Keynes' Cruisers Volume 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driftless

Donor
How did the British guide the movements of a fleet of multiple capital ships and carriers? I had read Bornemann's "The Admirals" a short while back and the reference was made to US fleet exercises in the late 20's, where the US first experimented with keying off the movements of the carriers, rather than the battleships. (Turning into the wind as needed and adjusting course from there). The first exercises had some predictable chaos, but it made more sense for keeping the unity of the whole fleet.

How did the British guide the movements of a fleet of multiple capital ships and carriers? I had read Bornemann's "The Admirals" a short while back and the reference was made to US fleet exercises in the late 20's, where the US first experimented with keying off the movements of the carriers, rather than the battleships. (Turning into the wind as needed and adjusting course from there). The first exercises had some predictable chaos, but it made more sense for keeping the unity of the whole fleet.
As far as I'm aware the RN had the carriers control fleet movement. Though it tended to be the BCs with them due to speed.

I'm guessing if they linked up in the Timor Sea, the target is probably somewhere close by. At this point, any major landing force probably doesn't amount to much more then a division or so. Anything corps sized or larger would require more transports and troop ships then there are warships. A lot of the units that have recently been in combat are also going to still need a few months to rest and retrain after the meatgrinder of Java.

The only US force off the top of my head that can probably fight right now would be the 1st Marine Division since Tarawa and Makin are secure, and Guadalcanal turned into a sideshow.

As this is the first joint offensive between the two Allied fleets, I'm guessing they aren't planning to tackle anything too extreme either. From our POV things are going great, but looking at it from a 1942/43 Allied perspective, the outcome is still far from certain and one or two missteps here could set them back by many months easy.

I'm guessing if they linked up in the Timor Sea, the target is probably somewhere close by. At this point, any major landing force probably doesn't amount to much more then a division or so. Anything corps sized or larger would require more transports and troop ships then there are warships. A lot of the units that have recently been in combat are also going to still need a few months to rest and retrain after the meatgrinder of Java.

The only US force off the top of my head that can probably fight right now would be the 1st Marine Division since Tarawa and Makin are secure, and Guadalcanal turned into a sideshow.

As this is the first joint offensive between the two Allied fleets, I'm guessing they aren't planning to tackle anything too extreme either. From our POV things are going great, but looking at it from a 1942/43 Allied perspective, the outcome is still far from certain and one or two missteps here could set them back by many months easy.
The ground combat element is the US 14th Corps or elements there-of

Don't know, but OTL they practised coordinating five carriers and two battleships during Operation Berzerk, the training for Pedestal.

Errolwi

Monthly Donor

Where is an airfield within fighter ferry range of Timor with enough of a port to supply fuel to the airfield? Buru? Ambon (as suggested by Dennis Dean Matta)?

Last edited:
The gist of this episode reminded me of the old "Cross of Iron" film with James Coburn and Maxmillian Schell. I saw it decades ago in the theater and I remember it as a grim (would it be any other way?) tale of the Eastern Front.

Have seen this a couple of times - different versions one censored, one not!

Story 1738
Kupang, Timor December 30, 1942

Sergeant Donahue looked up from his beer in the port city. The brew was not bad and the company was better; most of his squad, half a dozen tankers who had bailed his ass out a few times as well as a trio of entrepreneurial women. The Illinois and Massachusetts National Guard regiments had finally been pulled back to Kupang. Rumor had it that the division would be taken to Perth for a long rest and recovery period. If that was the case, Sergeant Donahue hoped that the military police had already been mobilized. He had gotten his orders to transfer back to the 182nd Infantry Regiment as they had taken a lot of casualties during the fighting and they expected drafts of replacements to eventually arrive.

He tapped the side of his beer once, and then tapped it again. The bartender tilted his head and waited for a moment. Patrick was flush; Elaine was more than supporting herself and jungle fighting was a great way to not spend money. He looked at the fifteen people around the table and nodded; the next round would be on him. He nodded and turned his head to indicate his generosity. Today was a day for enjoyment and relaxation with beer and women.

The revelry was interrupted. Another squadron of heavy bombers lumbered over the city. They were all heading north, out to sea to some target that the grunts around the table could not find on a map until they were told that it was their mission to seize that forgettable black hole of misery.

The airfields around the port were crowded. American Lightnings, Aircobras, Warhawks, and Mustangs were all available to defend both the ever expanding base structure and attack Japanese defenders. Two Dutch squadrons flying American supplied B-26s had recently arrived. They were at the same strip as an American medium bomb group flying the same machines. Slightly further south, the recently completed packed earth and steel matted strip was the home base of the rapidly expanding 5th Air Force. Two heavy bomb groups flying Liberators were on the island now, and another bomb group with Fortresses had recently arrived.

More airfields on the north coast of the island were filling up with fresh squadrons of fighters and light bombers. Older squadrons that had supported the armies marching on Dili had been worn down from weeks and months of combat. New squadrons were bedding down with veterans for a week or two to familiarize themselves with the theatre and learn to respect their Japanese opponents. Some of the rookies would learn enough to become wizened veterans.

Is it wrong that I hope those entrepreneurial women are ladies of negotiable affection, and that Patrick evens the score between him and his philandering filly?

Story 1728B
Krabi, Thailand December 23, 1942

Half a dozen minesweepers were busy clearing a path. Two old destroyers that had fought in the first Battle of the Atlantic were keeping watch on the wooden boats. Any time that they saw too much movement, their guns barked.

The Japanese and Thai observers had already reported the presence of a potential invasion force. It would not be a fatal landing; the army in Malaya had already been gushing arterial blood as the combine Australian and British armored force had done to the light infantry divisions of the southern armies what Zhukov had done to the Manchurian armies a few years ago. But a landing here would squeeze one of the few trickles of supply.

Regiments were alerted to move and by mid-afternoon, reinforcements were getting pulled from the already inadequate line of remnants and rear area battle groups facing off against the next Commonwealth push to honor the threat to their flanks and rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.