TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

Seems like the Confederates either do or don't have a half-track XD If they did it would probably be a stop-gap looking thing, very crude.
I did do a CS Half-track and also posted a pic of an inter-war French half-track. I also did a small Bren carrier type full track AFV that could also carry a few troops in a pinch.

There were several German seaplanes that four engines in tandem such as Dornier Do-18

And the Dornier Do-26.

Yep! Still news to me! Never even knew the Germans designed planes like this. Didn't even know they had seaplanes vaguely reminiscent of the PBY Catalina. You learn something new everyday!

I like the star in the green circle for army vehicles. I used a star with crossed swords for the air-force.
Going to copy these and try to use them on some pics, how small I can shrink em without losing clarity will determine what I can use and what I can't.

Yeah, I agree. You can also use the eagle and crossed swords too if manageable. The shield would work best for a helmet decal if it were simplified.

The B22 Vindicator, the plane that dropped the US first Superbomb on Newport News Virginia.

Whoa this is a big bird all right. Six engines! Seems to me like this one would be like the equivalent to the B-29 Super Fortress. I say that because this thing looks like it has the range to strike any target within the Confederacy. Must have a lot of guns around it too. I see to recognize some of the parts used here, but i can't tell.

Really nice work! Love the configuration!

The A11 "Morrell". The US first standard barrel introduced in 1948 and given the the official name of "General Morrell". After the introduction of the Morrell, light and heavy barrels were no longer developed, some new designs were drawn up and proposed but none were ever accepted into service.
Instead US barrels got bigger, more powerful and more technically advanced.

A glimpse of the future, inspired by the "Ersatz M10".

Hm, yeah. Definitely a post-war barrel. If you would have said it was a war-time tank that may have been stretching it. Definitely too "futuristic" looking for the time period the war is in, but that's just me. I'd actually place this tank farther down the timeline, say, the mid-1960s at least. I say that because of the turret used, but the hull might make that an impossibility. Again, just my opinion. Now, the name? That is perfect. a family of tanks named after Morrell would be fitting. Although I'd initially say this tank might be the equivalent to the Centurion based on the year you say it was introduced, the name to me kinda makes me think of the M48/60 Patton.

Nice work!

Last edited:
I'm kinda liking this has a possible late war or even a vietnam war analogue US uniform, taken lessons learned from SGW into account.

I'd say this looks like a post-war style uniform. In fact, I'd say this could be an analogue to the US Army's uniform in the 1980s-1990s. Maybe replacing the jack-boots with something with laces and modernizing the Fritz style helmet to make it lighter and more streamlined. The equipment is sufficiently modern enough to me that it would definitely be a post war look far down the timeline.

The artist also did this one, who does kind of looks like a modern US soldier if you take out the SS symbols.

Yeah. Post-war for sure. Very post-war, definitely a 21st Century look. The body armor and optical gear used here just screams 21st Century at me. Way too advanced looking for a post-war uniform in the 20th Century.

So I've seen some talk of the US Army in TL-191 adopting a PASGT-style helmet. I don't remember who mentioned it exactly, but know I heard it somewhere.

Anyway, I think that's fine since the PASGT helmet does resemble the Fritz style German helmet of WWII. The issue I have with it is that it might be too modern a design. The shape, the material its made of, all of it would be more like a post-war design to me, not so much a war-time helmet. Again that's just me and I know the talk was mostly based around the "look" of the helmet. Using a straight copy of a PASGT is just not my cup of tea.

... hoooowever, if y'all are looking for something very, very similar to the PASGT but a vintage WWII look and design, even made from period materials, then I got a candidate here that I just found.

Its the Spanish M21 Helmet, and believe its an interwar era design used in the Spanish Civil War. And if you look at it, then it bears a very striking similarity to the PASGT, just made out of steel. Its like a compromise with the M1 Helmet and the Stahlhelm. Could work for a US Army helmet for TL-191 if you're looking for something close to the PASGT.

2154479_orig.jpg

4834394_orig.jpg

MS3000.jpg

MS3000-5.jpg

I like the idea that the United States having adopted their own battle flag, inspired by their German allies.
german_empire_provisional_occupation_zone_by_alternatehistory-d5xhdti.png
Ensign.PNG

Actually with thr British, Southern and French being considered enemies for so long I could see pieces of their culture being considered inherently "unpatriotic" and even "treasonous" by the wider US. Along with the wave of German Immigration I could see the US actually being rather Germanphilic in 191. Prussian militarism, Austrian art and music, Octoberfest etc.

