Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone interested in working on a mini-TL with an emphasis on wikiboxes, with most of the writing being in headline format? It’d be a bit implausible and focused on 80s-90s US politics with a certain, unique populist candidate.
Maybe...

Alright, I am bored and want to do something, let's talk.

Last edited:
Fine Gael approached legendary poet Seamus Heaney to run for President of Ireland in 2011. He wanted a cross-party nomination if he were to run, and so talks failed.

But what if they hadn't?

8a9vhF9.png

Why Gerry as opposed to Marty?

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/a-giant-sucking-sound-a-president-perot-tl.208277/

My sig comes from a rather hilarious exchange on page 62 back in 2013, we were so naive back then......

I remember reading an article in my school paper back in 2011 about how a Trump presidency could happen. I laughed it off, but I guess the kid who wrote it was going places.

That timeline also predicted Brexit as well, though it's quite different than the one that happened in OTL (and the Brits eventually return to the EU seven years after leaving).

Y'know, I see way too many wikiboxes featuring Paul Wellstone, but none of them actually have him winning. That really salts my apples. Allow me to remedy this.

kkPacL4.png

As the result of a much poorer economic stimulus in the wake of 9/11, Wellstone manages to narrowly win over the incumbent Bush, which he lambasts for pushing America into yet another batch of wars they probably could never get themselves out of. Halfway through his second term he suffers the debilitating complications of his Multiple Sclerosis and is subsequently largely confined to a wheelchair for the remainder of his time in office.

Last edited:
Y'know, I see way too many wikiboxes featuring Paul Wellstone, but none of them actually have him winning. That really salts my apples. Allow me to remedy this.

kkPacL4.png

As the result of a much poorer economic stimulus in the wake of 9/11, Wellstone manages to narrowly win over the incumbent Bush, which he lambasts for pushing America into yet another batch of wars they probably could never get themselves out of. Halfway through his second term he suffers the debilitating complications of his Multiple Sclerosis and is subsequently largely confined to a wheelchair for the remainder of his time in office.
Did he also happen to gain telepathic abilities and found a school for children with special powers?

Repost from my thread. Something I made for fun while i was tired. The cuneiform is (hopefully) Akkadian and Sumerian. Re-uploaded because I forgot to fix two things.
narrakian-empire-png.416854

StuGium

Banned
So this is I guess another "Democratic Party is conservative/new deal coalition not dead/dixiecrats control the party" thing but I swear I tried a little bit. Also this is a loose sequel to the New Federalist infobox I made.

The Democratic Party: The Party of the Working American!

screencapture-en-wikipedia-org-w-index-php-2018-10-28-20_35_26.png

The Democratic Party, born out of a discontent with the elitists of the Virginian Aristocracy that had controlled America up until the era of Jackson, is the dominant party in the United States.

Forging together the Dixiecrats in the south and the Catholic Immigrant workers of the North, the Party of Jackson, Bryan and Roosevelt soared to new heights in political power remaking the very foundations of America and lead the noble eagle into victory against the Godless Nazis, the Upstart Chinese and the Greedy Egyptians.

The central tenant of the Democratic Party that allowed it to succeed is the big tent aspect of it, allowing for many different viewpoints on fiscal, foreign, domestic, and especially on civil rights policy. Really, the only thing keeping it together throughout the mid 20th century was to not ruin the decades long run of good fortune and the new "era of good feelings" as the democrats stood tall whilst the splintered Republican parties fought for every inch of territory.

But the turbulence of the 70s and the numerous little crisis's occurring in the south that were getting too far escalated to be simply solved by handing the state government a boatload of cash and telling them to Shut up while it's still election season! caused the democratic party to fall from grace and lose in a massive landslide to the New Federalists, Libertarians, and American Nationals in 1980. And with the wild popularity of Bush, The Democratic Party would spend decades in the wilderness only hanging on in the deep south and the centers of industry in the now decaying rust belt. But a noble son from the true heartland of the democrats came to save them from an ignoble death.

And that man was H U M P H R E Y.

screencapture-en-wikipedia-org-w-index-php-2018-10-29-17_52_11.png

Finally, chapter six of Decision 2012
----------------------------------------

For years South Carolina’s governor had been receiving buzz about a potential bid for the presidency. Why not, his admirers would say. Mark Sanford’s conservative credentials were beyond dispute. Although something of an establishment Republican, Sanford enjoyed the loyal support of his state’s evangelical community, which was more than could be said for some of his potential nomination rivals. Even more attractive was the man’s personal story; born to loving parents in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Sanford knew what it was like to live through challenges. Despite the fact his family was middle-class, they often slept in the same room in order to conserve electricity. Fast forward to the 2010 midterms and he had become one of the most powerful and influential Republicans in the country. Six years as Congressman for South Carolina’s 1st congressional district, seven as the state’s governor, and the recently elected RGA chairman, Sanford had amassed a large number of financial and political contacts from Massachusetts to California. In Sanford conservatives saw a candidate who had consistently won on the conservative doctrine.

