Will India be better off than in OTL

• Better

Votes: 137 84.0%
  • Worse

Votes: 26 16.0%

• Total voters
it had not happened in OTL India, why should it happen in This India
Higher number of Muslims also there is the high possibility that whole Pakistan region turns into giant Kashmir insurgency which would lead to clamping down on Muslim rights in that area.

How would this Mega India affect the Cold War?
Given India has inherited Britain position in the great game. It will be an American ally in the Cold war.

How would this Mega India affect the Cold War?
Well, its sphere of influence would be at odds with the Communist Powers (Afghanistan, Tibet, SE Asia), as would its major border conflicts (against China, mainly). China can't really part ways with the USSR if threatened by India as well.

Srihari14

Banned
Higher number of Muslims also there is the high possibility that whole Pakistan region turns into giant Kashmir insurgency which would lead to clamping down on Muslim rights in that area.
nope, it is only that controversial due to its disputed region, look at Kerala in South India, it had 25 percent muslims yet is highly developed

Lusitania

Donor
To deal with the regional and ethnic tensions and to avoid a civil war while keeping democratic principles we could see the weakening of Federal government and each province has greater powers. this could result in tensions being transferred to provinces.

Srihari14

Banned
To deal with the regional and ethnic tensions and to avoid a civil war while keeping democratic principles we could see the weakening of Federal government and each province has greater powers. this could result in tensions being transferred to provinces.
true about that ,we could see smaller provinces in this India

Srihari14

Banned
I once made a United India provinces map, this could be a reality in this India -
upload_2018-9-14_21-0-56.png

Could the Indian Armed forces not stay aligned with the British armed forces?

So in the 60s it gets Hunters, Leanders and Chieftains with the L1A1 and L7 being the principle small arms pretty much?

In the 70s having had an earlier start its own industries are making its own planes, ships and small arms like other Commonwealth nations

IE no golf bag of equipment like it ended up with and as a single nation no need for a large force due to the India versus Pakistan and 'East Pakistan/Bangladesh' aggro of OTL and as a result it has a 'relatively' small but well equipped Army, Airforce and Navy

Srihari14

Banned
Could the Indian Armed forces not stay aligned with the British armed forces?

So in the 60s it gets Hunters, Leanders and Chieftains with the L1A1 and L7 being the principle small arms pretty much?

In the 70s having had an earlier start its own industries are making its own planes, ships and small arms like other Commonwealth nations

IE no golf bag of equipment like it ended up with and as a single nation no need for a large force due to the India versus Pakistan and 'East Pakistan/Bangladesh' aggro of OTL and as a result it has a 'relatively' small but well equipped Army, Airforce and Navy
Yes, and since the subcontinent is united, the resources spent wars would be invested in the country, and India might be stronger than China in terms of military

it had not happened in OTL India, why should it happen in This India

Just as a speculation - Moslems in OTL India are very much outnumbered, and thus pose no possible threat, nor can they think seriously about challenging Hindu dominance. ITTL, the numbers are much nearer parity, which may lead to fear on one side and ambition on the other. Also, ITTL, India will include some large areas that are predominantly or nearly exclusively Moslem. (AFAIK that is not true in OTL India.) That could lead to local difficulties.

I once made a United India provinces map, this could be a reality in this India -

[SNIP]
Any particular reason you included Ceylon and the Maldives? IIRC they were separate crown colonies and protectorates respectively that didn't come under British India. I also note you appear to have incorporated Nepal, Bhutan, and Sikkim.

ITTL, the numbers are much nearer parity...
When this topic has come up in the past using modern numbers, didn't have period ones to hand, it would equate to roughly thirty per cent of the Indian population being Muslim. Now the numbers/ratios may well have been different back then but slightly less than a third isn't really near parity.

Srihari14

Banned
Any particular reason you included Ceylon and the Maldives? IIRC they were separate crown colonies and protectorates respectively that didn't come under British India. I also note you appear to have incorporated Nepal, Bhutan, and Sikkim.
Just for the sake of it , also Sikkim is part of India

View attachment 408213
I like the map you have provided. Even in the present India I think a reorganisation of states dividing large states is better for administration. You have not given the names of the provinces. Pandya, Chola, Chera in Tamilnadu, Andhra and Rayalaseema in Andhra Pradesh, Vidarbha, Marathwada, Konkan etc. in Maharashtra, Saurashtra, Kathiawar and Katch in Gujarat, Malwa, Bundelkhand etc. in M.P, Awadh, Prayag, Poorvanchal etc. in U.P, Magadha, Mithila in Bihar etc. could be some of the names. I too had prepared a similar map several years back with around fifty states in the present India, with similar population levels. Then no state in India will have more than 20 Lok Sabha seats.

Last edited:

Srihari14

Banned
I like the map you have provided. Even in the present India I think a reorganisation of states dividing large states is better for administration. You have not given the names of the provinces. Pandya, Chola, Chera in Tamilnadu, Andhra and Rayalaseema in Andhra Pradesh, Vidarbha, Marathwada, Konkan etc. in Maharashtra, Saurashtra, Kathiawar and Katch in Gujarat, Malwa, Bundelkhand etc. in M.P, Awadh, Prayag, Poorvanchal etc. in U.P, Magadha, Mithila in Bihar etc. could be some of the names. I too had prepared a similar map several years back with around fifty states in the present India, with similar population levels. Then no state in India will have more than 20 Lok Sabha seats.
I have made map with even the provinces but the file is too large

Srihari14

Banned
what do you think would be the affect of United India on Islamic World and especially Islamic Terrorism

what do you think would be the affect of United India on Islamic World and especially Islamic Terror
If there was no partition and no Pakistan was formed, I think that a united India would have developed much more friendly relations with the Islamic countries. Then united India would have been the country with the largest Muslim population pushing Indonesia to a distant second place. Then India would have possesed a very strong influence over the Islamic World. With no partition and resulting riots and large scale murders and displacement of millions, the relations between Hindus and Muslims would have been much better in India. In the absence of a Pakistan there would be no such base as a source to spread blatant lies and hatred against India and Hinduism. As a secular and liberal India, as the home of the largest Muslim population, the Islamic extremists and terrorists are not likely to receive the support they get in OTL. Even if the Islamic extremism get some support from the Middle East it is not likely to grow into the gigantic proportions that it have grown in OTL. In short, a united India would have had much better relations with the Islamic countries and the absence of Pakistan would have weakened the Islamic terrorism.