"Our Struggle": What If Hitler Had Been a Communist?

In a totalitarian state, the concept of not being willing to sacrifice all for the state because of a pre-existing belief system is too dangerous to ignore. If anything, pacifism is a threat.

I don't think that participating in non-violent direct action or a peace march would be particularly good idea for a German citizen's health but the DAR doesn't quite believe in thoughtcrime either. I'm aiming for nuance here but I don't want to spoil too much, although I might do another sneak peak into the future soon.

Well, the different between this Hitler and OTL Hitler is that OTL Hitler, despite whining about his oppression, was coddled by the German establishment.

Hitler isn't being coddled, which means he may need to develop the skills to be a leader.

On the other hand, Mao may have been a competent militant, but he was shitty at everything. So being a competent usurper does not equal competence in governance.

Was Mao a competent militant? I was under the impression he was just good at political maneuvering/backstabbing and getting people to follow him.

Was Mao a competent militant? I was under the impression he was just good at political maneuvering/backstabbing and getting people to follow him.

Mao basically wrote the book on modern guerrilla warfare. Whatever his many other despotic faults, the man was an excellent military commander.

Mao basically wrote the book on modern guerrilla warfare. Whatever his many other despotic faults, the man was an excellent military commander.
He was also quite the poet as well.

Awesome stuff by the way Red. You've done the unthinkable and made me sympathize with Hitler. At this point, you're probably my favorite writer in this site with zepplinair and his Asian TLs at a close second.

Last edited:

He literally wrote the book on modern guerilla warfare. It's called On Guerilla Warfare. There's also another book by him on guerrilla warfare called On Protracted War.

In Anglo-American Nazi war, I think the author wanted to make the Allies win, it was his objective from the start, but realistically it would have ended in stalemate.

An anti-science genocidal dictatorship with control Europe fights the rest of the world into a stalemate despite not possessing nuclear weapons and having declared entire fields of science as "jewish"? Colour me doubtful

Awesome stuff by the way Red. You've done the unthinkable and made me sympathize with Hitler. At this point, you're probably my favorite writer in this site with zepplinair and his Asian TLs at a close second.

Thanks so much! That's really made my day. :happyblush

Admittedly I'm still a bit perplexed by the nature of the "sympathetic Hitler" viewpoint that's arisen but I've heard some very well considered takes on it and it's always uplifting to know that people put so much thought into something I've written.

An anti-science genocidal dictatorship with control Europe fights the rest of the world into a stalemate despite not possessing nuclear weapons and having declared entire fields of science as "jewish"? Colour me doubtful

I mean, it would be far easier to code the TL as an Axis wank if anything. The intent was explicitly stated as a means of getting the Nazis to exist long enough to carry out Generalplan Ost, hence you have the Soviets acting so self-destructively as to consciously lose the war, the Luftwaffe getting its house in order miraculously fast and the Allies not immediately dropping The Bomb and not even doing so when they have a large enough stockpile to knock out Germany in the one go. I don’t see how people can be annoyed that the Nazis lose eventually when they’re given such implausible levels of luck to begin with.

This timeline make me think of another premise, "What if Hitler had been a(n economic) Liberal", but it sounds boring.

This timeline make me think of another premise, "What if Hitler had been a(n economic) Liberal", but it sounds boring.

I think it’s an interesting idea and could go in many different directions. My main question would be “How?” but that question’s integral to this TL as well and I’d like to see how a “Liberal Hitler” story would go about it.

I think it’s an interesting idea and could go in many different directions. My main question would be “How?” but that question’s integral to this TL as well and I’d like to see how a “Liberal Hitler” story would go about it.
How about during the "Beer Hall Putsch" Hitler is shot in the head, the bullet doesn't fully penetrate but profoundly changes Hitler's personality.

How about during the "Beer Hall Putsch" Hitler is shot in the head, the bullet doesn't fully penetrate but profoundly changes Hitler's personality.

I feel like a complete personality overhaul would sort of contradict the premise. It would essentially render him a blank slate. Besides it’s unlikely Hitler would be able to actually get anyone to believe that his change of heart wasn’t the result of brain damage and given he’s already attempted one fascist coup I can’t see anyone willing to give him a leading position in a liberal movement.

The PoD could be him not fighting in the war at all (an injury?), and he ends up as a Zentrum politician doing that time.

Most likely answer: he gets nowhere in politics.

If I had the writing ability, one TL I could consider writing would be Hitler choosing to apprentice under that Jewish doctor he knew in his youth. He remains relatively unknow, and when WW2 comes around (under alt!Nazis) Hitler takes in a Jewish family (the Franks for maximum irony) to protect them.