Hail, Britannia

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I must wonder greatly about the atomic bombing of Shanghai and Tianjin - akin to the developments OTL that would eventually settle the final bombing locations to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, how did they settle on choosing Shanghai and Tianjin?

I've got an update about the atomic bombings, and maybe the East Asian War, up today or tomorrow. So hopefully I'll answer your questions then :)

How do elections work in China?

It would be funny if it was FPTP with like 3000 seats

I'd assumed some sort of PR representation, with seats allocated to each state/region/city based on population, for the Legislative Yuan. The president is elected for a four-year term under nationwide popular vote, with a runoff held but the two most popular candidates if none achieve 50% of the vote.

The Presidential and Legislative elections are each held every 4 years, but unlike OTL US elections, they are not held concurrently. Like the OTL French system, the presidential election is held two months before the legislative election.

Would we be able to see larger versions of the old flags for Patagonia, Philippines, and Capeland?

Of course, but the Capeland Ensign is just the OTL Blue South African Ensign.

Flag of the Realm of Patagonia (before 1982):
k6oaBQ4.png

Flag of the Commonwealth of the Philippines (before 1973):

DXf4JA7.png

China would surrender on 2 February 1946, and the country was subjected to an occupation under five zones governed by each of the principal Allied Powers.

so which are the 5 powers ITTL? UKE, France, USSR, Japan and Brazil?

Also, I assume the 5 powers are the recognized nuclear weapon states and permanent UN security council members like OTL. Which is the other non-NPT nuclear power ITTL?

Thanks :) It's good to be back. Unfortunately the return to the new school term has been a lot more hectic than usual! So this is the first free chance I've had to contribute again to this series.

But here's China for you all to enjoy :)

SNIPPITY-SNIP-SNIP​

Awesome update to an early entry! For what it's worth, I feel that Kuomintang China stands in "good stead" with the other Axis powers in terms of known activities IOTL (not that Mao's bunch is at all better in the end, of course). I have noticed on several occasions that China's alignment with Nazi Germany means a much nastier Far Eastern Front against the Soviets; which front do you think would be bloodier, the Chinese or German one? In either case, I imagine that the casualties would be eye-watering even by OTL standards :(. And then there's the death toll from the Western Allies/Commonwealth's counter-attacks and strategic bombing. Grim, but good drama/background setting!

Also side-note, given the Soviet Union's survival and alliance with the Federal Republic of China, would TTL's James Bond have a more "interesting" career/history compared to OTL?

EDIT: I also picked up on a couple things in the Chinese Civil War wikibox that grabbed my eye, namely the use of American-style designations for fighters and tanks. Is that an oversight, or a deliberate choice? If the latter, it certainly IMO makes naming schemes potentially simpler than the OTL British one (although using their "manufacturer + name" convention is fine by itself for casual use).

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Awesome update to an early entry! For what it's worth, I feel that Kuomintang China stands in "good stead" with the other Axis powers in terms of known activities IOTL (not that Mao's bunch is at all better in the end, of course). I have noticed on several occasions that China's alignment with Nazi Germany means a much nastier Far Eastern Front against the Soviets; which front do you think would be bloodier, the Chinese or German one? In either case, I imagine that the casualties would be eye-watering even by OTL standards :(. And then there's the death toll from the Western Allies/Commonwealth's counter-attacks and strategic bombing. Grim, but good drama/background setting!

Glad you liked it :D Indeed Kuomintang China was pretty nasty IOTL, and TTL's version is equally bad if not worse.

Yep, China's membership in the Axis leads to a much nastier Far Eastern Front, but I think the German invasion of the Soviet Union is probably bloodier than the Chinese one... but not by much. Oh yes, definitely quite a bloody conflict in East Asia.

Also side-note, given the Soviet Union's survival and alliance with the Federal Republic of China, would TTL's James Bond have a more "interesting" career/history compared to OTL?

Oh definitely :) Not much fleshed out with Bond ITTL though, so I can't comment on it in any great depth...

EDIT: I also picked up on a couple things in the Chinese Civil War wikibox that grabbed my eye, namely the use of American-style designations for fighters and tanks. Is that an oversight, or a deliberate choice? If the latter, it certainly IMO makes naming schemes potentially simpler than the OTL British one (although using their "manufacturer + name" convention is fine by itself for casual use).

That's an oversight... My bad :p

I'd imagine that an American-style "manufacturer + name" is used for official use, whereas the British style "manufacturer + name" convention is more common in casual use...

Members of the United Nations Security Council (31 October); UN Regional Groupings; G5 Nations

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
so which are the 5 powers ITTL? UKE, France, USSR, Japan and Brazil?

Also, I assume the 5 powers are the recognized nuclear weapon states and permanent UN security council members like OTL. Which is the other non-NPT nuclear power ITTL?

