Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Beach

Banned
The most fair political map of Oceania.
the_most_fair_political_map_of_the_oceania_by_sera_fim-dcohc28.png

You son of a bitch. /Jk

Hilarious. That’s a fun thing to wake up to.

A more intense business cycle in the US and inept and corrupt presidents leave the working class in dire straits. A populist party manages to use racial politics ("the immigrant laborers are being imported by capitalists to undermine the American Worker") to get themselves close to the White House, taking over several state houses and becoming kingmaker in Congress. The Supreme Court, investigating some cases of voter intimidation rule the elections unconstitutional and dismiss the populists from power. This sparks riots across the United States. California in particular sees a massive amount of violence towards its Asian population, devolving into state-wide chaos. The Communists, a particularly organized and at the time decently armed faction, take the opportunity to launch the revolution. It becomes a bloody civil war, with the Communists v. the US Army, and the populists at various levels of government v. establishment political groups at various levels. The Communists, trying to gin up support and vying for support wherever they can gather, start flirting with the idea of a 'Land for Americans' free of robber barons, corrupt politicians, and those (non-white) immigrants.

When the dust settles and the Communists are actually controlling the mighty United States, the betrayals start. Despite of, or rather, because of their valiant fight in the South against the Klan, African-American communists were rounded up and deported to Africa on penalty of death. It became agreed upon by the highers up that the white and black worker would do best if they remained separated. Indians who heroically resisted the oppressive US army were once again forced onto reservations, and their leaders either exiled or left with acute lead poisoning in a ditch somewhere. Across the board, the vision of communism in America was a segregated one. Leaders of the New Organized Colored Communes (NOCCs) were hand picked by the Party Chairman, with democracy discouraged amongst the NOCC inhabitants.

The New Economic Program is seeing some bookish types overseeing 'scientifically sound' agricultural methods, and a punch-card system is now what determines the value of the work you do each day. Some recent communist converts have some disturbing ideas about who has the capacity to live in a communist society, mostly looking at the black and Jewish NOCCs. Joseph Stanley is the head of this faction, and though he's an ambitious young man, he's still a fresh-off the boat from St. Kitts and Nevis. His fervent nationalism is not to be ignored either. He wishes to make America great, and it seems no one could stop him...

*snip map*

The Height of League of Nation power post-Monrovian Wars

Well.....on one hand, this got a decent map, but on the other hand.....the cliches here are just way too big to ignore.

mideasticafinal_by_keperry012-dcohsjv.png

Here's a map of an alternate Middle East based on a QBAM I did a little while ago; the scenario sort of acquired the theme of "more peaceful Middle East" as I worked on it.

In the aftermath of World War I, a number of nationalist rebellions are more successful than they were in OTL in maintaining their independence from Turkey, the Soviet Union, and the British and French Empires, and manage to establish states and achieve international recognition. In the case of Hashemite Arabia, Britain and France forgive its foiling of their plans to carve up the Middle East between themselves and ally with it in exchange for its ceding the territories along its Mediterranean coast as zones of influence and homelands for religious minorities - including one for the Jews, thus allowing Jewish migration and statehood to occur relatively peacefully. With no real Arab-Israeli conflict, less of a feeling of betrayal or anger at the West, and a strong Arab nation-state existing in the form of Hashemite Arabia, Nasser-style left-wing Arab nationalism never really took off, resulting in less internal political conflict in Arab countries and more Arab monarchies remaining in place.

A notable exception is Iraq, originally carved out by the British as a protectorate and granted to the Sunni al-Sabah dynasty of Kuwait who ruled over the Shia majority. Sectarian dissatisfaction resulted in a revolution overthrowing the monarchy and replacing it with a theocratic Islamic Republic supervised by Shia clerics, which fought a series of wars with Iran, Nejd, and the Trucial States in which each side tried and failed to claim the other's territory (Shia-majority Bahrain and Arab-majority Khuzestan for Iraq, access to the gulf coast for Nejd) and to change the other's government (Iran to restore the Iraqi monarchy, Iraq to replace Iran's increasingly secular monarchy - and while this was unsuccessful the pressure of the war did result in the Shah accepting democratizing reforms and Iran becoming a properly constitutional monarchy). Iraq remained a pariah state for several decades although in recent years relations have mostly normalized and Iraq has been allowed to rejoin the Middle Eastern community.

With the Saudis limited to Nejd, Wahhabism never became nearly as influential and religious extremism is much less widespread. On the other Ibadism has become more influential with the Imams of Oman retaining their independence from the Sultans of Muscat - and therefore retaining control over their oilfields. The Saudis' leading position on the Arabian peninsula has been taken by the Trucial States of Arabia, a fabulously wealthy league of oil-producing emirates such as Abu Dhabi and Qatar on the Gulf Coast, which exerts influence over the much poorer monarchies to its south and east. The Federation of South Arabia - essentially Aden and its hinterland - maintains strong ties with Britain.

Israel and Lebanon have likewise maintained strong ties to their former protectors in both Europe and Hashemite Arabia and are known for being diverse and prosperous democracies rather than being defined by conflict (Alawia has tended to lag slightly behind economically and has spent much of its time under strongman rule). Israel, despite tensions with the Arab minority, enjoys good relations with its neighbors (many of whom still have native Mizrahi Jewish populations). Due to the lack of a Palestinian refugee influx, Lebanon, while often chaotic, stayed just stable enough to avoid civil war and remain the "Paris of the Middle East". Hashemite Arabia has modernized and democratized in fits and starts and despite social, economic, and regional tensions through its history remains a center of the Arab and Islamic worlds, as the protector of the holy cities and self-proclaimed nation-state of the Arab people.

