Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this thread has gone to long without a shitpost. Here are state borders fixed.
e9EJnqH.png

Based off this map

What is this, a map for ants?

this immediately came to my mind.
giphy.gif

Huh, so that's where the joke comes from? What's the movie?

BTW, the "is this for ants?" phrase is a common joke over on SB's image threads whenever someone posts an image that's too small to see the details. In case you're wondering.

zhropkick

Banned
ZVkHvf7.jpg

Pretty average map imho but it was fun to make and hopefully somebody here has fun looking at it.

The general premise is that Constantinople ends up falling to the Arabs, presumably in 718, after which the Arabs overrun all of Anatolia and the southern Balkans (their advance is only halted by the Bulgarians). Over the course of the following centuries the former Byzantine Empire gets the Persian treatment, with its culture being Islamised but contributing a great deal to the Islamic world in turn, and its language surviving. Skip forward in time with enough handwaving to assume that the world has still industrialised by the late 20th century (to be fair, it's pretty much impossible to give a straight verdict on that from all the butterflies) and you have the Hellenic Republic, its administrative divisions put into a school textbook map for your viewing pleasure. William the Bastard was butterflied for sure so English looks a little funny.

Think of Salfia as a Khuzestan analogue filled with Levantine Arabs that spilled over the border centuries ago, Moesia/Velebusdus as majority-Azeri territories in Iran with an Azeri state as their northern neighbour (except with Islamic Bulgarians instead of Azeris of course), and the countryless, relatively-impoverished *Albanian people that would probably inevitably exist on the border between the Hellenic Republic and Servia (If OTL Byzantium couldn't assimilate them nobody's going to ITTL) as Baluchis. Along with all of that, think of the Hellenic Republic as an Islamic theodemocracy of sorts like OTL Iran.

Last edited:
ZVkHvf7.jpg

Pretty average map imho but it was fun to make and hopefully somebody here has fun looking at it.

The general premise is that Constantinople ends up falling to the Arabs, presumably in 718, after which the Arabs overrun all of Anatolia and the southern Balkans (their advance is only halted by the Bulgarians). Over the course of the following centuries the former Byzantine Empire gets the Persian treatment, with its culture being Islamised but contributing a great deal to the Islamic world in turn, and its language surviving. Skip forward in time with enough handwaving to assume that the world has still industrialised by the late 20th century (to be fair, it's pretty much impossible to give a straight verdict on that from all the butterflies) and you have the Hellenic Republic, its administrative divisions put into a school textbook map for your viewing pleasure. William the Bastard was butterflied for sure so English looks a little funny.

Think of Salfia as a Khuzestan analogue filled with Levantine Arabs that spilled over the border centuries ago, Moesia/Velebusdus as majority-Azeri territories in Iran with an Azeri state as their northern neighbour (except with Islamic Bulgarians instead of Azeris of course), and the countryless, relatively-impoverished *Albanian people that would probably inevitably exist on the border between the Hellenic Republic and Servia (If OTL Byzantium couldn't assimilate them nobody's going to ITTL) as Baluchis. Along with all of that, think of the Hellenic Republic as an Islamic theodemocracy of sorts like OTL Iran.

So Islam becomes a heretic branch of Christianity. You likely see a break between this half, and 'true' Islam. ( Arabs continue to be heavily influenced by late Roman culture and far stronger and powerful Graeco-Roman element hat see Islam breaks down and Iran breaking off into a moderately Islamic state or Zoroastrian.)

Who are the Kurdish analogues? Armenians? *Syria, *Persia, Arabia and *Greece could then be like OTL Turkey, Iran, Iraq and Syria with all of them having *Kurdish/Armenian regions. Thought that would have to be a very generous Armenia. But hey Ethnic composition could be different enough to include a Armenia plurality territory from OTL Armenia to Cilicia, thanks to butterflies.

So Islam becomes a heretic branch of Christianity. You likely see a break between this half, and 'true' Islam. ( Arabs continue to be heavily influenced by late Roman culture and far stronger and powerful Graeco-Roman element hat see Islam breaks down and Iran breaking off into a moderately Islamic state or Zoroastrian.)

Why would it? Islam didn't end up becoming a heterodox branch of Zoroastrianism IOTL. Perhaps there would be a third major branch of Islam like OTL Iranian dominated Shia and Most of the others being Sunni, with a Shia Iran Sunni Arab world and the Greek branch with a lot more emphasis on Jesus/Isa, Greek Kurans, allowance of depictions and perhaps Islamic saints. But I don't see how that is more Christian than OTL Islam.