Yep, those are the "Big 5" with India and China as the next 2. All 7 have permanent seats on the Security Council, with the "Big 5" being the NPT recognised nuclear powers, whilst India and China tested their nukes after their UNSC membership and the signing of the NPT, and therefore are non-NPT nuclear powers.

90oPyaR.png

Membership of the United Nations Security Council is held by the seven permanent members and twelve elected, non-permanent members. Prior to 1966, there were six elected members, and prior to 1971 there were five permanent members, the victorious powers of the Second World War. After 1966, the number of elected members was expanded to ten, with each member holding their place on the Council for a two-year term, and half of these places contested each year.

At the UN's founding in 1945, the five permanent members of the Security Council were the Empire of Brazil, the Kingdom of the French, the Empire of Japan, the Soviet Union, and the United Empire. While the original five permanent members have in essence not changed since 1945, there has been one major seat change since then. After the reformation of the Soviet Union in 1991, the new Union of Soviet Sovereign Republics was recognised as the legal successor and maintained its position on the Security Council. France's seat was originally held by Charles de Gaulles' Provisional Government until 1946 when it passed to the French Union until 1958 when the union collapsed. France maintained its seat as there was no change in its international status or recognition, although many of its overseas possessions eventually became independent.

The five original permanent members of the Security Council were the victorious powers in the Second World War and have maintained the world's most powerful military forces ever since. They annually top the list of countries with the highest military expenditures, and they are also the only nations officially recognised as "nuclear-weapon states" under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). In 1971, the Federation of India and the Federal Republic of China were both granted permanent seats on the Security Council with veto power, as part of the detente period between Britain and the USSR, although Japan abstained from the vote on China's membership. At the same time the number of elected members was expanded to twelve, with an additional member for the Eastern and Western European groups.

Several conventions govern the election of the non-permanent members; one of the elected Commonwealth members is an African country; one of the African members is an Arab country; and the members of the Asia-Pacific group are elected one from the Middle East and one from South and East Asia. To ensure geographical continuity, a certain number of members is allocated for each of the six UN geopolitical regional groupings:
- the African Group; 12 member states, with 2 non-permanent members
- the Asia-Pacific Group; 24 member states, with 2 permanent and 2 non-permanent members
- the Commonwealth Group; 47 member states, with 2 permanent and 3 non-permanent members
- the Eastern European Group; 20 member states, with 1 permanent and 2 non-permanent members
- the Latin American and Caribbean Group; 11 member states, with 1 permanent and 1 non-permanent member
- the Western European Group; 29 member states, with 1 permanent member and 2 non-permanent members​

4L6fgA1.png

XvXv07i.png

Reform of the United Nations Security Council has been an ongoing issue since the formation of the UN in 1945, with the two key issues being the veto power held by the permanent members, and the size and membership composition of the Council. In its history the Security Council has been expanded twice, the first in 1966 with the doubling of the number of elected members, and the second in 1971 when India and China became permanent members, with full veto power, and the addition of two new elected members.

One proposed measure is to increase the number of permanent members, which, in most proposals, would include the G5 Nations; Capeland, Egypt, the European Union, Iran, and Mexico. Each of these countries have figured among the elected non-permanent members of the council since the UN's establishment. Their economic and political influence has grown significantly in the last decades, reaching a scope comparable to the permanent members, however their bids are often opposed by their economic competitors or political rivals. All of the G5 nations support one another's bids for permanent seats, as do Japan, the United Empire and the Soviet Union. India supports Capeland, and China supports Egypt and Iran, although both countries have taken neutral stances on expansion of the Security Council, while Brazil opposes the membership of Mexico. Surprisingly, France opposes the potential addition of the European Union as a permanent member, with representation at the UN, as it would undermine France's pre-eminent role with the EU and likely result in France losing its permanent seat.

OXayBWm.png

Last edited:
I feel really tempted to make a wikibox for a country in this TL, but I have no clue on where to start. Really glad this timeline has been revived though.

Also why is the Nordic union a Non-Permanent member and not a Permanent Member? (I have no idea how the UN works)

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I feel really tempted to make a wikibox for a country in this TL, but I have no clue on where to start. Really glad this timeline has been revived though.

Go for it!! The Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes thread has some good guides in it, but mostly I’ve found the way to learn is just to copy the code from an existing Wikipedia page and play around :)

Any country in particular that you are interested in? You can PM me any ideas if you want.

Also why is the Nordic union a Non-Permanent member and not a Permanent Member? (I have no idea how the UN works)

ITTL the UN Security Council is unlikely to expand the number of veto members as at present there aren’t a any potential candidates. The EU could be offered a seat, but will likely take France’s seat by 2030. Mashriq and Iran are rising powers in the Middle East, but they oppose each other’s candidacy. Egypt and Mexico are the most likely candidates for membership, but neither have the necessary geopolitical clout...