Yet the fifty-year old politician, with folksy charm and salt and pepper hair and blue-collar appeal, ended 2010 expressing his concern over a potential run. What about the impact on his family and their privacy? His kids would get hounded by ravenous journalists looking for a story. What about the other candidates? He was on his way out as governor of his state, and possessed little actual income, so how would his family make ends meat? While he was governor of the state which would hold the second primary of the season, a state which had correctly chosen the eventual GOP nominee for decades, South Carolina was still only one contest. Could he survive Iowa and New Hampshire, or would Romney’s money advantage wipe him off the map? Worse, what if he lost South Carolina to the likes of Huckabee, Barbour, or Bush? A defeat in his home state would certainly end his presidential hopes, and likely any future plans for higher office in the future. What about John Kasich? Was he going to jump into the race?

Kasich? Long-time campaign confidant Tom Davis couldn’t believe his ears. The former VP was still radioactive thanks to his association with Fred Thompson. Mark Sanford shouldn’t be afraid of a guy like that. The Ohioan didn’t have the balls his guy did. Not even close.

The skepticism shocked his inner circle and friends. What was wrong with their guy? Why was he making so many excuses? He was adored by grassroots conservatives and had already begun receiving expressions of support from Dave Nalle and the Republican Liberty Caucus. Not the highest profile group, but still. Even “Draft Sanford” Facebook groups began popping up, although quickly dismissed by the governor as the work of well-meaning supporters. There was clearly water in the well, and aides just couldn’t understand why Sanford wasn’t being more proactive. Calls were made by Karl Rove, George W. Bush and Fred Thompson’s political hatchet man, along with Bush and Thompson themselves, asking Sanford to at least consider making a run for it. Leaving the nomination to be a fight between Romney and Huckabee would bitterly divide the party and could even allow the Democrats to keep the White House. Sit down with your family, asked Bush. Go through the positives and negatives. Be honest with them and yourself; would the country be better off with you as President of the United States, or one of the other potential candidates? Deep down Sanford knew the answer to that question. Huckabee was little more than a Fox News talking head. Romney was a silver-spooned elitist. Santorum was despised by almost everyone. McIntosh was a good man, but lacked the charisma. Crist wasn’t even a fucking conservative for crying out loud. But the spotlight and attention concerned the South Carolinian.

Everyone had skeletons in their closet, including Sanford. Boy did he. If he could keep them away from the nosey eyes of the press, he might be able to accomplish some real good for the country. Yeah. It was for the good of the country. The press couldn’t find everything about a man. He knew plenty of colleagues who had managed to keep their secrets and personal lives away from the news. Sanford could do the same. For the sake of the country, he had to run. But first, he needed a vacation. Time to think everything out carefully. Spend some time with his family. Maybe bolster his foreign policy credentials a little bit, and remind people that as the governor of a state he wasn’t a push over.

So off to Argentina the Sanford family went.

When Governor Sanford returned, his psyche appeared to have returned to a state of uncertainty regarding the bid. Again, raising concerns over his family’s wellbeing. Terry Sullivan, his would-be campaign manager, gave him an ultimatum; either you decide you’re in the race, or the rest of the team and I am leaving for other campaigns. And he wasn’t kidding. He had been approached by Mike Huckabee’s staffers, and had even received a pleasant email from Mitt Romney outlining the possibility of serving as the statewide director of his South Carolina campaign. If Sanford was going to be this indecisive in mounting a presidential bid, what would happen if he became president? Fundraisers had begun to line up; endorsements were on their way; a location and an announcement address had already been mapped out.

Sanford relented. He was in. “I guess if I’m going to do this, I might as well do it right,” the governor told his inner circle.

Making the official announcement from the steps of the state’s capital building, Sanford outlined his vision of putting America first; first in job growth, first in education, first in military power, first in everything. America had spent too much time following, and not enough leading. It was exactly the type of red meat that primary and caucus goers would eat up, and polling immediately had Sanford either in first place or tied with the other frontrunners. He was going to win this race, just so long as nothing blew up in his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.