Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Today, I learned about the Allon Plan, to partition the West Bank.

Allon.jpg

So much border gore...

Oooh, seems the plan has a Druze State for the Golan Heights. Just think of of it connecting to Jabal Al-Druze in southern Syria, or to the one and a half million Druze in central Lebanon. I can only see peace and love coming from all of this.

Yes, there's no way this could possibly go wrong.

How many of those northern states have more than three guys, a dog, and a gazillion snakes?
I think the main reason behind these break-ups is to have an easier access to a state capital and thus the governemnt itself thou'. If you want snakes, Brazil has an island with a shit ton of them.

View attachment 410805

Map of the proposed New State from New South Wales in 1924.
If anyone is looking for more maps of proposed Australian states, this PDF has a whole bunch of them. Here's a few maps I screenshotted:
2018-09-28 montage.png

These first two are combinations of proposals which seem to have popped up quite often: the division of Queensland into three states by latitude, and the secession of New England and the Riverina from New South Wales (the Western state only appears in these two maps, though - other maps keep a rump NSW, with Riverina not extending so far north along the coast).

2018-09-28 (1).png

There are a few proposals to reorganise the North in order to encourage development, but I'm posting this one because it's uniquely weird in just how many states Holmes wants to put in such an underpopulated area.

2018-09-28 (8).png

This map was part of an idea to not just break up the states, but also transfer state powers to the Commonwealth, believing that states should have powers more like the ACT (i.e. no Governors, state legislatures can be overruled by the Federal Parliament or the Governor General, the Federal Parliament can make laws in any area with no exclusive state competencies, the state government takes on local government powers) - essentially proposing that Australia become a centralised state rather than a federation.

I guess I'll say it. I'm surprised "New England" is a name in another part of the world. I can get why it'd be called so, it looks like Old England or meant to be a "new" England, yeah. Just that I felt New England-in-America was already famous enough to be the only carrier of the name.

I do admit it's clever to get around that with a singular subdivision bearing the name wholesale rather than as a regional name covering many territorial subunits, though.

I heard at one point during the early 1920's or 1930's (I can't remember) there was a proposal and I believe a voting referendum in which the region of New England (The one in New South Wales) to become a new state in Australia. Perhaps this is a map of it?

This is the proposal from the 1920s, the referendum was in the 1960s for a much smaller area and can be found in the pdf which @Camelopardalim screenshotted and I'd previously posed a few months ago.
If anyone is looking for more maps of proposed Australian states, this PDF has a whole bunch of them.

Vuu

Banned
Yes, there's no way this could possibly go wrong.

In some places, you just have to break some eggs to make omelettes

More often than not, eventually the eggs break themselves - but the Powers That Be dislike that, maybe the omelette won't be to their taste

Few changes you might want to make. The plan was also to involve returning the Sinai to Egypt and to make the Golan Heights Druze. Obviously Sinai is Egyptian here, but with the Golan Heights being shown as fully annexed some consistence will be needed with the Gaza Strip. Speaking of which, it seems at first they wanted Gaza for Israel, and afterwards for Jordan-Palestine. Come. Think of it, looks like the Wikipedia page doesn't actually mentoin Sinai going to Egypt, so maybe it would have went to the Palestinian state.

New New South Wales?

... I'll see myself out.
Perhaps Newest South Wales or Even Newer South Wales would be better? Or perhaps Diet South Wales. The naming worked for Coca-Cola.

On a side not for the Palestine thing, just discovered that when Israel was going about returning land Syria was wanting more land than the Golan Heights. Other Arab states didn't much go for it, showing yet another reason why Jordan, Syria, and Egypt repeatedly distrusted each other since the beginning of the State of Israel. On that note, anyone know where to find a map showing the land the French and British traded in the north of Palestine and on the Lebanese border? I am wondering if there is any correlation to smaller groups or if Syria wanted that land that had been traded away, or if they simply wanted the land that they had as part of their war aims during the original war against Israel, much like how Egypt wanted Negev and Jordan wanted a coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council_Resolution_242#Land_for_peace

Last edited:
Today, I learned about the Allon Plan, to partition the West Bank.

So much border gore...

Indeed, but the Allon Plan's proposed areas to be returned to Jordan, more or less match the areas of Palestinian autonomy even now. Points to a common basis ----> the concept that heavily populated Palestinian areas shouldn't be under direct Israeli control, but important and sparsely populated strategic areas should.