Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
EW SCENARIO-
Why every time that an independent Basque Country appears in a map it has Cantabria? Navarre it's plausible and La Rioja could (and that's a big could) be throwm in if the Basque government is very irredentist, but Cantabria? And the same goes for Catalonia having Aragon, where except La Franja almost nobody speaks catalan.

Why every time that an independent Basque Country appears in a map it has Cantabria? Navarre it's plausible and La Rioja could (and that's a big could) be throwm in if the Basque government is very irredentist, but Cantabria? And the same goes for Catalonia having Aragon, where except La Franja almost nobody speaks catalan.
People trend to think that given both Basque Country and Navarre are relatively small autonomous communities and "are" Basque, Cantabria and La Rioja, who are both adjacent small "have" to be Basque aswell. The Aragon issue comes from the crown of Aragon, which people erroniously relate to Catalonia.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Another silly idea I'll likely never finish. Guessing games are of course welcome.

Union of Cathay.png

Isaac Beach

Banned
Viking Siberia?

Not quite, but right ballpark. One hint I will give is the POD is rather early. Post Mohammed, but pre-Reformation.

Ooo! That kind of distortion and the lack of an Alaska makes me think it’s a No Americas world. And that Thorn really makes me think it’s Non-Norman Germanic/Norse Britain.

Second half kind of hits the nail on the head: a Germanic England, specifically, but otherwise exactly that. First half is just because I haven’t scribbled that very long Alaskan coastline yet, aha, although that’s a very good idea in and of itself.

upload_2018-10-2_11-26-4.png

Europe at the death of Napoleon in the year 1840. This is a work in progress just wanted to get some thoughts on it and I am going to make a better version/maps set in different years.

Russia was defeated by Napoleon in 1812 by allying with the Ottomans and the Swedish. A powerful Poland-Lithuania is created as well as a Ukrainian puppet of the Ottomans. After this France focuses on the west and defeats Britain in SPain in 1813 and the last attempt of the British until after Napoleons death in the Netherlands in 1817. Russia would attack again in 1830 but after initial success recapturing Georgia and northern Ukraine would be defeated at the Battle of Warsaw ending the war.

1814 Iberian Union is formed.

1820 Italy is united with a capital in Venice, later moved to Rome.

Also in 1817 Prussia is partitioned between Poland, the Duchy of Silesia, Denmark and the newly formed Germanic kingdom.

1830 Denmark joins Scandinavian Union

1831 Great Britain captures Faeroe islands and Iceland to protect themselves nearly starting a war with France, but a diplomatic arbitration was reached ceding those lands to the British.

1834 Greece gains independence. 1838 Romania gains nominal independence.

Currently The Iberian Kingdom, The Kingdom of Italy, The Ottoman Empire, The Scandinavian Empire, and the Second Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth as well as the client states (Croatia, Silesia, the Netherlands) make up the Continental Alliance.

Austria, the Kingdom of Germany, Russia are still technically a part of the alliance but only in name and all have but broken ties with the French.

Great Britain, Andorra, San Marino and Switzerland are only 'neutral' countries.

A map of the known world in the universe of A Song of Ice and Fire on the eve of the Tourney at Harrenhal held the year of the false spring or 281 AC.

False Spring.png

Lusitania

Donor
View attachment 411945
Europe at the death of Napoleon in the year 1840. This is a work in progress just wanted to get some thoughts on it and I am going to make a better version/maps set in different years.

Russia was defeated by Napoleon in 1812 by allying with the Ottomans and the Swedish. A powerful Poland-Lithuania is created as well as a Ukrainian puppet of the Ottomans. After this France focuses on the west and defeats Britain in SPain in 1813 and the last attempt of the British until after Napoleons death in the Netherlands in 1817. Russia would attack again in 1830 but after initial success recapturing Georgia and northern Ukraine would be defeated at the Battle of Warsaw ending the war.

1814 Iberian Union is formed.

1820 Italy is united with a capital in Venice, later moved to Rome.

Also in 1817 Prussia is partitioned between Poland, the Duchy of Silesia, Denmark and the newly formed Germanic kingdom.

1830 Denmark joins Scandinavian Union

1831 Great Britain captures Faeroe islands and Iceland to protect themselves nearly starting a war with France, but a diplomatic arbitration was reached ceding those lands to the British.

