2018 Presidential Election

Since Petrelli was a character in Heroes and this was a pretty daft instance of TV show cross-overing - I suggest the casting is absolutely fine and we should just pretend there never was a Representative Petrelli.

Considering Petrelli was mentioned numerous times in the old thread, I think that's a bit of over-kill.

I'm in favor of re-casting Petrelli as his Heroes co-star Milo Ventimiglia both to preserve the in-joke and also to not require me to change the House results too much.

BBC News

Monday, October 8th 2018

BREAKING: Zahavy rushed to hospital, appears to have suffered massive stroke

Prime Minister Efraim Zahavy has been rushed to a hospital after reportedly suffering a stroke while at his residence in Tel Aviv. Preliminary reports say that the prime minister was unconscious when he arrived at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center and that he is in critical condition. The 85 year-old prime minister, who has led Israel for 12 of the past 15 years, had stated his intention to retire early next year to allow his Likud party to pick a new leader in time for the upcoming elections to the Knesset (Israel's parliament).

Presidents Umar Hastan of Palestine, Ben Sawahili of Jerusalem and Glen Allen Walken of the United States have reportedly been in close contact with Israeli authorities after Zahavy's collapse. The Israeli cabinet is will be meeting within the hour to formally designate Minister of Internal Security Gilad Doron as acting prime minister.

Last edited:

mspence

Banned
World News Network

Independence Vote Carries Majority In Xinjiang

Breaking News-Hong Kong-Reports from independent media sources indicate that a pro-independence referendum, popularly known in the region as "Chi-exit", has been passed with a majority, according to the United Independence Coalition, a loose union of various groups led by the Uyghur majority. The referendum, which had gained support through rallies over the past several weeks, was finally voted upon despite official opposition and warnings from Beijing.

"Today marks an historic moment for all the people of Xinjiang, as they have worked together for their mutual independence and self-determination," group leaders said in Urumqi, the region's capitol city. The territory has long been a point of contention between India and China, as well as Russia, as the region has a large Russian minority that has increased since the breakup of the Soviet Union.

Chinese officials were mostly silent on the referendum, which is not seen as legally binding by the Chinese government. Chinese defense ministers would not confirm or deny reports that PRC troops were moving towards the area, dismissing concerns about any government response by calling the movements "standard exercises."
________

I really haven't seen much on China, so here's a potential October Surprise :)

World News Network

Independence Vote Carries Majority In Xinjiang

No offense, but this would never happen. The PRC is a highly authoritarian regime that IRL is holding tens of thousands of Uyghurs in reeducation camps and has such draconian measures such as forcing every car in Xinjiang to have a GPS installed and DNA collected from every person between 12 and 65. Nothing that's either show canon, or that's been elaborated in this thread or its predecessor would point to the PRC ever letting any vote that they don't control, much less one that potentially could jeopardize its standing internationally regarding control of Xinjiang, ever occurring outside of places like Macau or Hong Kong.

BBC News

Tuesday October 9th, 2018

Zahavy comatose, Acting PM Doron addresses media

Israeli Prime Minister Efraim Zahavy, who suffered what experts say is a massive stroke, has fallen into a coma according to acting prime minister Gilad Doron. Doron addressed the Israeli public early this morning and said that the prime minister was unconscious when he arrived at Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center late last night. "The outstanding work of the physicians has saved his life," Doron told the assembled reporters. "But his doctors have informed the cabinet that the prime minister has entered a comatose state. They advise us that it is too early to tell when he will awaken or if he has suffered any neurological damage."

Zahavy, 85, has been prime minister since 2009, having served an earlier term from 2003 to 2006. He is Israel's longest-serving prime minister since David Ben-Gurion and has cemented his place with Ben-Gurion among Israel's greatest leaders for his negotiation and signing of the Ankara Agreement that largely ended the decades-long conflict between Israel and Palestine. Zahavy previously indicated he would step down prior to the Knesset (parliament) elections due next year to give his Likud party time to pick a new leader.

Doron, who serves as Minister of Internal Security and who has deputized for Zahavy in recent years, said that there have been no talks of moving up either the election to replace Zahavy as Likud's leader or the scheduled Knesset election. According to Israel's Basic Law, if Zahavy is not able to return to his duties before 100 days have passed (January 17), he will be declared "permanently incapacitated" and Doron will have to form a new government in order to lead the country until the election.

upload_2017-2-8_14-55-36-png.307359

Tuesday October 9th 2018

Second Presidential debate moved to Stony Brook University, Long Island

The Commission on Presidential debates has confirmed that the second Presidential debate next Monday night will now be held at Stony Brook University, Long Island, New York. The move was required following a fire at Hofstra University last Thursday.

