Popular misconceptions about 19th century History

President Lincoln is cited as shutting down newspapers during the war, along with jailing political opponents and journalists, and suspending habeas corpus. That also sounds authoritarian to me.
Rather a large difference between limiting a free press during a national crisis/war and limiting a free press during peacetime in order to further the cause of human chattel slavery.

My list of misconceptions:

1. Ottoman Empire failed to reform.

2. War of independences created the States in the Balkans (it was Russia, it was always Russia).

3. Every European Power had the goal to drive the Turks out of Europe (to be fair, it was probably desired as an utopia but nobody wanted the other to fill the vacuum abandoned by the Ottomans).

4. Russia with a different Czar (Constantin, longer Alexander II etc...) is destined to turn in to a constitutional monarchy.

5. Austria-Hungary is destined to lose all/most of their non-German lands.

Brunaburh

Banned
1. The Irish potato famine was a natural disaster.
2. Italian unification was inevitable and the Italian population welcomed it.
3. Southern Italy had a small brigand problem rather than a nationalist terror.

2. War of independences created the States in the Balkans (it was Russia, it was always Russia).

Hey, that’s not fair! Sometimes it was Britain!

4. Russia with a different Czar (Constantin, longer Alexander II etc...) is destined to turn in to a constitutional monarchy.

I’m almost tempted to argue the opposite—that no matter who was on the throne the nation would eventually become oppressively totalitarian.