1834 Greece gains independence. 1838 Romania gains nominal independence.

Currently The Iberian Kingdom, The Kingdom of Italy, The Ottoman Empire, The Scandinavian Empire, and the Second Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth as well as the client states (Croatia, Silesia, the Netherlands) make up the Continental Alliance.

Austria, the Kingdom of Germany, Russia are still technically a part of the alliance but only in name and all have but broken ties with the French.

Great Britain, Andorra, San Marino and Switzerland are only 'neutral' countries.
What of Portugal

What of Portugal
France defeats Russia which allows him to send the grand armee and in late 1813 the British army is completely crushed in Spain. The remnants withdrawals from Spain.

A final campain in the spring sees Bourbon Spain and Portugal defeated and occupied by Frnehc forces.

England doesn't do anything militarily for 2 years and in 1816 launches an invasion near Amsterdam. They March south with hopes of capturing Calais and establishing supply line with hopes of them moving south to Paris. However they find the city well defended and place it under seige. A second British fleet lands a force at Calais from the sea. However the city holds. Napoleon arrives with an army of 300,000 and traps the British line of retreat. Most of the English army is destroyed. Numbering over 200,000 casualties. British public loses the will to fight and Britain sues sues for peace. Britain in the following years focuses on maritime and ignores the continent with the exception of capturing the Faroe islands and Iceland avoids war with any European powers until 1840. As a result the European army is weaker than otl but their colonies and navy is even stronger.

Later on Joseph I is given control of Portugal and forms the Iberian Union.

Currently Italy, France, Netherlands (Holland) and Iberia are under the house of Bonaparte.

United States has great relations with France and poor relations with Britain but is unallied.

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
France defeats Russia which allows him to send the grand armee and in late 1813 the British army is completely crushed. And withdrawals from Spain.

A final campain in the spring sees Bourbon Spain and Portugal defeated.

Later on Joseph I is given control of Portugal and forms the Iberian Union.

Currently Italy, France, Netherlands (Holland) and Iberia are under the house of Bonaparte.
Ok but that makes no sense. In 1807 Portuguese court and king with British Navy help evacuate from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro. So Portugal stayed independent from France with its capital in Rio de Janeiro.

Also Spanish Prime Minister was promised southern Portuguese Iberian Peninsula as part of the agreement for Spain to join French side. France was to annex the northern half of Portuguese Iberian Peninsula and form a allied republic there.

See my response Portuguese king and court are in Rio
Sure but why would Napoleon restore them to the throne when he can put someone he knows will stay allied to him on the throne?

The Portuguese forces in Portugal under Wellington were defeated and Portugal is reoccupied.

Edit: France had no actions in Brazil. The royal family could still be in power there. I hadn't put much thought to events outside of Europe.

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
Sure but why would Napoleon restore them to the throne when he can put someone he knows will stay allied to him on the throne?

The Portuguese forces in Portugal under Wellington were defeated and Portugal is reoccupied.
You not understanding, the land was occupied but the country was not. The king, government and capital moved to Brazil in 1807. So yes France defeated the joint British and Portuguese force and occupied the Iberian Peninsula but that did not mean that Portugal as a country disappeared. It is not the same thing as Spain. There the government and king were captured and Napoleon put his brother as the king of Spain. There was no Iberian Union since Portugal stayed independent.

You not understanding, the land was occupied but the country was not. The king, government and capital moved to Brazil in 1807. So yes France defeated the joint British and Portuguese force and occupied the Iberian Peninsula but that did not mean that Portugal as a country disappeared. It is not the same thing as Spain. There the government and king were captured and Napoleon put his brother as the king of Spain. There was no Iberian Union since Portugal stayed independent.

That's fine, but I think that it makes since for Joseph to be given all of Iberia after the war. But having a Portuguese army in Brazil that can join the war is pretty cool and not something I considered. Unless you think there is something more likely that he would have done? The POd is in 1812.

I am playing to have a war between France and allies vs Russia, Britain, Austria, Germany in 1845. Haven't really decided what would happen yet.

Do you consider Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia, and Iraq to still be kingdoms? Because they do still have pretenders. Also, Mr. Black referenced to the area as the Iberia Union. Fine enough. It is admittedly not the best map out there, if a country is conquered it is conquered. Some government-in-exile won't change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.