Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Allon Plan.png

MBAM Allon Plan

Few changes you might want to make. The plan was also to involve returning the Sinai to Egypt and to make the Golan Heights Druze. Obviously Sinai is Egyptian here, but with the Golan Heights being shown as fully annexed some consistence will be needed with the Gaza Strip. Speaking of which, it seems at first they wanted Gaza for Israel, and afterwards for Jordan-Palestine. Come. Think of it, looks like the Wikipedia page doesn't actually mentoin Sinai going to Egypt, so maybe it would have went to the Palestinian state.

New New South Wales?

... I'll see myself out.
Perhaps Newest South Wales or Even Newer South Wales would be better? Or perhaps Diet South Wales. The naming worked for Coca-Cola.

On a side not for the Palestine thing, just discovered that when Israel was going about returning land Syria was wanting more land than the Golan Heights. Other Arab states didn't much go for it, showing yet another reason why Jordan, Syria, and Egypt repeatedly distrusted each other since the beginning of the State of Israel. On that note, anyone know where to find a map showing the land the French and British traded in the north of Palestine and on the Lebanese border? I am wondering if there is any correlation to smaller groups or if Syria wanted that land that had been traded away, or if they simply wanted the land that they had as part of their war aims during the original war against Israel, much like how Egypt wanted Negev and Jordan wanted a coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council_Resolution_242#Land_for_peace

Last edited:
Today, I learned about the Allon Plan, to partition the West Bank.

So much border gore...

Indeed, but the Allon Plan's proposed areas to be returned to Jordan, more or less match the areas of Palestinian autonomy even now. Points to a common basis ----> the concept that heavily populated Palestinian areas shouldn't be under direct Israeli control, but important and sparsely populated strategic areas should.

sprite

Donor
The area has been known as New England since about 1840. I think New England would be the name if a new state was approved (the odds of which are extremely low).

Extremely. Anglo-Saxon-Gothic Kingdom of Chersonessus, anyone?

Considering this set of English presumably got absorbed into Crimean Gothland before the Crimean Goths themselves disappeared from history, the mere fact Englishmen and Goths were interacting as neighbors together is just plain cool.

tumblr_ojmxrljzci1uo5i21o1_540.jpg

What if the Greek Civil War had gone the same way as the Chinese Civil War/Korean War?

It might be useful to consider the new Truman principle as applied to Greece—if that civil war had turned out the way China’s did. In this supposition, General Markos’ Greek Reds sweep the mainland. The anti-Communist Greek leader, an unpopular but steadfast fellow called Apericles, retires with an army of several hundred thousand to the island of Crete. The Greek Reds, instead of going after Apericles, attack Turkey. The U.S. and the U.N. go to Turkey’s aid. The war gets difficult and General Legion, the American commander of the U.N. forces in Turkey, proposes to blockade Piraeus, the port of Athens, and to help General Apericles establish a beachhead on the mainland and hit the flank of the Greek Reds.

Under the Truman principle, General Legion should be fired for trying to widen or spread the war. It would be moral for American boys to die on the brown hills of Anatolia but immoral to help anti-Communist Greeks fight the same enemy on the brown plain of Thrace.

TIME, 23 April 1951

A fascinating piece of speculation from the early years of the Cold War, wouldn't you say?

Franklin Roosevelt's rather ... peculiar take on what the occupation zones in Germany should be. I think it is fair to point out that these were more generalities that would be fine-tuned, as this is a translation from him drawing a handful of lines on a geographic map of Germany, but it looks bizarre all the same.

tBaxSRu.jpg

It was also a fairly common view that the best manner in which to weaken Germany was to dismantle it through an "Austrian" solution, where the number of separate countries would be created and forever banned from uniting barring the express approval of the Allied Powers. Below is one such proposal to divide Germany into three States posited by Sumner Welles in 1944; this is before the Polish annexations however, so I'm not sure whether Eastern Germany as shown would have remained viable compared to the other two.

p9NudDG.jpg

Going back to WWI, there was a somewhat similar plan to dismember Germany proposed by Yves Guyot, a French Economist, some time before the war wrapped up. There are differences in where the border of laid certainly, but it generally seems to run with the theme of a South German State, a Central German State, and an Eastern German State. Romania and Bulgaria's borders seems a bit queer as well, though I remember that Romania tried hard to claim a border across the entirety of the Tisza, or in this case Theiss, River.

2JGLcOT.jpg

I mean it is certainly more organized then ... this ...

KRT7TWD.jpg