Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Part 69, Chapter 995
Chapter Nine Hundred Ninety-Five

15th January 1953

Washington D.C.

When Finley had been told that Nancy Jensen had been spotted boarding the train to Chicago the day before he had been happy. That was the first leg on the journey that would take her back to whatever rain-soaked Podunk logging town she came from. Today, the Office of the Inspector General had made sure that he wasn’t so happy. He had been forced to explain why Miss Jensen was unavailable for questioning. Then he had to explain why he had suspended her and how he had disregarded Miss Jensen’s dutiful reporting of her contacts with foreign persons. The investigator had been far less than impressed with Finley’s explanations. “Who gives a shit about where her grandmother came from and you wanting to settle an old score is not a good enough reason for your actions” He had said. Then the Investigator had the nerve to say that Finley had jeopardized the entire process.

It had gotten steadily worse after that. If Miss Jensen had taken the National Limited to Chicago, then boarded a connecting train to the West Coast it might be several days before she turned up and not necessarily in Spokane or Seattle. She had a brother in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Investigators now had to wait until Miss Jensen turned up before they could subpoena her as a witness and they were blaming Finley for that wait.

Montreal, Canada

It had taken a few minutes for Nancy to find her contact in when she had stepped off the train at the station in Buffalo, New York. It was a bit of a haze after that as she had been shoved into the back of a waiting truck and driven across a bridge. Then she had been shoved onto an airplane and flown into Montreal.

“Welcome to the Special Branch of the RCMP Miss Jensen” Was what Sir Malcolm had said as soon she stepped into his office. She recognized his voice as the man she had been talking to when she had called MacGregor Farms.

“Thank you, Sir” Nancy replied.

“You’re safe now” Sir Malcolm said, “Our southern neighbors go through periods where they sort of go collectively insane about once a generation.”

Nancy held her tongue, she was one of those “southern neighbors” but she could hardly disagree with him after what had happened.

“My Daughter-in-Law speaks highly of you” Sir Malcolm said.

Nancy almost asked who that was when she made the connection and realized what Sir Malcolm would look like if he didn’t have the beard and was thirty years younger. This was Douglas Blackwood’s father.

“I’m terribly sorry” Nancy said, “I haven’t slept in days and…”

She trailed off, unsure of what to say.

“That was the other thing that Katherine said” Sir Malcolm said, “That you were one of the few innocents who had found your way into our world and that she felt that we owed it to you to help you get out of it if the chance presented itself.”

Again, it took a few seconds to understand what that meant.

“I’m not a spy” Nancy said, “I am… er, was an analyst in Y&R”

“I understand you were a good one too” Sir Malcolm said, “Now you need to figure out what to do with the rest of your life, hopefully with better coworkers in the future.”

When Sir Malcolm said that, it was a reminder that the instant Nancy had crossed into Canada she had burnt every bridge back to her old life. But what choice did she have? If she had been questioned it would have taken an interrogator seconds to zero in on the information that she had withheld because revealing it would have hurt the people that she cared about. Then she realized what was going to be said about her to her family. Her mother might understand, she had practically ordered Nancy to do this. Alan would never forgive her. She would probably never see either of them again.

“You’ll be my guest tonight” Sir Malcolm said, “Asia Lawniczak is supposed to be coming for you tomorrow.”

That was a bit of a surprise, but Nancy supposed that it was inevitable that the Mistress of Keys would need to delegate eventually.

London Airport

“You really should consider this an honor for you” Manfred said as he walked with Ilse towards the waiting car. To Manfred, who was letting her hold his arm, she felt about as tense as a steel spring. Ilse had been invited to give a presentation about the effects of environmental pollution before the British Parliament and Manfred had come along for moral support. The problem was that every part of the trip involved walking some distance in open air and Ilse would be running the risk of being paralyzed by fear.

Recently, Manfred had looked into the place where Ilse had spent her childhood and swiftly regretted it. His thoughts about how there were some things that grown men had difficulty enduring were confirmed. The fact that it had been children the same ages as his grandchildren had endured things that might even be considered worse was something that he considered an atrocity.

With a touch of distaste Manfred saw that the Press was out in force. He knew how to deal with them, not having been camera shy in his youth. Ilse was a different matter.

“Count von Richthofen, what is your interest in this matter?” One of the reporters asked as Manfred helped Ilse into the car, he then turned and faced the gathered reporters. He repeated something that he had said to Ilse when they had discussed this matter on the airplane.

“I think that the events of the last month should be a wakeup call for all of humanity” Manfred said, “The Great Smog killed Kings and Commoners alike with no regard. We need to think about the way we do things and change what we can.”

“What is your relationship with Doctor Elisabeth von Mischner?”

Manfred had to work to hide his annoyance at that question. Leave it to the British Press to try to find something salacious.

“She is the youngest sister of my Son-in-Law” Manfred replied, “I personally think of her like I would any of my other three daughters.”

With that Manfred got into the car ignoring the other shouted questions.

“Thank you” Ilse said as soon as he closed the door.

“What for?” Manfred asked.

Last edited:
15th January 1953

Washington D.C.

