Metternich's Italian League

While reorganizing Europe, Metternich wanted to implement an Italian League based on the German Confederation to extend Austria's control over Italy. As well as to force the reactionary states to implement reforms to deny nationalists appeal. But he was denied this chance as the Pope and Savoy's (as well as the other Hapsburg princes) didn't want to sacrifice further control of their autonomy to Austria.

How could he establish this league and what effects would it have on Italian history?

A conservative union of Neo city states that Austria is the big Fish
..ummm maybe the Austrians decide italy over balkans?

More like Italy over Germany. Having to hedge against Prussia and Pan-Germanism took up alot of their attention and resources that could have otherwise been used to cultivate influence and stability in Italy. The Ottoman can fairly easily be handled with a detente and integrated into a conservative Southern european order

More like Italy over Germany. Having to hedge against Prussia and Pan-Germanism took up alot of their attention and resources that could have otherwise been used to cultivate influence and stability in Italy. The Ottoman can fairly easily be handled with a detente and integrated into a conservative Southern european order
Excatly, Austria was in prime position in italy and would even contest the french backed savoy out later on, that is a big possibility for a timeline

Excatly, Austria was in prime position in italy and would even contest the french backed savoy out later on, that is a big possibility for a timeline

Savoy would probably drift into.France's orbit still, though as a client on a tighter leash. Naples might as well, in time, especially if the Austrians start pushing for domination behyond simple hegemony.

Savoy would probably drift into.France's orbit still, though as a client on a tighter leash. Naples might as well, in time, especially if the Austrians start pushing for domination behyond simple hegemony.
Depends how things will evolves and if a 1848 esque event happens.

Depends how things will evolves and if a 1848 esque event happens.

Hence the operative word "probably". The odds are distinctly in France's favor though, due to the geography, commercial connections, traditional zones of influence, ect. Plus, if Austria denies France her suitable place in the sun Paris is liable to seek to start undermining her...

Hence the operative word "probably". The odds are distinctly in France's favor though, due to the geography, commercial connections, traditional zones of influence, ect. Plus, if Austria denies France her suitable place in the sun Paris is liable to seek to start undermining her...
And that would bring prussians in the fray as france tried to meddled in the rhine too.. a double punch from both powers?

And that would bring prussians in the fray as france tried to meddled in the rhine too.. a double punch from both powers?

I'd disagree on that count, as Prussia is powerful enough to resist falling under a France and Paris pushing against a major Concert of Europe power directly (as opposed to swapping influence on the edge of spheres) would send alarm bells throughout Europe. Maybe they try to get Bavaria to align to their interests, but otherwise there aren't minor states on the Rhine worth messing with

I'd disagree on that count, as Prussia is powerful enough to resist falling under a France and Paris pushing against a major Concert of Europe power directly (as opposed to swapping influence on the edge of spheres) would send alarm bells throughout Europe. Maybe they try to get Bavaria to align to their interests, but otherwise there aren't minor states on the Rhine worth messing with
Bavaria is overrated and that was the time they got bankrupt thanks their fairytale castle made 400 years too late(that is why in no F-P war world the souther states would join regardless..they need the money)

Still the butterflies are endless, we could see an austria that a 'Confederazione Italiana' is worth figthing as the future of their empire and other things

(you're so pro-french is not funny to discuss)

Bavaria is overrated and that was the time they got bankrupt thanks their fairytale castle made 400 years too late(that is why in no F-P war world the souther states would join regardless..they need the money)

Still the butterflies are endless, we could see an austria that a 'Confederazione Italiana' is worth figthing as the future of their empire and other things

(you're so pro-french is not funny to discuss)

... I'm absurdly Pro-French for saying they don't have the power projection to press against both Prussia and Austria simultaneously, and that the most populous state in Europe has the will and capability to obtain something of a SOI?

... I'm absurdly Pro-French for saying they don't have the power projection to press against both Prussia and Austria simultaneously, and that the most populous state in Europe has the will and capability to obtain something of a SOI?
Yes as they tried and failed otl and only got far thanks austria weakness and focusing in germany and balkans, now we've a france overstretching both the rhine and italy...not a good recipe

Yes as they tried and failed otl and only got far thanks austria weakness and focusing in germany and balkans, now we've a france overstretching both the rhine and italy...not a good recipe

Overstreching? Influencing Savoy is not overreach. It's right on their bloody border. And as I said, I HIGHLY doubt France is going to be pressing on both fronts at once. If there's any bias here, it's on your end in an Austria-wank.

Overstreching? Influencing Savoy is not overreach. It's right on their bloody border. And as I said, I HIGHLY doubt France is going to be pressing on both fronts at once. If there's any bias here, it's on your end in an Austria-wank.
Influencing Savoy as OTL, but savoy being as sucessful as otl is hard, you just mention that france would goes as otl but that not means all as otl and there rivals, plus i not propose a wank, just austria will walk on a different path otl, if that is different ended up being better was the side effect, seriously wank like ASB are overused words

Influencing Savoy as OTL, but savoy being as sucessful as otl is hard, you just mention that france would goes as otl but that not means all as otl and there rivals, plus i not propose a wank, just austria will walk on a different path otl, if that is different ended up being better was the side effect, seriously wank like ASB are overused words

Where did I say anything about Savoy performing as well as OTL?

Well considering what Prussia did to France otl, thinking they'll be able to take Prussia and Austria is indeed a tad ridiculous.
Prussia is not what she was in the Napoleonic wars, her officer core made her something to be feared and I still see the reforms that made it that way likely in this scenario.

Well considering what Prussia did to France otl, thinking they'll be able to take Prussia and Austria is indeed a tad ridiculous.
Prussia is not what she was in the Napoleonic wars, her officer core made her something to be feared and I still see the reforms that made it that way likely in this scenario.
Hindsight is 20-20. We know that France would be mad to fight both Prussia and Sardinia-Piedmont, but did the government of the Second Empire know that? Serious miscalculation is always a possibility.