Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Does anyone know can you form your own famous bloodlines without needing to be part of the warrior lodges i.e. i normally play umayyads or a custom Egyptian character can i still make famous bloodlines with them?
Judging by the Dev Diaries I've read, there will be plenty of options to get a bloodlines.

Devi Diary #85 mentionned Historical bloodline for famous characters. Screens show Charlemagne, Niall Uà Nieill, Sasan (for the Sassanids), Eleanor of Aquitaine, Attila, Songtsen Gampo, William Wallace, Temüjin (aka Genghis Kahn), Basil the Bulgarslayer (I think) and Saladin. I imagine these aren't the only ones.

Devi Diary #93 mentionned that events to simulate in the Fourth Crusade can result in the first Latin Emperor will get a bloodline to remember he's responsible for the shattering of the Byzantine Empire. Devi Diary #94 mentionned you could get a bloodline by being especially friendly with the Teutonic Knights, acting like El Cid in Iberia or performing the Reconquista. And the, the last Dev Diary (#97) mentions the possibility of gaining a bloodline from joining a Warrior Lodge. So I guess this means you can get bloodlines by performing certain actions.

Overall, I'd expect you can get a bloodline by having a character performing deeds that would count as making that character famous in History.
And of course, it's fully moddablle so I expect plenty of mods for bloodlines to come around.

Dev Diary #98 came out. And it's a bit nuts... But in a good way.

They are introducing an "Alternate Start" mechanic. Which basically means they're introducing two mainly gamey features that seem to have been inspired by very popular mods.

First off, there is the Shattered World option. Mod users will recognize this name as one rather popular mod that breaks up the various realms so that everyone starts as count-level. This alternate start possibility is basically doing that, but since it's made by the game creators it's also improved as there are several parameters you can control such as the way you want the world to be split (between Counties and/or Duchies), the number of holding slots, the tech level, the governments available, the available succession laws and have a certain control on character generation.

This alternate start is basically interesting if you want to play on a levelling field... Or just go nuts and start a "build your empire from scratch" game.

The real fun comes with the second alternate start though: Random Wolrd.

Remember the Random Wolrd Generator mod created by a guy named Yenmlie and that was floating around? This is basically the same idea... though improved since the game creators have created this feature. Think it's boring to be stuck with a Historical setting? With this option, you can now generate your own playground to play into! The only thing that remains the same is essentially the map. But that could be arranged by mods...

Anyway, with this you can choose to randomize almost everything: placements, names, functions and graphics of religions, cultures, titles, governments... nearly everything! You can even control if you want an HRE-analogue or a Byzantine-analogue at the start if you want... Only they wont necessarilly be in places you expect them. It's basically shifting the map with a dynamic religion, culture, de-jure and ruler set up. You can basically keep the vanilla settings just having OTL Cultures and Religions thrown around randomly (such as having Nomadic Bön-Worshipping French people in Egypt) or set it so that you have completely different cultures, religions and even a different de-jure setting. In regards to the randomized religions, you can even modify the ones that are going to be generated.

In the end, it's definitely not a features that cares about historicity, so people are probably going to say Paradox's losing a bit of focus here.
On the other hand, it doesn't remove historical play (it's called alternate start after all) and provides a fun way to play the game in a compleste non-historical manner. And that's awesome!

And if this is moddable... SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!!

Dev Diary #98 came out. And it's a bit nuts... But in a good way.

They are introducing an "Alternate Start" mechanic. Which basically means they're introducing two mainly gamey features that seem to have been inspired by very popular mods.

First off, there is the Shattered World option. Mod users will recognize this name as one rather popular mod that breaks up the various realms so that everyone starts as count-level. This alternate start possibility is basically doing that, but since it's made by the game creators it's also improved as there are several parameters you can control such as the way you want the world to be split (between Counties and/or Duchies), the number of holding slots, the tech level, the governments available, the available succession laws and have a certain control on character generation.