The Nordic Federation is an elected member from the Commomeelath bloc, me is therefore a non-veto member. Scandinavia does not have enough geopolitical clout, influence or military reach to warrant a permanent seat..

My god, it’s the most beautiful thing I’ve seen. Words cannot describe how much I desire, nay, pray to find myself waking up in the Kingdom of California and able to experience such a fantastical, yet beautiful world of British dominance. I want to escape the political chaos that is Washington and be able to trust in 10 Downing St. and the Prime Minister. I want to be able to watch the BBC and enjoy some Doctor Who rather than the less optimal stuff on television. I want to be able to see and experience the Commonwealth in all its glory.

I want this to be reality. And my god, even knowing that these ideas exist for everyone to read is good enough. Thank you so much for what you have done. It must have took hours of research and writing to create this, all without monetary compensation. Thank you for this.

Glad you liked it :D Indeed Kuomintang China was pretty nasty IOTL, and TTL's version is equally bad if not worse.

Yep, China's membership in the Axis leads to a much nastier Far Eastern Front, but I think the German invasion of the Soviet Union is probably bloodier than the Chinese one... but not by much. Oh yes, definitely quite a bloody conflict in East Asia.

Oh definitely :) Not much fleshed out with Bond ITTL though, so I can't comment on it in any great depth...

That's an oversight... My bad :p

I'd imagine that an American-style "manufacturer + name" is used for official use, whereas the British style "manufacturer + name" convention is more common in casual use...

Well the Far East is likely to be less densely populated than European Russia, et al. Combine that with the Nazi Lebensraum goal and notion of vernichtungskrieg...yeah, still a horror show by comparison.

This setting definitely would work for the Brosnan-era Bond more or less seamlessly, not to mention Craig's; I have to wonder what the casting would look like with such a large Empire :cool:

So for example you'd have an F-104 as an official designation but in common parlance would be the Lockheed Starfighter? And of course there's always the possibility of a designation overhaul during the Cold War looking more OTL British too.

My god, it’s the most beautiful thing I’ve seen. Words cannot describe how much I desire, nay, pray to find myself waking up in the Kingdom of California and able to experience such a fantastical, yet beautiful world of British dominance. I want to escape the political chaos that is Washington and be able to trust in 10 Downing St. and the Prime Minister. I want to be able to watch the BBC and enjoy some Doctor Who rather than the less optimal stuff on television. I want to be able to see and experience the Commonwealth in all its glory.

I want this to be reality. And my god, even knowing that these ideas exist for everyone to read is good enough. Thank you so much for what you have done. It must have took hours of research and writing to create this, all without monetary compensation. Thank you for this.

You're not the only one who has ever had that kind of dream, my friend. ;)

Waking up in Californian SLC would be the greatest thing I would ever experience.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
What ever happened

Can we see a larger version of that Soviet flag?

Of course:
SbdAOWy.png

You're not the only one who has ever had that kind of dream, my friend. ;)
Waking up in Californian SLC would be the greatest thing I would ever experience.
Even as a long-time follower of this TL, I feel this on a spiritual level

Awh, thanks :D I'm so please that you are all enjoying it!!

Well the Far East is likely to be less densely populated than European Russia, et al. Combine that with the Nazi Lebensraum goal and notion of vernichtungskrieg...yeah, still a horror show by comparison.

Exactly. The Soviets still use it in propaganda, and it was major factor in the forming of a cohesive Soviet national identity and mentality.

This setting definitely would work for the Brosnan-era Bond more or less seamlessly, not to mention Craig's; I have to wonder what the casting would look like with such a large Empire :cool:

I imagine they would still cast an English actor in the role, or at least someone who can mimic an accent. Though looking at historic proposals for bond actors, perhaps we could have John Gavin, Sam Neil, or Sam Worthington in the role at some point? Maybe Goran Višnjić...

So for example you'd have an F-104 as an official designation but in common parlance would be the Lockheed Starfighter? And of course there's always the possibility of a designation overhaul during the Cold War looking more OTL British too.

Yeah pretty much, certainly an interesting avenue to explore - but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the field.

Chinese Wars of Expansion

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
A little something to hopefully wet your appetite :p

90oPyaR.png

The Chinese Wars of Expansion were a series of distinct, but interconnected, military conflicts fought primarily between Kuomintang China and the neighbouring countries of East Asia, primarily the three empires of Japan, Manchuria and Korea but with smaller conflicts in Tibet and Mongolia. The wars were the result of a decades-long Chinese imperialist policy to expand its influence politically and militarily in order to secure access to raw material reserves, food, and labour, as well as to reclaim territory lost after the fall of the Qing dynasty in the Xinhai Revolution. Chinese military expansion began with the invasion of Manchuria on 18 September 1931, when Chinese forces crossed the border and laid siege to the capital city of Mukden, and lasted intermittently until 7 July 1937 when the Chinese invaded northern Korea, and the United Empire declared war on China, merging the conflicts into the East Asian theatre of the Second World War.

