The Yankee Dominion: A Map and World Building Project

ST15RM

Banned
eLSN8Op.png

WIP. I'm gonna need help on Africa and the land down undah.

ST15RM

Banned
With what exactly? I think the borders for Antipoedia, Dutch Australia and British Australia where right in the last map
Drawing the borders for this qbam map. i’m working on north Africa right now. Perhaps @Gian could help or @Oryxslayer when he’s done with his election analysis.

I’m also gonna do a Wikipedia map, but that might take some time. It’ll hopefully be done once the qbam is done.

ST15RM

Banned
What's Texas and California like?
(This is my idea, but @Zyxoriv maybe can provide his two cents on it)
Texas and California are pretty stable, though not as powerful as OTL. Both aren't really as concerned with immigration since they have a bigger Hispanic community.

Texas isn't as conservative as OTL, it's more of a mix, even in rural areas due to the larger Hispanic population. However (crazy thought incoming) that Alex Jones (yes that one) creates his own right-wing populist party (like America First!) however I think the president should be Beto. Since it's in between America and Latin America, it relies on both America and major South american powers, like Columbia and Brazil. It isn't as "Southern" as OTL, more like the OTL Southwest. Oil is it's major export, mostly to Latin America and some to America.

California was kind of a backwater up to independence, however it has become more stable. With it's large Pacific coast, it relies heavily on East Asian economies. Perhaps this means, like the West of TTLs America, there is a sizeable East Asian population. Silicon Valley does not exist ITTL, with most of the big tech companies in Franklin or Oregon. So, it's mostly just well-off suburbs. With the film industry in Florida, LA is far less populated than OTL, although it's not a small town. The majority of the population lives in the San Fran to Monterrey area. Monterrey, which I'll call the capital city, is more populated than OTL. Like Texas, it has a mixed bag of left and right-wing views.

Texas and California are pretty stable, though not as powerful as OTL. Both aren't really as concerned with immigration since they have a bigger Hispanic community.

Texas isn't as conservative as OTL, it's more of a mix, even in rural areas due to the larger Hispanic population. However (crazy thought incoming) that Alex Jones (yes that one) creates his own right-wing populist party (like America First!) however I think the president should be Beto. Since it's in between America and Latin America, it relies on both America and major South american powers, like Columbia and Brazil. It isn't as "Southern" as OTL, more like the OTL Southwest. Oil is it's major export, mostly to Latin America and some to America.

California was kind of a backwater up to independence, however it has become more stable. With it's large Pacific coast, it relies heavily on East Asian economies. Perhaps this means, like the West of TTLs America, there is a sizeable East Asian population. Silicon Valley does not exist ITTL, with most of the big tech companies in Franklin or Oregon. So, it's mostly just well-off suburbs. With the film industry in Florida, LA is far less populated than OTL, although it's not a small town. The majority of the population lives in the San Fran to Monterrey area. Monterrey, which I'll call the capital city, is more populated than OTL. Like Texas, it has a mixed bag of left and right-wing views.
This sounds like a pretty good idea, I'll have a think about this later and maybe give some ideas, I'm a little busy this weekend unfortunately.

Interesting! I've got a couple of ideas for Texas I'll expand on Texas. I might do something on Deseret as well.

I just answer the two bigger outstanding questions before working on that county list people wanted.

1. Culture and 'local' developments I really have no problems with, as long as they don't go against anything previously established - movies included.

2. Tejas and California. Both countries should be completely different from OTL. Settlement patterns are different, some cities may not even exist whereas others might now be huge metros. Texas still will get some Anglo settlement, but they are not the dominating identity of the country. Instead, the Mestizo culture would be the foundation, and on top of it might be a new 'mixed' culture (Asian-Pacific/Mestizo for CA, Anglo/Mestizo for TX). Both countries would fall into the Sphere of America/UK, but C probably has some pacific connections.

Economically both are probably net exporters like the rest of OTL Latin America. For CA, this is originally Mining, but then later becomes more Agriculture, Timber, and Fishing, along with light industry like shipbuilding, food processing, and R&D in the capital of course. For Tejas its more Ranching and Food processing, along with a similar amount of big-city 'global' industries. The big thing for both states is OIL. Both countries have a lot, and Oil effects national development. It could lead to a variety of stings: Rentier States like MENA, State funds to finance Large Welfare regimes like Norway and the Netherlands, or somewhere in between that ends up fostering corruption like Brazil. I can't recall any timeline that explored oils effect on these two states (beyond the growth of LA/Houston), so that might be an interesting path to develop.

Last edited:

ST15RM

Banned
I just answer the two bigger outstanding questions before working on that county list people wanted.

1. Culture and 'local' developments I really have no problems with, as long as they don't go against anything previously established - movies included.

2. Tejas and California. Both countries should be completely different from OTL. Settlement patterns are different, some cities may not even exist whereas others might now be huge metros. Texas still will get some Anglo settlement, but they are not the dominating identity of the country. Instead, the Mestizo culture would be the foundation, and on top of it might be a new 'mixed' culture (Asian-Pacific/Mestizo for CA, Anglo/Mestizo for TX). Both countries would fall into the Sphere of America/UK, but C probably has some pacific connections.

Economically both are probably net exporters like the rest of OTL Latin America. For CA, this is originally Mining, but then later becomes more Agriculture, Timber, and Fishing, along with light industry like shipbuilding, food processing, and R&D in the capital of course. For Tejas its more Ranching and Food processing, along with a similar amount of big-city 'global' industries. The big thing for both states is OIL. Both countries have a lot, and Oil effects national development. It could lead to a variety of stings: Rentier States like MENA, State funds to finance Large Welfare regimes like Norway and the Netherlands, or somewhere in between that ends up fostering corruption like Brazil. I can't recall any timeline that explored oils effect on these two states (beyond the growth of LA/Houston), so that might be an interesting path to develop.
One thing about CA that I think should happen, the south should not be as populated as OTL, even if there is oil, people mostly moved to LA because the film industry was set up, and since CA isn't part of America ITTL, the chances of LA becoming a megacity like OTL are low. I think there would be a majority of people in the bay area, and the south would mostly be desert and impoverished.

However, what would be interesting is if Texas/Tejas becomes like the Brazil of TTL. A leftist stronghold breaks due to an insane corruption scandal, and Alex Jones (TTLs Bolsonaro) gets elected, despite huge international backlash.

You Like?

However, what would be interesting is if Texas/Tejas becomes like the Brazil of TTL. A leftist stronghold breaks due to an insane corruption scandal, and Alex Jones (TTLs Bolsonaro) gets elected, despite huge international backlash.
You Like?
The words "Texas" and "leftist stronghold" don't go together well.