Simple discoveries that would radically change ancient times or middle ages?

Marc

Donor
As I noted in a similar thread very recently: Optics. Very feasible, utterly transformational. Within a handful of centuries human civilization is different down to the bones.

A earlier spread of paper from China to Europe would transform the Roman Empire, it would allow easier spread of information, improve the Roman bureaucracy and allow the Roman Empire to easier control its territory.

Earlier blast furnaces and heavy ploughs being introduced to Europe would result in population explosion north of the Alps.

elkarlo

Banned
The issue with canning is it requires alot of prerequisites on the ground: mass production of tin, in particular. Pre-deep mining and in the Bronze Age of all times (Where you need to tie down loads of tin in alloys) you aren't going to have the resources at a low enough price to make it viable on a large enough scale to make a noticable impact. Jarring though could work, especially if you use it for pickling. Is there a good vegetable or fruit that both pickles well and maintains it's vitimean content while being easy to grow en-mass?
Yeah, more jarring than canning. Caning would be ASB pre 1830s or so imho.

A earlier spread of paper from China to Europe would transform the Roman Empire, it would allow easier spread of information, improve the Roman bureaucracy and allow the Roman Empire to easier control its territory.

This! Paper is a hundred times more necessary to the spread of information than the printing press.

As I noted in a similar thread very recently: Optics. Very feasible, utterly transformational. Within a handful of centuries human civilization is different down to the bones.

Given how glass blowing is an art form since antiquity, I could see this being plausible, even if it takes them a while to understand the advanced things

Earlier blast furnaces and heavy ploughs being introduced to Europe would result in population explosion north of the Alps.

Paper absolutely. Furthermore, it would change Arabia and possibly North Africa since their written language would see more usage and possibly change.

The right to left writing style was a quirk because of using tablets if I recaall correctly so perhaps Arabic and other languages would become left tonrifht?

Yeah, more jarring than canning. Caning would be ASB pre 1830s or so imho.
1830? try 1730, now Seriously Canning was invented in 1809 By Nicolas Appert using Mason Jars and Wax seals, that are no more difficult to do in 1730 than in 1830
I mean he used this
Boutappertcolljpb.jpg

Now metal Canning was perfectioned by the English based in the French Example in 1811 using wrought iron and done the cans on hand, a low process, but one you could do with the technological level of Europe in 1750-ish

The problem with early canning was the solder made from a tin and lead based alloy. Speaking of lead: an earlier discovery of the toxicity of lead could have far-reaching consequences.

According to GURPS, you need a very specific mixture of the three parts. So, not that easy.
Sorta true. You need a specific mixture of parts, but those ratios can be refined and made better over time. There isn’t just one ratio. Cannons and muskets used different mixtures for instance.

Kinda. But being able to can things thay have vitamin c in particular woukd be great. No scurvy even in winter. Woukd help health and all that. I dunno, being able to store food for up to three years is revolutionary , esp non grains and legumes
That's what sauerkraut and other forms of lactofermented vegetables were traditionally used for: extended storage, improved taste, and increased vitamin content. Also, canning destroys a significant amount of vitamin C.

or some sort of optical telegraphy,e.g a semaphore system or something similar would be easiest.
Related to that, actual telegraph code.
Once a code is developed for your alphabet you can send complex messages with just two signals(dot dash), or one turned on/off for a variable time.

Or did you mean that instead of the multiple position type of semaphore?

Also, canning destroys a significant amount of vitamin C.

About half of them in fact. That would still be better than none though.

Diet can also be part of that however, since the best form of fruits and vegetables (raw) iirc weren’t really eaten often.

D
Did nobody think about rational philosophy? It would have helped them immensely and would have unlocked a lot of Science and given them immense capabilities when the population of the World was still low. 99% of the people in the Mediaeval ages were fundamentalists.
De rerum natura

Yeah in the High Middle Ages, I'm thinking more like getting the Romans to actually sit down and learn how to economics.

For that they would have to abandon Roman numerals, because they were one of the biggest barriers to the development of higher mathematics as anything other than addingor subtracting quickly becomes a pain in the [Insert random anatomical part].

For that they would have to abandon Roman numerals, because they were one of the biggest barriers to the development of higher mathematics as anything other than addingor subtracting quickly becomes a pain in the [Insert random anatomical part].
Yeah perhaps they could adopt Persian numerals.

elkarlo

Banned
That's what sauerkraut and other forms of lactofermented vegetables were traditionally used for: extended storage, improved taste, and increased vitamin content. Also, canning destroys a significant amount of vitamin C.
True it does and pickled vegetables do hold vit c and canning destroyes it. But jarring woukd allow for other items to be preserved and allowing for better nutrition overall

elkarlo

Banned
1830? try 1730, now Seriously Canning was invented in 1809 By Nicolas Appert using Mason Jars and Wax seals, that are no more difficult to do in 1730 than in 1830
I mean he used this
Boutappertcolljpb.jpg

Now metal Canning was perfectioned by the English based in the French Example in 1811 using wrought iron and done the cans on hand, a low process, but one you could do with the technological level of Europe in 1750-ish
Ok very nice. I mean metal canning on an industrial like level. Which I thibk wouldn't be a viable option in the 1700s. I think it'd be a luxury. Like the wealthy enjoying some meat or fruit out of season.