This alternate start is basically interesting if you want to play on a levelling field... Or just go nuts and start a "build your empire from scratch" game.

The real fun comes with the second alternate start though: Random Wolrd.

Remember the Random Wolrd Generator mod created by a guy named Yenmlie and that was floating around? This is basically the same idea... though improved since the game creators have created this feature. Think it's boring to be stuck with a Historical setting? With this option, you can now generate your own playground to play into! The only thing that remains the same is essentially the map. But that could be arranged by mods...

Anyway, with this you can choose to randomize almost everything: placements, names, functions and graphics of religions, cultures, titles, governments... nearly everything! You can even control if you want an HRE-analogue or a Byzantine-analogue at the start if you want... Only they wont necessarilly be in places you expect them. It's basically shifting the map with a dynamic religion, culture, de-jure and ruler set up. You can basically keep the vanilla settings just having OTL Cultures and Religions thrown around randomly (such as having Nomadic Bön-Worshipping French people in Egypt) or set it so that you have completely different cultures, religions and even a different de-jure setting. In regards to the randomized religions, you can even modify the ones that are going to be generated.

In the end, it's definitely not a features that cares about historicity, so people are probably going to say Paradox's losing a bit of focus here.
On the other hand, it doesn't remove historical play (it's called alternate start after all) and provides a fun way to play the game in a compleste non-historical manner. And that's awesome!

And if this is moddable... SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!!

They can do all of this but they can't create cadet dynasties.

We need the Caliphate to get reworked and be more if historical in the fact a lot of the Muslim world didn't recognise the abbasids and declaring your own caliphate also succession wars.
Question as anyone ever seen a muslim succession war? I play mostly muslims yet i never had my realm descend into civil war when my ruler dies.

We need the Caliphate to get reworked and be more if historical in the fact a lot of the Muslim world didn't recognise the abbasids and declaring your own caliphate also succession wars.
Question as anyone ever seen a muslim succession war? I play mostly muslims yet i never had my realm descend into civil war when my ruler dies.
I've pitched this a few times and it never goes anywhere. The one I really want to see is Iqta government reworked so that levies are comparatively unimportant by default and you can instead create ghilman and other large retinues to give yourself a professional army based on highly-paid mercenaries. You'd end up with a playstyle more based on wealth, economics and having the cash in the bank to pay for your professional mercenaries.

I've pitched this a few times and it never goes anywhere. The one I really want to see is Iqta government reworked so that levies are comparatively unimportant by default and you can instead create ghilman and other large retinues to give yourself a professional army based on highly-paid mercenaries. You'd end up with a playstyle more based on wealth, economics and having the cash in the bank to pay for your professional mercenaries.
True i did as well got a lot of likes on the paradox forum for it.

I want the iqta to stop being just muslim feudal. It would be cool if you have a good character everything is much easier and you can curbstomp anyone looking at you, but if you have a bad ruler the realm should be on verge of collapse and civil war. Iqta should represent the two extremes of the muslim politics good rulers such as abd al rahman, saladin type characters should be really strong but also represent the extreme bad if a ruler is bad or weak the realm should be fracturing and collapsing.

Btw what were your pitches?

No. I haven't even seen one in games where the Muslim empires are supposed to break apart. The Caliph dies and...nothing. Again, and again, and again. Just an eternal massive blob.

No. I haven't even seen one in games where the Muslim empires are supposed to break apart. The Caliph dies and...nothing. Again, and again, and again. Just an eternal massive blob.
Tbf the caliphate i get not collapsing into civil war all the time places such as Andalusia should be going into civil war. The problem is the islamic empire territories broke away, which is not represented in the game if the ruler or kingdom is weak strong vassals should be able to break away without the the independence faction style and the same with border territories.

I personnally remember a few civil wars happening in Muslim territories in the long run... Problem is that most were Decadence related. And they generally didn't end up breaking the state into pieces, just cause it to be split by infighting for a few years and then it was back at full strength basically.