A statement from the CPD thanked "Stony Brook for agreeing to host the debate at short notice" and that the change of venue had been swiftly agreed with the Shallick and Seaborn campaigns.

Tuesday October 9th 2018

Four Weeks from Election Day
Seaborn v Shallick v Straus
genusmap.php

Popular Vote
Shallick & Hunter 46% (-1)
Seaborn & Hollis 45% (+1)
Straus & Buckner 5% (n/c)

Undecided 4% (n/c)

1% swing from Shallick to Seaborn since September 25th poll
Electoral College
Shallick & Hunter 230 ev (-7 ev)
Seaborn & Hollis 192 ev (+13 ev)
Toss-Up 116 (-6 ev)

States Moving
Virginia from Toss-up to Seaborn

Oregon from Shallick to Toss-up

Thursday October 11th 2018

Linda Denham gives nightmare performance in Tennessee Gubernatorial debate

Linda Denham, the wife of current Governor Shane Denham gave what all pundits and polls are proclaiming as a "nightmare performance" and a "slow motion car crash" in her debate last night with Democrat Terrance Kline, the Mayor of Jackson.

Shane Denham who is term limited this year had come under increased fire for saying he would be a "great back seat driver" for his Wife as a Governor at a campaign event and a TV interview in the last week, implying that he would still be Governor in all but name. Linda Denham who has no pervious political experience showed that during the debate. She entered the debate on average only six points ahead of Mayor Kline, who was virtually unknown state wide, before winning the Democratic nomination.

The first question to Mrs Denham was one she would be different to her Husband and to example his "back seat driver" comments, she stumbled badly, implying that it would be a "co-Governorship " and she would appoint his as her Chief of Staff. Mayor Kline was careful not to appear sexist or bullying but he replied with humour saying he had "the hardest job of any candidate in America, I am running against the current Governor and his wife".

Mrs Denham was badly briefed and was clearly out of her depth, she failed to know how many where currently unemployed in the state and even the price of Milk, she looked etlist, and out of touch. Kline looked reasonable and well prepared, but at times he used the old Napoleonic saying "it's bad manners to interrupt when your enemy is making a mistake".

The Democrats will now see a real chance of making a Tennessee a surprise pick-up on November 6th.

Last edited:
nbs.com, Friday October 12th

Seaborn Team Deny Pulling Resources From Ohio As Presidential Race Enters Final Strait

The campaign of California Senator Sam Seaborn pushed back hard this morning on claims that they were abandoning Ohio and effectively conceding the key bellwether state to Republican Henry Shallick.

In an early morning press release the campaign insisted that despite consistently trailing Shallick in polling in the Buckeye State that they still intended to make significant investment and said that they believed that “Ohio’s 18 electoral votes could still go either way”.

The release came in response to suggestions in local newspapers that Seaborn’s team had pulled ads and had rescheduled planned appearances by key national figures. The campaign however pointed out that the Senator is still planning on attending a joint rally with Governor Charlie Tate this Thursday.

The rumours come amid suggestions of increasing rancour in the Seaborn campaign as some analysts suggest their path to victory is closing fast. On Capitol Beat this morning former Indiana Governor Jack Buckland suggested that “they aren’t getting enough traction where they need to, Ohio is gone and Shallick is bombarding Florida with money and ads – if he wins there I don’t see how Senator Seaborn wins the Presidency.”

A number of key battleground states are increasingly looking key to victory. Shallick looks to be emerging as the favourite in Florida but Seaborn is polling increasingly well in Pennsylvania – a state he spent last weekend in. Governor Shallick is planning a sweep through Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin this weekend – his campaign believe that Florida, Minnesota and Colorado is there most likely path to victory. Insiders believe that Nevada is all but lost despite it’s toss-up status.

nbs.com, Friday October 12th

Seaborn Aide Reveals Potential Cabinet Picks

In a moment that Seaborn Campaign aide Grace D’Amato will likely live to regret the world got a sneak peak at some of the names that the California Senator is considering for his cabinet should he be successful in November.

Ms D’Amato was arriving at campaign headquarters in Orange County but had seemingly forgotten that she was carrying the document that was clearly visible on photographs taken by the press pool outside the building.

On the note candidates for Secretary of State were most visible with former UN Ambassador Nancy McNally, former National Security Advisor Kate Harper and Bob Slattery all listed. Washington Senator Andrew Howard was listed under potential Energy Secretaries, Campaign Chief CJ Cregg was mentioned as a potential Secretary of Defence alongside Brian Cambridge, the former Democratic Presidential candidate, who served in President Walken’s cabinet. Illinois Senator Mitch Bryce seems to have been earmarked as Treasury Secretary as he was the only name listed for that role.