After the initial Chinese incursion into Manchuria forced the Emperor and his government into exile, forces occupied the capital Mukden (now known as Fengtian) and other major cities, and began a five month campaign to pacify and occupy the territory. By 18 February 1932, all of Manchuria was under Chinese occupation, with the Emperor in exile in Korea, and the territory was annexed to the National Republic of China. The next four years between 1932 and 1936 were characterised by small skirmishes between China and its neighbours, in small, localised engagements, particularly in Mongolia, East Turkestan, and the Yellow Sea. In 1936, using the pretence of a Tibetan dispute over monasteries in Sikang and Yushu, the Chinese army led by Ma Bufang and Liu Wenhui invaded Tibet in a two-pronged strike. The combined Chinese forces rapidly overwhelmed and defeated the Tibetan Army, forcing the Dalai Lama to flee to British India, and China subsequently annexed Tibet. Despite China's preoccupation with the northeast and the Yellow Sea, Communist held territories in Outer Mongolia were still subject to small skirmishes along their respective borders, whilst East Turkestan had erupted into a state of civil war that would only end with the signing of the Paris Peace Accords in 1953 at the end of the Chinese Civil War.

Growing Chinese aggression and naval activity around the island of Taiwan severely limited Japan's ability to exert control over their possession. When a republican revolt erupted in 1935, local Japanese forces were quick to attempt to put down the revolutionaries. The inability of the Imperial Japanese Navy to adequately support and resupply their forces on the island gave the revolutionaries added strength, and guerrilla warfare sapped much of the strength of the Japanese until they withdrew from the island in May under threat of a Chinese invasion and occupation. Days later Chinese forces swept across the island and Taiwan was annexed to the growing Chinese Empire. On 7 July 1937, the Chinese attacked the Japanese garrison in the Kwantung Leased Territory in Manchuria and crossed the border into northern Korea. The same day, the United Empire declared war on China in accordance with the terms of the Anglo-Japanese Alliance, which marked the beginning on the East Asian War.

DYPRJ4t.png

Last edited:
States of the Federal Republic of China

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
By the way, how is the Soviet Union? I remember seeing something about Malenkov being the next Premier after Stalin.

It successfully democratised under Gorbachev in the 1990s, but is still less free than countries like Britain and Western Europe. It's currently a semi-presidential system led by President Medvedev and Prime Minister Akhmetov.

More to come soon :p

90oPyaR.png

States, regions and municipalities are the highest-level Chinese administrative divisions, also known as first-level administrative divisions. China is divided into 26 such divisions; classified as 18 federated states, 4 autonomous regions, and 4 municipalities, each of which is divided into prefectures, districts, cities and municipalities. Under the 1947 Constitution, which came into force in 1953, China is a composed of a number of federated states that hold governmental jurisdiction over a defined geographic area, which each sharing its sovereignty with the Chinese federal government. Due to this shared sovereignty, Chinese citizens are free to move between states and all citizens are free to reside in any state they choose. State governments are organised along presidential republican systems, with a unicameral legislature and an elected executive governor. The autonomous regions have significantly more powers reserved to them, compared to the other states and municipalities. The federal government's ability to influence and legislate on matters reserved to the states is severely limited under the constitution, which was modelled on the Texan semi-presidential system and the British imperial confederal system.

gN22Jyh.png

It successfully democratised under Gorbachev in the 1990s, but is still less free than countries like Britain and Western Europe. It's currently a semi-presidential system led by President Medvedev and Prime Minister Akhmetov.

More to come soon :p

90oPyaR.png

States, regions and municipalities are the highest-level Chinese administrative divisions, also known as first-level administrative divisions. China is divided into 26 such divisions; classified as 18 federated states, 4 autonomous regions, and 4 municipalities, each of which is divided into prefectures, districts, cities and municipalities. Under the 1947 Constitution, which came into force in 1953, China is a composed of a number of federated states that hold governmental jurisdiction over a defined geographic area, which each sharing its sovereignty with the Chinese federal government. Due to this shared sovereignty, Chinese citizens are free to move between states and all citizens are free to reside in any state they choose. State governments are organised along presidential republican systems, with a unicameral legislature and an elected executive governor. The autonomous regions have significantly more powers reserved to them, compared to the other states and municipalities. The federal government's ability to influence and legislate on matters reserved to the states is severely limited under the constitution, which was modelled on the Texan semi-presidential system and the British imperial confederal system.

gN22Jyh.png
I don't follow this timeline very closely, but that's a very convergent Hebei. Is there a reason for this?