

rd293tC.png

The Crown of Virginia Act 1753 was an Act of the Parliament of Great Britain which created the title of King of Virginia for King Frederick I of Great Britain and Ireland, and his successors, who previously ruled Virginia as a British crown colony. The long title for the Act was "An Act that the King of Great Britain and Ireland, his Heirs and Successors, be Kings of Virginia". The Act also transformed the Colony of Virginia into the Kingdom of Virginia, a nominally independent state ruled by the King of Great Britain in personal union with their other realms, namely Ireland and Hanover. The new kingdom had its own legislature (the Virginia General Assembly), its own head of government (the First Minister), its own peerage (the Peerage of Virginia, now a subdivision of the Peerage of America), and its own legal system and codes based on English common law. The Kingdom was administered from Williamsburg nominally by the King of Great Britain, who appointed a viceroy, the Lord Lieutenant, to rule in his stead.

As the oldest British colony, and the only part of British America styled as a kingdom, Virginia wielded a great deal of influence in the Colonial Congress. As a result of the Anglo-American Compromise and the the Second American Reform Act, Virginia was granted a self-governing constitution in 1864, which formalised British legislative influence over the kingdom. Virginia became the second dominion to ratify the 1876 Acts of Union, which formed the United Empire on 4 July 1876. Despite these fundamental changes, the 18th century Act remains on the statute books, with only slight amendments since its initial passage, the most recent being the 2013 Succession to the Virginian Throne Act.

MWOgMbO.png

Last edited:
I'd actually assumed that the Serbia entry relates more to chemical and biological weapons developed in the late-19th century before the end of Communism. I'd assume the nuclear developments are much like OTL, but don't really lead anywhere.

Wouldn't have expected anything more or less, though I still find it interesting that their developments were major enough to appear in the template box in the first place.

Also good to see more info on the Germanies! Can't wait to hear about the current monarchs of these states and Hungary, especially since for the former, the TTL dynastic developments likely differ in some way to OTL due to when the restorations occurred (Ernst August Christian Georg in Hanover [RIP Georg Wilhelm Christian Albert Edward Alexander Friedrich Waldemar Ernst Adolf], Louis Ferdinand Viktor Eduard Albert Michael Hubertus in Brandenburg, Friedrich Christian Albert Leopold Anno Sylvester Macarius in Saxony and.... wait, which Hesse branch took power?) .

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Wouldn't have expected anything more or less, though I still find it interesting that their developments were major enough to appear in the template box in the first place.

I’m a big believer in thoroughness!!

Also good to see more info on the Germanies! Can't wait to hear about the current monarchs of these states and Hungary, especially since for the former, the TTL dynastic developments likely differ in some way to OTL due to when the restorations occurred (Ernst August Christian Georg in Hanover [RIP Georg Wilhelm Christian Albert Edward Alexander Friedrich Waldemar Ernst Adolf], Louis Ferdinand Viktor Eduard Albert Michael Hubertus in Brandenburg, Friedrich Christian Albert Leopold Anno Sylvester Macarius in Saxony and.... wait, which Hesse branch took power?) .

Hanover follows the OTL succession of the House of Hanover; Ernst August III, then IV and now V. Saxony goes to the Wettins; first Friedrich Christian II, then his son Maria Emanuel (taking the regnal name Georg II), then his younger son Albrecht V, and finally his nephew Alexander.

I'm unsure which way to go with Brandenburg, as a lot of the mainline Hohenzollerns were tainted by war crimes during the First World War and Nazi association in the Second... I'm considering Prince Wilhelm-Karl of Prussia as a possible candidate.

With Hesse, the historic territories are unified into a single state, headed by Louis, Prince of Hesse and by Rhine as the first "King of Hesse". He is succeeded by his distant cousin, Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse, which unites the Grand Ducal and Electorate branches of the family. Mortiz's father is excluded from the succession due to his involvement with the Nazis.

With Hesse, the historic territories are unified into a single state, headed by Louis, Prince of Hesse and by Rhine as the first "King of Hesse". He is succeeded by his distant cousin, Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse, which unites the Grand Ducal and Electorate branches of the family. Mortiz's father is excluded from the succession due to his involvement with the Nazis.

Ah, so we're going Hesse-Darmstadt rather than Hesse-Kassel, show those electoral bastards who the real House of Hesse is!

I'm unsure which way to go with Brandenburg, as a lot of the mainline Hohenzollerns were tainted by war crimes during the First World War and Nazi association in the Second... I'm considering Prince Wilhelm-Karl of Prussia as a possible candidate.

Why not Louis Ferdinand? He was against the Nazis OTL.

Yeah, as I named, Louis Ferdinand Viktor Eduard Albert Michael Hubertus seems to be a good choice - he was a staunch opponent of the Nazis OTL, and is much closer to the line of succession (mainly as a result of his older brother renouncing his successional rights) than Wilhelm-Karl (who is the grandson to Wilhelm II through his fifth son, unlike Louis who is the grandson through the first, the crown prince, hence why he was the head of the House Hohenzollern after his father's death). And I doubt Wilhelm-Karl would leave the Johanniterorden for something as frivolous as a monarchical position, especially if he took the Order very seriously. Him taking the position would be akin to Friedrich August Georg Ferdinand Albert Carl Anton Paul Marcellus, the Jesuit, taking the throne of Saxony.

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Who were the companions in Doctor Who ITTL?

No ideas about companions I’m afraid... I imagine they are more diverse given the vast multicultural nature of Britain ITTL.

Ah, so we're going Hesse-Darmstadt rather than Hesse-Kassel, show those electoral bastards who the real House of Hesse is!

Yep, Hesse-Darmstadt at first. Then when that line goes extinct the throne passes to Hesse-Kassel

Why not Louis Ferdinand? He was against the Nazis OTL.
Yeah, as I named, Louis Ferdinand Viktor Eduard Albert Michael Hubertus seems to be a good choice - he was a staunch opponent of the Nazis OTL, and is much closer to the line of succession (mainly as a result of his older brother renouncing his successional rights) than Wilhelm-Karl (who is the grandson to Wilhelm II through his fifth son, unlike Louis who is the grandson through the first, the crown prince, hence why he was the head of the House Hohenzollern after his father's death). And I doubt Wilhelm-Karl would leave the Johanniterorden for something as frivolous as a monarchical position, especially if he took the Order very seriously. Him taking the position would be akin to Friedrich August Georg Ferdinand Albert Carl Anton Paul Marcellus, the Jesuit, taking the throne of Saxony.

Yeah that’s more or less my thinking. So if we assume Crown Prince Wilhelm abdicates his headship of the Hohenzollerns, his son Louis Ferdinand is crowned King in 1949. Then his son Louis Ferdinand II after him, and then Georg Fredrich as the current king.

Don't forget the "British Germans" as part of the greater German speaking world. Britischedeutsch is doubtlessly still spoken in Pennsylvania, Missouri and the Ohio Country to an extent ^^

Oh definitely!! British Germans are considered part of the greater German speaking world ITTL much the same as the German speaking Swiss. Britischedeutsch is still spoken in Pennsylvania, the Ohio Country (specifically Wisconsin where German settlement creates an interesting political system and landscape), and across northern Missouri.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s more or less my thinking. So if we assume Crown Prince Wilhelmina abdicates his headship of the Hohenzollerns, his son Louis Ferdinand is crowned King in 1949. Then his son Louis Ferdinand II after him, and then Georg Fredrich as the current king.
It is also possible that Louis Ferdinand's eldest son, Friedrich Wilhelm, could succeed him, with a different marriage or a change in the succession law.