I like the idea that the United States having adopted their own battle flag, inspired by their German allies.

Actually with thr British, Southern and French being considered enemies for so long I could see pieces of their culture being considered inherently "unpatriotic" and even "treasonous" by the wider US. Along with the wave of German Immigration I could see the US actually being rather Germanphilic in 191. Prussian militarism, Austrian art and music, Octoberfest etc.

You think they would be Pro-German enough to adopt a battle-flag then? For what branches of the military?

One thing that seems pretty clear for the US Army in TL-191 is their arsenal of small arms. Its explicitly stated numerous times that the Army uses "Springfields", "Thompsons", and ".50 cals". From the sound of it they seem to be our timeline's very own M1903 Springfield, M1A1 Thompson, and Browning M2HB. I believe at one point a "carbine" was mentioned too, likely the M1 Carbine, but I could be wrong.

View attachment 411734

View attachment 411736

View attachment 411737

View attachment 411738

So we're looking at an arsenal here that might be roughly comparable to our timeline's US WWII arsenal. However, we'd be missing an iconic and important weapon - the M1 Garand. The Garand is not mentioned at all in TL-191 and its absence is sorely felt by US soldiers. The Springfield is a good rifle, a reliable one at that, proven in the trenches of the Great War. By the Second Great War, it is outclassed by the TAR and US soldiers feel the terrible gap in firepower.

I think that's a pretty interesting butterfly effect here. As for the why the US Military didn't develop its own semi-auto or full-auto rifle we might never truly know. Either way, unlike the Confederates, the weapons used by the US Army are comfortably familiar.

With the ITL US relations with Utah and the Mormons would the Browning designs still be in play. Also I think the reason that the US in TL 191 didn't adopt widespread semi autos in WW2 was because by that point Turtledove was just straight up copying the soviets for everything. And the Soviets were still using Mosin Nagants for the most part during the war.

View attachment 414484 View attachment 414485

I quite like the smaller one, think you could change the white field to red?

With the ITL US relations with Utah and the Mormons would the Browning designs still be in play. Also I think the reason that the US in TL 191 didn't adopt widespread semi autos in WW2 was because by that point Turtledove was just straight up copying the soviets for everything. And the Soviets were still using Mosin Nagants for the most part during the war.
Actually the Soviets had two semi-automatic rifles and it was these rifles that motivated the Germans to design their own.

40SVT41-015601.jpg

Tokarov SVT-40.

Actually the Soviets had two semi-automatic rifles and it was these rifles that motivated the Germans to design their own.

40SVT41-015601.jpg

Tokarov SVT-40.

Yes but neither saw very widespread usage by the standards of the Red Army. Most of the troops from beginning to end were using some manner of Mosin Nagant.

Yes but neither saw very widespread usage by the standards of the Red Army. Most of the troops from beginning to end were using some manner of Mosin Nagant.
Yet the Soviet TO&E called for something like a 1/3 of every division to equipped with those. Never happened for a host of reasons.

Unfortunately I don't think the Browning designs would be in this timeline. Oh sure, there's talk of a ".50 cal" gun and such used, but it cleverly omit's "'Browning' .50 cal". So we may have a different design for US LMGs and HMGs, plus pistols.

Good point about the bolt-actions. The British, Germans, Russians, Japanese, and others were using bolt-action rifles too, lets not forget. The Mosin-Nagant wasn't the only rifle in service with the Soviets too - they had the SVT-40, but was never produced in huge numbers because of the production at the time focusing on producing a known quantity - thy could make the Mosin-Nagant faster and had the means to do it already.

I guess that's what happened to the US - they may have been looking to make a new service rifle to replace the Springfield, but never got a real chance to.

I mainly chalk it up to budget cuts and the depression with the government effectively gutting the military R&D budget, up until the Pacific War and even then.

Has for infantry machine guns I'd take it they'd be using something similar to the MG-13 or MG-30 during SGW.
maxresdefault (1).jpg
1200px-1671_-_Salzburg_-_Festung_Hohensalzburg_-_Österreichisch_leichtes_Maschinengewehr.JPG

Also any chance the US would have used female soldiers during the war, same has the Soviets with some rather renowned female snipers, pilots and tank drives.

Didn't a lot of them get captured in the first weeks after Barbarossa, leading to the Red Army gearing back down to the Mosin-Nagant?

Yeah, a lot of factors were at play for the rifle not being used as much as the Mosin-Nagant. It was there of course, and it made an impression on the Germans enough to influence their own gas-operated designs, but it was a number of factors.