Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not really a timeline. Just early 20th Century American propaganda. Unless I am completely misunderstanding what you are saying. But yeah what if propaganda was real can lead to very interesting timelines I guess.

540px-Cecil_Rhodes_ww.jpg

DO IT

The Seven Way Cold War
Every alliance has one billion people. Every alliance has over 100 nuclear bombs. The world is at a standstill.

Based on this map
7-miljard-mensen-verdeeld-1519.jpg

GIeJYcD.png

The Americas and Oceania: Democracies, led by the USA and the exiled British Empire (Anglosphere)
Africa: Anarchy, tribes united under an African Nametag.
Europe: Controlled by fascists ever since 1943
Northern Asia: The Soviets and the PRC set up communist regimes around here.
Japan and Central China: After losing wars to the Soviets and the theocracies, Japan went shogunate and has an absolute dictator.
Southern India: The Raj was freed by the Germans, but it descended into civil war and now consists of the Soviet puppet state to the north and the monarchies of Bangladesh, Myanmar, and India.
Southern Asia: The new Heavenly Kingdom, the Siamese Empire, the Indonesians, and the Philippines are absolute theocracies.

The border is not the same as IOTL. And people really need to stop ragging about it. Sure, there are loads of Russians in the north of Kazakhstan, but a lot of that came down to the Soviets emptying the minorities east of the Urals into Kazakhstan to be destroyed as nations as serve as laborers. Neither Soviets nor post-war governments are going to do massive border restricting, especially when people who had been deported to there took the first opportunity they had to escape home when given the choice. Also, if the Russians or others took the north they would mostly leave Kazakhstan with desert.
What's wrong the Kazakh border? With the other Turkestani states (which has been fixed, btw) or with the Kuban SSR?

I have a theory. Much like Pompeii is a fixed point in time, the Kazakh-Russia border is a fixed point in space.

And there's just no stopping it.

:)

Sure you can. There are a few simple steps to preventing its existence. First, you beat Genghis Khan...

Oh. Yeah, it is pretty shit.

There used to be a slew of maps a few years ago where people didn't bother to change the borders of certain regions, such as South America, Africa, and Central Asia. It was usually claimed that these regions were unimportant, too difficult to change, or that the author of the map couldn't think of anything different to do there, but most chalked it up to laziness. In the end, the Kazakh border was one of the last things to still remain a "fixed point in time", where no matter the POD the border between Russia and Kazakhstan would always be as the Soviets drew it (even if there were no Soviets). So it became an AH.com meme.

It's not as frequently occurring as it once was, though.

There used to be a slew of maps a few years ago where people didn't bother to change the borders of certain regions, such as South America, Africa, and Central Asia. It was usually claimed that these regions were unimportant, too difficult to change, or that the author of the map couldn't think of anything different to do there, but most chalked it up to laziness. In the end, the Kazakh border was one of the last things to still remain a "fixed point in time", where no matter the POD the border between Russia and Kazakhstan would always be as the Soviets drew it (even if there were no Soviets). So it became an AH.com meme.

It's not as frequently occurring as it once was, though.
Though of course part of my post was that it wasn't completely the same anyways. Though the part that was changed would actually have added more Russians and other groups.

View attachment 419481

How's this for a fix? That sea in the bottom left is the Caspian for reference.

Much worse. Your Central Asia already has issue where your put Turkic and Iranian speaking groups into the same area that is presumable to be based on linguistics and ethnicity, like IOTL. What you are doing here is what I suggested against, which is taking an area that the Russians settled, as well as cramming in millions of Ukrainians, Germans, Koreans, and numerous other groups. Trying to put in ASSRs might be better. Really though, this would simply be the most OTL part of the map you would have, as a great deal of non-Kazakh groups sent to the Kazakh SSR left after the Soviet Union broke up, as well as during the reforms and such in preceding decades I am unsure whether the majority of of them were in this area, but I would be surprised if there was more than a Russian pluralitt there, and if so why they would also have Siberia as separate. If you really want to make changes, check out this map. It is based on one from 1992, and shows where Kazakhs, Germans, Russians, and Ukrainians spilled over the Damned Border, as well as how much of Central Asia was unpopulated. Come to think of it, I have seen many maps where Afghanistan is split between the nearby SSRs while leaving a Baluchi and Pashto SSR as well, but I haven't seen any showing the Kazakhs, Tajiks, and Uzbeks moving into areas gained from China. Might be a thing to consider in the future. Just look over your story though and see if the borders you have in Central Asia are necessary. They might be... well, mountains are pretty high in some places.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_demography_of_Kazakhstan#/media/File:Central_Asia_Ethnic_en.svg

EDIT Ahhh wait, I thought you meant the trope of the Kazakh border in the previous post. Yah, there are problems are problems on this map, but most are in the south. You would need to right down details for eas SSR if I am to give more detailed criticisms or suggestions. I'd check out the OTL thread for maps, as well as looking up Omniatlas at how borders changed, then decide which works best with your POD. I might also suggest showing ASSRs, especially has having them progressively disappear is great at showing how ominous things are getting.

Last edited:
upload_2018-11-9_10-2-20.png

I colored parts of a map I did, with Austria beating Prussia and being crowned Emperor of Germans (Deutschesvolk Kaiser) by acclamation in the Frankfurt Parliament. Dark Green states are either Part of Austria or ruled by a Hapbsurg or Hapsburg-something ruler.

I colored parts of a map I did, with Austria beating Prussia and being crowned Emperor of Germans (Deutschesvolk Kaiser) by acclamation in the Frankfurt Parliament. Dark Green states are either Part of Austria or ruled by a Hapbsurg or Hapsburg-something ruler.

I'm gonna need an explanation for that Saxon Federation... thing.

I'm gonna need an explanation for that Saxon Federation... thing.
Seen something where Thuringia was called Saxony or Saxon something by mistake. Not that bad in theory really, as the area was at times known as the Saxon Duchies, and was made up of the Ernestine branches of the House of Wettin. Though of course there is the issue as to why the Austrians would push to have so many small duchies on different sides to be in one federation, which would likely anger those on the Belgian and British thrones, due to their relatives no longer being deemed marriageable.
View attachment 419505

I'd suggest having the Saxons get back portions of the Province of Saxony that the Prussians took. The Austrians might also want... well, Silesia. At least more than they want those islands in the north. The Kingdom of Illyria also went much farther north than shown here, Piedmont and the rest are unlikely to think they ALL should form a SINGLE principality, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.