To be fair it has to be balanced if all relams just break up the muslims will just fall every game and be conquered by the Christians every game which already happens alot if you dont play the early dates. I don't want to see Byzantium constantly conquering the middle east.

tumblr_pf1nnfXyuH1s7mwaco1_640.png

Coming soon: Paradox employees try to suggest Hearts of Iron to the 16 year old granddaughter of the Emperor of Japan, sparking yet another crisis in East Asia in the process.

Holh shit i would pay if they got descended of hohenzollern, ottomans, habsburg, bourbons, richard 3 decendents to play a mulitplayer campaign in crusader, europa and vicky. The meta would be out there.

For the 100th Dev Diary, Paradox has announced it's reworking Duels. Personnal Combat ability have been reworked, and traits as well as opinion will also have an influence on the battle results. Characters with high intrigue (or who have a very friendly and loyal spymaster) can also find ways to win beyond brute force: Martial is thus not the only thing that matters.

To better reflect this, they've also reworked battle events so that leading troops becomes fun once again and that you don't end up becoming Incapable for the rest of your life. The risk will still be there of course, but they're going to rework battle events so they become more dynamic. Can't wait to see my character swearing revenge on the ennemy commander because his cat got killed by a stray arrow :closedtongue:

Finally, the most important part of this dev diary: cosmetic stuff! They reworked the way scarring works: there are now three stages with different visuals to accompany them. They've also worked their way so that you don't always end up with the same scars. They also added new visuals for temporary minor injuries (like a black eye, which is new) as well as for the harelip trait. Aslo you can now have Freckles! Hell, apparently, you can be covered in blood after a duel or a battle...

Finally, if you join a Warrior Lodge or are members of a certain religion... You can get Warpaints and Tatoos! Warpaints are temporary, Tatoos are permanent.

Most of this will be in the free patch: only what is specifically linked to Holy Fury will be in the DLC. So no Warpaint or Tatoos linked to Warrior Lodges if you don't have Holy Fury for example.

Holh shit i would pay if they got descended of hohenzollern, ottomans, habsburg, bourbons, richard 3 decendents to play a mulitplayer campaign in crusader, europa and vicky. The meta would be out there.

inb4 Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia punches Louis Alphonse de Bourbon in the face after being invaded by the Big Blue Blob

New Dev Diary for Holy Fury came around :
  • Sainthood is being added to the game! Characters can first be declared blessed by local religious authorities, before they're declared a Saint. Characters that were declared Saints gain a special nickname, a miracle associated with them (only for flavour though) and will get a special bloodline.
  • All Christian religions can get saints : the only requirement seems to be that they have a religious head.
  • Having someone declaring a saint will result in the province where they are supposed to be buried receiving a modifier, and thus a permanent benefit. Flavour events will also show up on the place where a saint is buried, depending on what happens in it.
  • New icon added in Religion to check which Saints there are and where they're buried.
  • New option for Pilgrimmage events! With the addition of saints, you're not limited to holy sites anymore: you can visit the tomb of a saint. Which is coherent as pilgrimmages to the tomb of a Saint were (and are still) a common thing.
  • There can be canonization controversies if the Pope decides that a Cannibal should become a Saint for example. This can even potentially lead to conflicts.
  • Pagans can get an equivalent to Sainthood, but it requires their religion to reform and for them to pick the Ancestor Veneration doctrine. Of course, Ancestor Veneration isn't exactly Sainthood as a Pagan religion probably doesn't value the same things as Christiannity. If your religion is warlike for example, you're likely to honor great warriors. If you've reformed the religion with a Temporal leadership, then you get to pick who becomes an Ancestor worthy of worship.

The more I learn about Holy Fury, the more I wish it would come out soon! I'm definitely putting bucks into this when it's out!

I'm especially looking forward to the random world/religion generator that's shipping with the upcoming DLC. Everything I've heard about Holy Fury suggests it's going to be the best CKII expansion since The Old Gods.