Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so damn cool. What is life like in the various components of Nouvelle France? Do they operate mostly as independent colonial nations or do they have a great deal of cooperation and political integration (i.e. if France suddenly disappeared, would they be one country or five?) How short a leash does France keep them on? Are they very progressive? What is life like within them for both the colonists and the colonized?

I have a feeling that "if France suddenly disappeared" [ISOT maybe?] that they would try to survive as a unified nation but would soon degenerate into bickering nations at the mercy of the British and Spanish Empires

I have one big recommendation to lift this map from mediocre to great: convergent borders (and, well, butterfly nets like "WWII")

I'm not sure what you mean by convergent borders here, but for the WWII thing, it's the day before OTL WWII.

The specific state boundaries in North America are, in several cases, completely arbitrary, though if your PoD is late enough, you could keep some or most of them.

I was gonna combine and change some of the state boundaries but it completely skipped my mind until after I posted it.

Your Mideast though...the boundaries of the Mandate of Palestine and the Mandate for Syria and various internal states are, which not completely arbitrary, quite so. The big straight lines are all drawn through desert and could vary quite a bit, and while you have no way of knowing this you've done a lot of research, the northern boundary of western ("Cisjordan") Palestine was laid out by a British survey team who were kinda sorta maybe following a line connecting Jewish settlements, but maybe kinda not really.

I'll keep that in mind next time I make a Middle Eastern map.

Changing the boundaries just a little - the new ones can also be pretty arbitrary - makes the resulting map look much less "meh" and much more awesome.

Alright thank you for the criticism. :)

For all time 1978.png

As a bit of a sequel to the first map I posted here, here's the world from For All Time by Chester A. Arthur, circa 1978
It's not a nice place to live

The 21st US president Chester A. Arthur? Did he write alternate history novels?
No, that was a user on Soc.history.what-if who just had that as his user name

He wrote For All Time to be a world where everything that can go wrong does go wrong, starting with FDR suffering a fatal stroke on December 20, 1941, leaving Henry Wallace in charge of the country during World War II. Disasters ensue throughout the 20th century.

Is there any democratic nation left? Also, who nuked a random area of desert on the Iran-Turkmenistani border?
A lot of Commonwealth nations are still democracies, though they're also armed to the teeth, some complete with nuclear arsenals. The United States, while still divided along race lines, ravaged by militias, and generally chaotic, is still democratic.

As for the nuke, that was a product of the 1973 Sino-Soviet nuclear war, where China- with its comparatively tiny arsenal- nuked every Central Asian capital (I was surprised to learn that's where Turkmenistan's capital is), as many Siberian points of interest as they could, and managed to get one 3-megaton bomb into Moscow. The USSR responded with total nuclear annihilation, as well as follow-up chemical and biological attacks. 100 million Soviets and 540 million Chinese died.

And that's not an isolated incident. ITTL, World War 2 ended with the use of 6 nuclear bombings (on Lepzig, Nuremberg, Berlin, Niigata, Wakanai, and Fukuoka), which had the psychological effect of making nukes seem less scary and more practical, never mind the consequences. President Dewey's decision to put an end to the Hukbalahap with the use of tactical nukes in early October 1953 pretty much normalizes their use in future warfare. The Sino-Soviet War was just that taken to its logical extreme.

View attachment 408227
As a bit of a sequel to the first map I posted here, here's the world from For All Time by Chester A. Arthur, circa 1978

I remember reading that a long time ago.

What...what happened to Korea and Vicksburg? Korea I figure a result from the war between China and the USSR, but still.

How are the major powers holding up. (USA, The Commonwealth, the USSR.)

How the Islamic World dealing with what seem to be the Holy Cities gone.

How many Americans packed their bags and ran for Canada and Australia?

No, that was a user on Soc.history.what-if who just had that as his user name

He wrote For All Time to be a world where everything that can go wrong does go wrong, starting with FDR suffering a fatal stroke on December 20, 1941, leaving Henry Wallace in charge of the country during World War II. Disasters ensue throughout the 20th century.
So Murphy's Law: Alternate History Edition?

I remember reading that a long time ago.

What...what happened to Korea and Vicksburg? Korea I figure a result from the war between China and the USSR, but still.

How are the major powers holding up. (USA, The Commonwealth, the USSR.)

How the Islamic World dealing with what seem to be the Holy Cities gone.

How many Americans packed their bags and ran for Canada and Australia?

Kim-Jong Il decided to try and build a nuclear doomsday device called the Glorious People's Revolutionary Hammer to threaten the west into handing over Japan and Manchuria, since they have Korean populations, obviously they are all part of Korea as well. The rest of the world responded with a nuclear carpet bombing, turning Korea into a wasteland.

Vicksburg, Jackson, and all surrounding communities were turned into this timeline's version of Pripyat when a shoddily-made mass-production nuclear facility, during a routine start-up test, malfunctioned and suffered a meltdown.