When Finley had been told that Nancy Jensen had been spotted boarding the train to Chicago the day before he had been happy. That was the first leg on the journey that would take her back to whatever rain-soaked Podunk logging town she came from. Today, the Office of the Inspector General had made sure that he wasn’t so happy. He had been forced to explain why Miss Jensen was unavailable for questioning. Then he had to explain why he had suspended her and how he had disregarded Miss Jensen’s dutiful reporting of her contacts with foreign persons. The investigator had been far less than impressed with Finley’s explanations. “Who gives a shit about where her grandmother came from and you wanting to settle an old score is not a good enough reason for your actions” He had said. Then the Investigator had the nerve to say that Finley had jeopardized the entire process.

It had gotten steadily worse after that. If Miss Jensen had taken the National Limited to Chicago, then boarded a connecting train to the West Coast it might be several days before she turned up and not necessarily in Spokane or Seattle. She had a brother in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Investigators now had to wait until Miss Jensen turned up before they could subpoena her as a witness and they were blaming Finley for that wait.

This is not stupid Luck and Happenstance....this is just stupid.

Dumb-ass moron.

Nancy and Tilo the OTP. I'm really looking forward to the reactions of the Americans when they realize that they chased her out. I'm also wondering about the direction the US is going to take. With that I mean, I would like to know whether they are going to be as radically fanatical against the Germans as they were against the Soviets. And how their society(with its racial and class issues) is going to wind up.

I can't wait till the next chapter. I'm as addicted to this story as ever. So thanks again PB-M for the great read!

You really have to feel for Nancy. She’s one of those naive people who got in way over her head (not in competence but in terms of the level of mess/awkward position). Now she’s been burned pretty badly.

Here’s the other problem, even as an unintentional double agent (though more by omission), what she gave Truman and her group was still far more accurate and valuable as to German intentions and Court. Now that’s gone.

The MOST funny, it will be the public SCANDAL, when the German Ambassador delivers the formal announcement to the State Secretary that Nancy Jensen has been given POLITICAL ASYLUM by the German Empire.

If you think it, a HELL of a lot of pointed questions are going to pop up about WHY a young Woman had to desert the "Land of Freedom"...for not talk of the paranoia of some of WHAT actually Nancy Jensen knew that she chose to immediately bolt rather than answer any questions , paranoia further ramped up as it pops up that she was a friend of nearly a decade with the Infamous Crimson Tigress of Pankow, someone who the people in the Armed Forces would even with all their sexism and bigotry call unashamedly "The Deadliest German Soldier in History"....
Yeah, someone might be joining Nancy on suspension before long.
Forget Suspension. Truman and Johnson are likely to throw his sorry ass in front of a Senate Committee, and GUESS who will be the one to grill his ass about letting a German Spy escape.....does the name Joseph McCarthy rings a bell?

Nancy panicked too soon and now she can't go back... Or can she?
How far the anti -German sentiments go depends on how President Truman reacts and as it was pointed out the number of German descendents in the United States is just too many and and this is not the first time that this has happened and maybe they are more prepared to fight back this time.

That's more Kat's schtick, though unusually tame for her.

Eh, she's slowing down in her dotage.

Forget Suspension. Truman and Johnson are likely to throw his sorry ass in front of a Senate Committee, and GUESS who will be the one to grill his ass about letting a German Spy escape.....does the name Joseph McCarthy rings a bell?

As a example of how not to actually interrogate and find real connections?

maybe they are more prepared to fight back this time.

You know Busch is. Back during WW1, they didn't show their support as well as they could've (In their defense, they did do some fixes for British markets and purchased war bonds), but WW2? Hoh boy, they went whole hog. Maximum amount purchasable of war bonds, whole 9 yards.

Think about it, a Senator from Wisconsin. IF he somehow got elected how do think the "Kraut scare" is going over with his constituents?

Nancy panicked too soon and now she can't go back... Or can she?
How far the anti -German sentiments go depends on how President Truman reacts and as it was pointed out the number of German descendents in the United States is just too many and and this is not the first time that this has happened and maybe they are more prepared to fight back this time.
i would say they most definatly are. there was less ill feeling in the us over wwI ttl, so i imagine many of them went back to openly practicing their language and culture again as a big f*** you to the wilson administration and even more after the revolution in the 20's and germany's development ttl lends itself well to a resurgence of "old country pride" sentiment. considering how many of them there are, it is electoral suicide for any party to think of supporting a wave of repression against one of the largest ethnic minority groups in the electorate.
McCarthy might haven gotten away with his scare mongering against the "reds" in otl, when there was the clear and real danger of hostilitiey with the soviet union and those persecuted belonged to all manner of different ethnicities, but that is quite a different thing entirely from stirring up the german americans.

I find myself a little confused (a not uncommon occurrence). Nancy has panicked it seems not wanting to give up Johann Schultz. While the US and other intelligence service don’t know who the BND’s head of Operations is does it really matter if he was exposed? It hardly seems that the Alte Schultz would still be a field agent at this stage of his career. I guessI need to read more Le Carre.

While I love the irony of having Sen. McCarthy being in the thick of this, he is most likely did not win in this timeline as 1946 was Democratic wave year that wiped out the Republicans and he also will not have his OTL war record as "Tail Gunner Joe" the only way this will work if McCarthy is a Democrat ITTL.

I can just hear "Tail Gunner Joe":

"Are you now, or have you ever been:

A. Fond of Sauerkraut?
B. Heard to say "Gesundheit"?
C. On a polka dance floor?
D. On the top of "Hermann Heights" in New Ulm, Minnesota?

Problem for Joe is that 90% of his constituents would probably answer yes to at least three of these questions. Old Joe was still and is a total embarrassment to the Badger State.