Last edited:
Why would it? Islam didn't end up becoming a heterodox branch of Zoroastrianism IOTL. Perhaps there would be a third major branch of Islam like OTL Iranian dominated Shia and Most of the others being Sunni, with a Shia Iran Sunni Arab world and the Greek branch with a lot more emphasis on Jesus/Isa, Greek Kurans, allowance of depictions and perhaps Islamic saints. But I don't see how that is more Christian than OTL Islam.

The Islamic identity is still somewhat fluid at this point of time. So in this case, you see a sort of Sikh style fusion in Greece and Anatolia with Western 'Islam' and it being view as Christian heresy having truth. In the long term, a division between a Mediterranean-oriented and an Iran-oriented part of the Muslim world will happen, but seen as Roman-Persian dichotomy in a new Islamic guise.

Is it just me, or do most maps in anime tend to be reeeaaaallllllllllyyyyyyyyy lazy?
I think that's more of a tv series-that-doesnt-literally-evolve-around-it thing in general
Is it just me that thinks it is weird that most people in alternatehistory.com tend to be reeeaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyyyy into anime for some reason?
I don't think he understands that people who like AH are essentially the same as weeaboos.
maybe because this is an internet website full of nerds? because we live in a time where anime/japanese influence is omnipresent in many modern media like internet culture, games etc, something most nerds are into as well? It's like joining a motorbike gang and complaining about the high rate of metalheads or petrolheads. :D
Why would that be weird?
Why are people who like anime equated with "weeaboos"?
This

...also, why is weeaboo automatically associated with something bad or degenerate or something? that way it's literally a pejorative slur like redneck or yuppie or whatever, and people are regularily offended by such words

Isaac Beach

Banned

With all due respect I don’t think you should be imprinting your own designs on someone else’s scenario after the fact. They said that the Byzantines get Islamified, not that Islam becomes a Christian subsect, nor is Zoroastrianism even mentioned. To presume otherwise is kind of misrepresenting their ideas.

That being said.

Great scenario, giving the Byzantines the Persian treatment is a neat idea. I like how divergent it is, rather than just having either Muslim Ottomans or Orthodox Byzantines you went for something in between, which is very unique. And the map looks great. My only criticism is that you might’ve gone a little crazy with the crumpled paper texture.

With all due respect I don’t think you should be imprinting your own designs on someone else’s scenario after the fact. They said that the Byzantines get Islamified, not that Islam becomes a Christian subsect, nor is Zoroastrianism even mentioned. To presume otherwise is kind of misrepresenting their ideas.

That being said.

Great scenario, giving the Byzantines the Persian treatment is a neat idea. I like how divergent it is, rather than just having either Muslim Ottomans or Orthodox Byzantines you went for something in between, which is very unique. And the map looks great. My only criticism is that you might’ve gone a little crazy with the crumpled paper texture.

I'm am sorry. I do think it is a good map, and a good idea. I was only offering my own thoughts and other ideas for it. You can not fault the greater and stronger influence the region would have on the Arabs that may (And would) lead them into a diffident direction that may see a fundamentally different Islam that would break down Islam as a whole across the region and a even greater overstretch Umayyad Caliphate earlier on.

...also, why is weeaboo automatically associated with something bad or degenerate or something? that way it's literally a pejorative slur like redneck or yuppie or whatever, and people are regularily offended by such words
It was always a pejorative (from what I've read, it actually started off as a nonsense word on the Perry Bible Fellowship webcomic, before being used on 4chan as a word replacement for "wapanese," short for "white/wannabe Japanese").

I remember when it was defined as
A non japanese person who basically denounces their own culture and calls themselves japanese. They try to learn japanese through the anime they watch and usually end up pronouncing it wrong and looking like a complete idiot.

KEEP IN MIND: that a non-japanese person can like the culture, watch anime, speak the language and RESPECT THE CULTURE, while still keeping in touch with there own. Which keeps them from being a Weeaboo, japanophile, ect.
but at some point it became "anyone who dares to express interest in anything Japanese." And now you have the self-deprecating anime fans who like to "ironically" call themselves "weebs" thinking that it makes them more "self-aware," or something like that.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
THis conversation seems to be wandering away from the subject. Might want to have it wander back.

What's up with those weird borders in Mexico, Russia and South Africa? They seem to very arbitrary

Mexico was sent an equivalent version to the Zimmerman telegram by the French in WWI, and now has been divided up into territories. I don't understand the logic behind the US state's borders, so I tried to emulate it. I wasn't very successful.

I really don't know how Trotsky would have divided Turkestan, so I just reduced the bordergore in the region. It'd be great if you could stter me to a thread helping with SSR borders, as I cannot find a good one myself.

I don't actually know what I was doing with South Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.