The US is kind of in the shitter at this point, with racial tensions at an all-time high, militias everywhere, a flu pandemic, an energy crisis exacerbated by said nuclear meltdown, and the major 1980 presidential candidates being California Governor Charles Manson and Pennsylvania Governor Jim Jones (yes, seriously). The Commonwealth is doing okay-ish for the most part, although things are a bit awkward now that England voted to leave the U.K. The USSR is pretty much the world's sole superpower, even after the Sino-Soviet War, although the man in charge now is none other than Andrei Chikatilo.

They'd formed a NATO-style defense pact called the Jerusalem League in response to Soviet aggression early on, and were doing mostly okay up until 1975. Chikatilo ordered nuclear strikes on many of the major cities, as well as the High Nasser Dam, to destabilize the region and ensure the USSR gained a monopoly on the world's oil supply. The region is now not doing well.

Probably a few million, at least.

View attachment 408227

That TL was so damn morbidly hilarious. It's like Q. Tarantino decided to write an alternate history scenario (other than Inglourious Basterds, of course). Great map btw. Definitely one of the most detailed ones of this alt history I've seen. Though I'm pretty sure China should be in a much rougher shape than this. To the point of, like, not even having a color key on the map.

Kim-Jong Il decided to try and build a nuclear doomsday device called the Glorious People's Revolutionary Hammer to threaten the west into handing over Japan and Manchuria, since they have Korean populations, obviously they are all part of Korea as well. The rest of the world responded with a nuclear carpet bombing, turning Korea into a wasteland.

Vicksburg, Jackson, and all surrounding communities were turned into this timeline's version of Pripyat when a shoddily-made mass-production nuclear facility, during a routine start-up test, malfunctioned and suffered a meltdown.

The US is kind of in the shitter at this point, with racial tensions at an all-time high, militias everywhere, a flu pandemic, an energy crisis exacerbated by said nuclear meltdown, and the major 1980 presidential candidates being California Governor Charles Manson and Pennsylvania Governor Jim Jones (yes, seriously). The Commonwealth is doing okay-ish for the most part, although things are a bit awkward now that England voted to leave the U.K. The USSR is pretty much the world's sole superpower, even after the Sino-Soviet War, although the man in charge now is none other than Andrei Chikatilo.

They'd formed a NATO-style defense pact called the Jerusalem League in response to Soviet aggression early on, and were doing mostly okay up until 1975. Chikatilo ordered nuclear strikes on many of the major cities, as well as the High Nasser Dam, to destabilize the region and ensure the USSR gained a monopoly on the world's oil supply. The region is now not doing well.

Probably a few million, at least.

I think I remember reading that, and the outcome on that now...

Besides all that, think you might do a 'anniversary' map of For All Time in 2005? I know the TL ends at 1978, as is the year of your map, but it would be 'interesting' (In the Chinese sense.) of what it might look like by then.

The Empire of Ireland the day before WWII.
View attachment 408105

No real story. Just posting a really mediocre map here because why not.

I'm sorry, but Irish Wales always makes me :mad:.

That's like having a Dutch Sweden, or French Romania. Britons and Gaels are not the same!

If people are going to do this, please, in future, at least have an Irish-influenced Wales instead. Please.

</rant>

Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine. :oops:

That's like having a Dutch Sweden, or French Romania. Britons and Gaels are not the same!

If people are going to do this, please, in future, at least have an Irish-influenced Wales instead. Please.

</rant>

I mean, I doubt anyone is saying that Brythons and Gaels are the same here, the Gaels and the Anglos aren't the same but that doesn't change the history of English rule over Ireland,

It seems to be an imperialistic ruling, not a cultural unity, which admittedly I would agree with you if it was the latter

But I think we need to pay close attention to the phrasing of the "Empire of Ireland", it's not making attempts to show the Welsh or even Scots as an equal footing, it would be different if it was something like "the Celtic Empire" or the "Irish Crownlands" or "the United Realm of Ireland, Wales, Highlands, and the Lowlands,"

Just seems like Irish imperialism to me, which is an interesting outlook on the concept,

Even though Wales is considered a Celtic nation?

England, the Netherlands and Norway are all Germanic nations. Do you consider them to be all the same?

Welsh, Cornish and Breton are a different branch of the Celtic languages to Gaelic. This isn't like comparing Spanish and Portuguese - it's more like comparing German and Danish.

Also, they aren't Celtic nations either :winkytongue:. They speak Celtic languages, true, but they are not themselves Celtic - the Celts lived on the continent. The Welsh are Britons, whilst the Irish are Gaels. They weren't considered Celtic until the 18th Century. The whole thing is basically a romantic/nationalistic invention.

</rant>

I mean, there's still every possibility for conquest all the same.

edit: ninja'd, and ninja'd better.

England, the Netherlands and Norway are all Germanic nations. Do you consider them to be all the same?

Welsh, Cornish and Breton are a different branch of the Celtic languages to Gaelic. This isn't like comparing Spanish and Portuguese - it's more like comparing German and Danish.

Also, they aren't Celtic nations either :winkytongue:. They speak Celtic languages, true, but they are not themselves Celtic - the Celts lived on the continent. The Welsh are Britons, whilst the Irish are Gaels. They weren't considered Celtic until the 18th Century. The whole thing is basically a romantic/nationalistic invention.
True, I shall shut up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.