Sources close to the campaign denied that this was an official list saying that “Ms D’Amato was speculating – she has no involvement in cabinet selection” adding that “the Senator is focused on winning an election, he’s doesn’t have time to focus on hypothetical future discussions”.

I don’t think CJ is qualified to be confirmed as Secretary of Defense, even if she is brilliant. Kate Harper would be a much better choice for Secretary of Defense.

I don’t think CJ is qualified to be confirmed as Secretary of Defense, even if she is brilliant. Kate Harper would be a much better choice for Secretary of Defense.
If Sam is dead-set on giving CJ a cabinet-level position then it should be Ambassador to the UN. She's worked with the UN before, when she helped draft a Security Council resolution to stop a humanitarian crisis in Sudan.

abc.com, Friday October 12th

Shallick Team Hit Out At Seaborn’s “Bartlet Re-hash” cabinet suggestions

Republican nominee Henry Shallick took aim at his opponent Sam Seaborn after an aide for the California Senator apparently leaked potential cabinet picks for a Seaborn presidency.

Shallick, appearing at a rally in Beloit, Wisconsin said the note made it clear that the Democrats hadn’t moved on from the Bartlet era and represented a return to the same failures of that administration.

The former Governor of Missouri told a packed rally that “the names my opponent is touting for his cabinet show you what he’s all about - more Bartlet, more Santos, more of the same old faces that wrecked our economy, took us into disastrous wars in Kazakhstan and Gaza, and drove a radical liberal agenda into every corner of American life.”

The leak has been strongly denied by by the Seaborn campaign who claimed the note, visible as an advisor arrived at their headquarters in Orange County was nothing more than “speculation:.

If Sam is dead-set on giving CJ a cabinet-level position then it should be Ambassador to the UN. She's worked with the UN before, when she helped draft a Security Council resolution to stop a humanitarian crisis in Sudan.

Even that I would be hesitant to give. Commerce or Labor would Ben the only ones that I could see maybe going for CJ, mainly because they are given away like candy to strong supporters of the President-elect (granted it is typically given to an investment banker or somebody with a background in finance or economics, which CJ does not have). At the end of the day I don’t think CJ is qualified enough to be appointed to any cabinet-level post but I could see her maybe taking over the DNC, Planned Parenthood, or EMILY’S List (of course only the first one can be provided by Seaborn).

Last edited:
Even that I would be hesitant to give. Commerce or Labor would Ben the only ones that I could see maybe going for CJ, mainly because they are given away like candy to strong supporters of the President-elect (granted it is typically given to an investment banker or somebody with a background in finance or economics, which CJ does not have). At the end of the day I don’t think CJ is qualified enough to be appointed to any cabinet-level post but I could see her maybe taking over the DNC, Planned Parenthood, or EMILY’S List (of course only the first one can be provided by Seaborn).
I could see EMILY's List, considering she worked for them before. But I agree that CJ shouldn't be in the Cabinet. Maybe she could be a special advisor, like Leo after he recovered from the heart attack, but I don't want to see her in the Cabinet. The only choice I agree with on the alleged Seaborn list is Nancy McNally for State.

I could see EMILY's List, considering she worked for them before. But I agree that CJ shouldn't be in the Cabinet. Maybe she could be a special advisor, like Leo after he recovered from the heart attack, but I don't want to see her in the Cabinet. The only choice I agree with on the alleged Seaborn list is Nancy McNally for State.
All of the choices for State are solid, but Harper is better at Defense IMHO.

Saturday October 13th 2018

Tennessee GOP Party Chair "I can't vote for Denham"

Jim Kendall, The Chairman of the Republican Party in Tennessee said he "can't vote" for his parties gubernatorial candidate Linda Denham.

"I said this would happen during the primaries, I supported Mike Barrow (Leader of the State Senate) for a reason, he was our best candidate, but Governor Denham was set on pushing his wife forward and giving himself a third term, I just can't vote for her".

Mrs Denham's nightmare performance in the debate with her Democratic opponent Mayor Terrance Kline, has now seen Kline jump to an average of a six point lead, a swing of six points to him since the debate.

The Denham campaign said in a press release on Saturday morning that the election was more than just about a "single debate" and that "voters needed to look at Mayor Kline's record and his policies which would damage all the success achieved by Governor Denham".

Some photos from the campaign:

vR5CZpv.png

Republican vice-presidential nominee Jack Hunter speaking at a rally (Photo by Ed Helms)

NJu1lDw.png

California Senator Nicole Kershaw gives a speech while stopping by a Seaborn campaign office (photo by Natalie Portman)

2TYsRYgl.png

Green Party presidential candidate Haydn Straus smiles at a campaign appearance (photo by Harrison Ford)

Last edited: