Dominion of America: An Alternate Timeline

The American Revolution never happens, as a deal is struck to give the Thirteen Colonies more autonomy.
Then it's somewhat up in the air. It was, to my knowledge, the increased debt of France due to involvement in the American War of Independence that acted as a catalyst to Revolution, much like the Assassination of Franz Ferdinand led to WW1; it was the final straw, essentially. Because of that, it's kinda hard to figure out one way or another, as there were already plenty other reasons for rebellion. See here, I guess.

Then it's somewhat up in the air. It was, to my knowledge, the increased debt of France due to involvement in the American War of Independence that acted as a catalyst to Revolution, much like the Assassination of Franz Ferdinand led to WW1; it was the final straw, essentially. Because of that, it's kinda hard to figure out one way or another, as there were already plenty other reasons for rebellion. See here, I guess.
There'd still be unrest in France during the 1790s and 1800s (decade), as France was already a wreck, and there'd likely be wars across Europe as well, as Europe was having continental-scale wars about every 40-60 years during the 18th century. However, the American Revolution was a cause of the French Revolution in two ways, one being that the French involvement in the American Revolution bankrupted the French Crown, and the second is that the American Republican ideals inspired the French Intellectual class (although the objective of the French Revolution at first was a Constitutional Monarchy, but the Republican Faction prevailed in the end). I don't know how to handle the MASSIVE butterflies that will come with no French Revolution (cough cough Napoleonic Wars cough cough).

There'd still be unrest in France during the 1790s and 1800s (decade), as France was already a wreck, and there'd likely be wars across Europe as well, as Europe was having continental-scale wars about every 40-60 years during the 18th century. However, the American Revolution was a cause of the French Revolution in two ways, one being that the French involvement in the American Revolution bankrupted the French Crown, and the second is that the American Republican ideals inspired the French Intellectual class (although the objective of the French Revolution at first was a Constitutional Monarchy, but the Republican Faction prevailed in the end). I don't know how to handle the MASSIVE butterflies that will come with no French Revolution (cough cough Napoleonic Wars cough cough).
Yeah, I'm aware about the state of the French Kingdom following the Seven Years' War. It was a giant keg fit to burn, and the American Revolution let it. That being said, it would be fairly likely for another war to occur in Europe that would be the tipping point, especially considering that the American Revolutionary War was fought in Europe and in the Americas. I could easily see Poland becoming a catalyst for French action in Europe (maybe against Prussia or Russia?), based on France's actions during the Bar Confederation. Regardless, the potential effects on France are interesting, as the French Revolution occurred while France was in peace - the repercussions of a France in civil war during wartime is interesting and far-reaching. I'd look into it a bit more, but I could see a different, dare I say less Napoleonic, republican France rising from a period of intense civil war. But eh, that's all up to you.

Decided to look into a couple revolutionary figures during OTL's French Revolution, trying to find someone who might be able to take control over such civilly distressed times:
*Joseph Fouché, a Jacobin radical during the French Revolution and the War of the First Coalition, was described as flawed on the outset but trying to do what was right, before turning to the more cunning in 1794, marked with cruel repression of counter-revolutions.
*Marie-Jean Hérault de Séchelles, French judge and politician. Was elected as president of the National Convention several times, and aligned himself with the extreme left, and was elected to the Committee of Public Safety under the Reign of Terror. He was concerned most heavily with diplomacy at this time. Personally, he's one of my top choices if you want a functional French Republic.

Also, it's fine to help make our own graphics and such, right? I'd happily do some maps on Latin America or the Americas proper!

Anyone want to collaborate for this timeline? There's gonna be a lot going on, and I'll start a conversation to discuss it as soon as anyone says yes to collaboration (not for a few hours though, as I'm going to a movie and possibly church).

Anyone want to collaborate for this timeline? There's gonna be a lot going on, and I'll start a conversation to discuss it as soon as anyone says yes to collaboration (not for a few hours though, as I'm going to a movie and possibly church).

Yes. Surprisingly enough I'm also working on another North American TL, just that it's in its preliminary stages and the first chapter hasn't been released yet.

Ok, so what should the map look like?
A: One big ass country (U.S. and Canada combined).
B: An Eastern (America) and a Western (Columbia) country, with the continental divide being the border.
C: Several smaller countries
D: Yankee Dominion borders (U.S. + Canada without the southwest and Texas).
Note that my personal preference would be for A or B, since we already have the Yankee Dominon TL for C.

Last edited:
If we had one big ass country, I wonder it it'd annex more of Northern Mexico in an alternate Mexican-American war (or ITTL Anglo-Spanish war)? Like Chihuahua, Sonora and the Baja Peninsula, or maybe everything north of the Tropic of Cancer?

A France in which Napoleon never becomes Emperor definitely butterflies away the puppet kingdoms he set up in Holland, Spain and Italy as well as the Congress of Vienna.

Ok, so what should the map look like?
A: One big ass country (U.S. and Canada combined).
B: An Eastern (America) and a Western (Columbia) country, with the continental divide being the border.
C: Several smaller countries
D: Yankee Dominion borders (U.S. + Canada without the southwest and Texas).
Note that my personal preference would be for A or B, since we already have the Yankee Dominon TL for C.

A.

A France in which Napoleon never becomes Emperor definitely butterflies away the puppet kingdoms he set up in Holland, Spain and Italy as well as the Congress of Vienna.
A World in which the French Revolution never happens would be utterly unrecognizable, but that's what will have to be dealt with ITTL.

Here's a possibility:
The Dominion's borders are identical to those in the Yankee Dominion TL.
However, the British win a war against the Spanish (the Latin American Revolutions are butterflied) and establish two new countries: Texas and California
Texas has something similar to it's 1836 borders, except it might not have the long panhandle jutting into Colorado and Wyoming. Texas is a blend of Southern and Hispanic influences, as well as smaller contributions from the Cajuns and the Natives.
California is basically the rest of OTL's Southwestern U.S. Once again, it's culture is a mix of Anglo and Hispanic influences, except that the Anglos were mainly from the North rather than the South, and there is an additional East Asian influence.