The patchwork of nation-states to the north of the Arab lands spent much of the middle of the twentieth century fighting ethnic-inspired border wars against each other as well as civil wars against Soviet-backed insurgencies but have stabilized since then, with a great deal of Western investment as a bulwark against the Soviets. Turkey is still the largest and strongest of them, but still quite a bit weaker than in OTL, and with the Kemalists having lost the War of Independence, Turkey has no particular history of Western-facing secular nationalism or European aspirations.

Several areas are under international control, such as the International Straits Zone including Istanbul/Constantinople (smaller but more religiously and ethnically diverse than OTL) left over from World War I, the "corpus separatum" of the International City of Jerusalem (including Bethlehem) governed jointly by representatives of each of its three religions under international supervision, and the International Suez Canal Zone created as a result of the Sinai War between Egypt and Hashemite Arabia.

And a mostly united Scandinavia! How did that come about by chance?

I'm going to assume Barca wasn't nuked, even though that's what it looks like.

Interesting map, though.

Scandinavia was formed by the Swedish communists during the revolutions of 1917. After the revolutionaries seized Stockholm, communist personnel in the military took control of the country, and created a provisional government in the city. Finland broke away from Russia as in OTL, and experienced a reds-versus-whites civil war, which was won by the reds. After Sweden and Finland overran Norway and fought off an Allied intervention in 1918-1919 led by the United Kingdom, Scandinavia unified when the Finnish reds requested annexation.

Libya wasn't nuked, that's just Cyrenaica, an Italian puppet.

Well.....on one hand, this got a decent map, but on the other hand.....the cliches here are just way too big to ignore.

I don't deny this allegation. This was not my best work.

True. But it's not like the views of OTL American leftists on race are some pandora's box.

Possibly confusion due to decades of right-wing "populism", utterly fake as it is.

I'm decently acquainted with the actual OTL positions of folks like Goldman. I'm bending things towards Communism exacerbating America's dark tendencies rather than excorcise for the purposes of analogue.

I don't deny this allegation. This was not my best work.

I'm decently acquainted with the actual OTL positions of folks like Goldman. I'm bending things towards Communism exacerbating America's dark tendencies rather than excorcise for the purposes of analogue.

It's alright, and I hope I didn't come across as overly critical.

Deleted member 101966

Another academia-grade visualization of some rarely-encountered OTL data...

Newfoundland Communities by Religion (1945)

Data taken from the real-life 1945 Eleventh Census of Newfoundland and Labrador - the last that would ever be undertaken by an independent Newfoundland. Once inside Canada, Newfoundland's small "outport" villages would be actively targeted by a government relocation program, so this census is of interest for reflecting the absolute height of the island's outport population.

"Salvationist" here refers to the Salvation Army, which I was as surprised as you to find out is actually considered its own religious denomination, having formed as an outgrowth of Methodism in the 1800s.

A lot of the patterns on this map will take some more reading on my part to interpret, but here are two which aren't as hard to figure out:

- Ferryland was the original site chosen by Lord Calvert for his Catholic settlement in the Americas, but he (wisely) quit it after a few years in favour of Maryland. Some Catholics, though, didn't get the message.

- In earlier censuses, the "Other" category was called "Moravians, etc." because it mostly referred to the Moravian missions set up among the Labrador Inuit. They're still there! Since the Moravian Church is hilariously tiny, the youths all get flown out to Edmonton some summers to attend Canada's only Moravian bible camp.

Mirage USA.png

There's a map of the not-so-United States from Matt Ruff's The Mirage, set in a universe where the Arab World is a united, democratic global superpower and the West is made up of impoverished, squabbling christian theocracies.
* Christian States of America- stretching along the east and gulf coasts, the CSA is a theocracy that was under the tyrannical rule of the aging Lyndon Baines Johnson following the death of the royal Kennedy family all the way up until the United Arab States' invasion in 2003. He had ambitions to unify all of North America under his rule, starting two different wars with his neighbors.
* Pentecostal Gilead Heartland- Another theocracy. Once engaged in a war with the CSA along the Appalachians and the Great Lakes.
* Kingdom of Louisiana- An independent kingdom sitting on the gulf coast, the CSA attempted to annex it in 1990, sparking the Mexican Gulf War and an invasion by an OPEC-backed coalition that drove CS forces out.
* Evangelical Republic of Texas- A close ally of the UAS and a bitter enemy of the CSA. It claims Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Coahuila as protectorates, although the residents of these lands would disagree with this claim. Also the original homeland of Johnson.
* Missouri- Not much is said about it in the novel beyond it being the Mormon Homeland.
* Rocky Mountain Independent Territories- A lose collection of lands that- more in theory than in fact- controls Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and the Dakotas. It's mostly made up of warring tribal bands, some of whom are rumored to be cannibals. It was also the site of the headquarters for the World Christian Alliance, a group of fundamentalist terrorists who masterminded the attacks on the Tigris and Euphrates World Trade Center Towers in Baghdad on November 9, 2001.
* White- Not specified in the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.